Albon For Coccidia In Kittens

BohoKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! so i am fostering 5 kittens. they have been diagnosed with coccidia and i have been given Albon to start them on. My question is how well do they usually take this? I am to give .5ml the 1st day and .25ml after that for 9 more days. I have had medicines taste horrible and the kittens freak out n drool n i freak out! and it is also their night feeding time and IDK about giving such a tiny kitten that much medicine on top of his food when he's already not feeling well! *the littlest one is still getting KMR only, the biggest 3 r getting babycat n the 4th is kinda in between! weigh between 13-18oz! any advice/info/opinions on giving the albon for coccidia would be greatly appreciated! i hace been doing this for 5 yrs and never had this one before!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BohoKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I posted this yesterday in the cat health forum and I got ZERO responses :( (mod note: merged, so the thread is no longer there). I am going to start them on it today even if I do not have any advice for my questions. It was suggested on a facebook group that I do the meds at seperate times too... like 1 in the AM and the other in the PM. Anyway, here is the original post. I have never had Coccidia before so i am just a little nervous and want to know as much as I can!

Last edited by a moderator:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you haven't gotten any responses. I am not familiar with coccidia or the medicine you are giving them, but I am sure someone on the site will come forward soon and help you.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont really know about giving it to small kittens, but i do know they must be treated or they will get really sick! also clean clean clean. that is very important!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Albon does not taste bitter, but they still may not like getting it.

Still, it’s very important that they get all their medicine to get rid of the coccidia, which is a common parasite in kittens. Use as directed by the vet.

Squirt it in the sides of their mouths, not straight into the throat.

Please let us know how they do.

Use coconut oil on their bottoms if they are sore or raw from the diarrhea.

BohoKitten BohoKitten

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little ones were 14 days when they were treated with Albon. No problems at all.
Benadryl is the medicine that makes them foam at the mouth and run around like they've swallowed acid.

sallyfry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I posted this yesterday in the cat health forum and I got ZERO responses :( (mod note: merged, so the thread is no longer there). I am going to start them on it today even if I do not have any advice for my questions. It was suggested on a facebook group that I do the meds at seperate times too... like 1 in the AM and the other in the PM. Anyway, here is the original post. I have never had Coccidia before so i am just a little nervous and want to know as much as I can!
I give it by syringe and they just swallow it. Occasionally one spits a little out, but not often. They usually take it pretty well. I give it right before a feeding, when they're going to eat immediately after and get the taste out of their mouths.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Joey had it, but he was 6-7 months old, He didn't hate it
just give it to them slowly, I think it might be sweet