albino? or not..

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One day a few months back I came home to a cat in my garage.. This cat was definitely not accustomed to humans and promptly freaked out knocking all kinds of stuff over, but for the first few seconds he saw me he completely froze in terror, and I noticed he had bright red/pink eyes (not just the pupils). I thought he may have been albino, but he wasn't completely white, he had one or two small washed out looking grayish spots on his back. I was just wondering if he can still be albino even with the fur coloring, and if so how this albinism affects his life (ie, is he expected to be prone to certain diseases, etc).

Since seeing me he's pretty much disappeared, but I have heard other people have seen him so I'm not 100% sure he's out of my life. I don't know if he's deaf or not, but if so he can't make much of a life living in the wild and I'm hoping to help him if possible..

And I just wanted to say thanks to Dr. Oltenacu, we all really appreciate you answering our questions

elizabeth a.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The albino cat is a bit elusive from all I can tell. It doesn't seem to have been seen often enough to be studied, but this albino gene is believed to be the most recessive in the series that includes siamese, etc. There is also at least one genetic disease (caused by a totally different gene) that also produces those red eyes. You are quite right.....that's how you distinguish the true albino usually.
As you see some color, this may indeed be the disease called Chediak-Higashi Syndrome. The blue-grey patches and red eyes fit with it. I think there's a variety of health problems with this abnormality, in addition to the light sensitivity that's typical for albinos.

Thanks for the feedback....I've enjoyed the workout with all your questions!