Air Purifiers

CozyBreakfast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, everybody. I plan on buying an excellent quality air purifier soon for general stuff (dust, cat hair, viruses, VOCs, etc.), and I want one safe for cats. I never owned an air purifier and I wouldn't understand the technical aspects. Is there certain kinds to stay away from such as ones that transmit ozone?

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, ozone is a respiratory irritant. You probably should have a purifier that uses a HEPA filter. That stands for High-Efficiency Particulate Air. I think the unit above, while expensive, should work well.

We used to use HEPA filters for clearing the workspace when I did asbestos abatement so many years ago. Just make sure you keep the pre-filter clean and correctly in place when using a HEPA unit. If you don't, you'll greatly shorten the life of, or will ruin, the HEPA element, and they're pretty expensive (ask me how I know).

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You want a HEPA filter because they can filter the smallest particles that are the most harmful. If you live somewhere that has bad air quality including seasonal wildfires, you definitely want a HEPA filter.

On the low end, I like Hamilton Beach. It only has a small reach though. You may need a couple of these for an average sized room. Luckily they are affordable. But the filters will add up over time. Still, it's better than smoke headaches if you live somewhere where that is a problem.
Amazon.com: Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier with Permanent HEPA Filter for Home or Office and for Allergies and Pets, Whisper Quiet, 3 Filtration Stages, 140 sq ft, White with Grey: Home & Kitchen

On the high end, there are the Dyson air purifiers. These are hard to beat for how much room they can clean and their build quality. If you go for one of the higher end ones that has the wifi app, the sensors and schedules are extremely geeky and useful. A single TP-04 is great for an average-sized room (400 sq ft vs 150 sq ft from the Hamilton Beach.)
https://www.dyson.com/air-treatment/purifiers/dyson-pure-cool/dyson-pure-cool-tower-nickel-nickel

There's plenty of options in between those two. Those are just the ones I know and I can recommend both. I have Dysons in both my living room/bedroom and my home office. I have a Hamilton Beach for the litter box area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CozyBreakfast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, ozone air purifiers are not good generally: Hazardous Ozone-Generating Air Purifiers | California Air Resources Board

I got one of these -- expensive and heavy, but extremely effective and lasts a long time (with carbon filter refills every few years): Healthmate Plus - Welcome to Austin Air Systems. Clinically Proven Air Purifiers. Definitely an investment in general health, especially where I live.
I've been interested in an Austin Air a while. What happened to the Healthmate Junior?

My vet today said he has a Winix and printed it out for me which one he got. I think it was this one:

Amazon.com: Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA, PlasmaWave and Odor Reducing Washable AOC Carbon Filter: Home & Kitchen

I've been interested in Winix too, and they're not that expensive. Anybody have experience with them?

I live in a small one bedroom apartment, so don't know if it'd be worth getting one very expensive Austin Air if I could get one or two Winixes (or other good and not that expensive air purifiers).

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been interested in an Austin Air a while. What happened to the Healthmate Junior?

My vet today said he has a Winix and printed it out for me which one he got. I think it was this one:

Amazon.com: Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA, PlasmaWave and Odor Reducing Washable AOC Carbon Filter: Home & Kitchen

I've been interested in Winix too, and they're not that expensive. Anybody have experience with them?

I live in a small one bedroom apartment, so don't know if it'd be worth getting one very expensive Austin Air if I could get one or two Winixes (or other good and not that expensive air purifiers).
Good question! Increased demand due to COVID-19? One of my friends got the junior version a couple years ago, but yeah, it wasn't available when I was purifier-shopping last year.

CozyBreakfast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You want a HEPA filter because they can filter the smallest particles that are the most harmful. If you live somewhere that has bad air quality including seasonal wildfires, you definitely want a HEPA filter.

On the low end, I like Hamilton Beach. It only has a small reach though. You may need a couple of these for an average sized room. Luckily they are affordable. But the filters will add up over time. Still, it's better than smoke headaches if you live somewhere where that is a problem.
Amazon.com: Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier with Permanent HEPA Filter for Home or Office and for Allergies and Pets, Whisper Quiet, 3 Filtration Stages, 140 sq ft, White with Grey: Home & Kitchen

On the high end, there are the Dyson air purifiers. These are hard to beat for how much room they can clean and their build quality. If you go for one of the higher end ones that has the wifi app, the sensors and schedules are extremely geeky and useful. A single TP-04 is great for an average-sized room (400 sq ft vs 150 sq ft from the Hamilton Beach.)
https://www.dyson.com/air-treatment/purifiers/dyson-pure-cool/dyson-pure-cool-tower-nickel-nickel

There's plenty of options in between those two. Those are just the ones I know and I can recommend both. I have Dysons in both my living room/bedroom and my home office. I have a Hamilton Beach for the litter box area.
A little air purifier for the litterbox is a good idea. First I want one a bigger one for my living room then if it goes well another one for my bedroom. The litterbox is in the bathroom, but don't know if I'm moving it yet and if it's worth getting another air purifier if I have one in the living room which is next to it.

Have you had the Dyson? I like that it has a fan. Not interested in the wifi for health reasons (if it is bad), although I already use wifi for my interested so I don't know if it really matters.

CozyBreakfast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Edit: I already use wifi for my laptop

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Winix gets good reviews in Consumer Reports, and a couple of my neighbors have them and are pleased with them. Blueair and Coway also have good reviews in Wirecutter.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little air purifier for the litterbox is a good idea. First I want one a bigger one for my living room then if it goes well another one for my bedroom. The litterbox is in the bathroom, but don't know if I'm moving it yet and if it's worth getting another air purifier if I have one in the living room which is next to it.

Have you had the Dyson? I like that it has a fan. Not interested in the wifi for health reasons (if it is bad), although I already use wifi for my interested so I don't know if it really matters.
The wifi is for a smartphone app. If you aren't using an Android or iPhone smartphone, then the wifi feature isn't much use to you. What I like about the app is that you can set schedules. You can have the fan blow at one speed during the day and another speed at night. Some of the models have reversible air flow. In the daytime, I have a ceiling fan creating a wind chill for another Dyson that is pushing the cool air towards the other end of the room to another Dyson. That Dyson has it's air flow reversed so that it should be pulling the cool air from the other end of the room. In theory, it should be creating rivers of cooler air through the large room. In reality, fans are fans and they can only do so much. But even if the fans can't replace AC for cooling, they are creating air currents for recirculating purified air. If my breakfast or dinner created a little smoke on the stove, the purifiers are on the task far sooner than the smoke detector.

And then there's Northern California wildfires! The whole reason why I got my first Dyson. There's something smoky in the air today. If I have to keep my windows closed, I'm happy to be locked down with the Dysons on watch.

There are non-wifi models for the Dysons. They still do a great job at what you're buying them for. And some of the models have an LCD display for displaying the sensor values. But I am guessing you can't set schedules and you can't integrate them into a smarthome with automation like the wifi models.

Dysons are not cheap. They start at $400 and up. But for the sensors, the schedules, and if you're a little geeky like I am, the programmability, I have not regretted any of my Dyson purchases. (Though I could do without a face full of exhaust from my Dyson handheld vacuum. That was clearly not a thoughtful design. 🤦‍♂️ )

The Hamilton Beach is very affordable and whisper quiet. It would make a perfect litter box companion regardless of which brand you go with for your room purifiers.

CozyBreakfast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The wifi is for a smartphone app. If you aren't using an Android or iPhone smartphone, then the wifi feature isn't much use to you. What I like about the app is that you can set schedules. You can have the fan blow at one speed during the day and another speed at night. Some of the models have reversible air flow. In the daytime, I have a ceiling fan creating a wind chill for another Dyson that is pushing the cool air towards the other end of the room to another Dyson. That Dyson has it's air flow reversed so that it should be pulling the cool air from the other end of the room. In theory, it should be creating rivers of cooler air through the large room. In reality, fans are fans and they can only do so much. But even if the fans can't replace AC for cooling, they are creating air currents for recirculating purified air. If my breakfast or dinner created a little smoke on the stove, the purifiers are on the task far sooner than the smoke detector.

And then there's Northern California wildfires! The whole reason why I got my first Dyson. There's something smoky in the air today. If I have to keep my windows closed, I'm happy to be locked down with the Dysons on watch.

There are non-wifi models for the Dysons. They still do a great job at what you're buying them for. And some of the models have an LCD display for displaying the sensor values. But I am guessing you can't set schedules and you can't integrate them into a smarthome with automation like the wifi models.

Dysons are not cheap. They start at $400 and up. But for the sensors, the schedules, and if you're a little geeky like I am, the programmability, I have not regretted any of my Dyson purchases. (Though I could do without a face full of exhaust from my Dyson handheld vacuum. That was clearly not a thoughtful design. 🤦‍♂️ )

The Hamilton Beach is very affordable and whisper quiet. It would make a perfect litter box companion regardless of which brand you go with for your room purifiers.
I live in New Jersey and we got wildfire haze for a week or so which is crazy. Even on days it was sunny in the forecast it was hazy. I don't remember the lack of sun here being this much in the summer, and we get a lot of cloudy days throughout the year.

Not really into the fancy stuff with air purifiers (don't get me wrong, I'd think it'd be neat) because the main thing is does it do the job and is the price justified. Though I guess maybe it would be quite useful if I won't be home for a while. I'll look more into it! I'm also cautious with what technology and what they omit.

CozyBreakfast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good question! Increased demand due to COVID-19? One of my friends got the junior version a couple years ago, but yeah, it wasn't available when I was purifier-shopping last year.
I was thinking that it might be sold out. They didn't re-name it either because all are around the same price range.

I saw on Amazon that they have a sold out Austin Air Pet on there. Wonder how old they are.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002119GTW/?tag=thecatsite

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was thinking that it might be sold out. They didn't re-name it either because all are around the same price range.

I saw on Amazon that they have a sold out Austin Air Pet on there. Wonder how old they are.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002119GTW/?tag=thecatsite
No idea! For things like this I order directly from the manufacturer whenever possible -- fewer intermediary steps if something happens to go wrong or needs maintenance.

CozyBreakfast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No idea! For things like this I order directly from the manufacturer whenever possible -- fewer intermediary steps if something happens to go wrong or needs maintenance.
Good advice. Unless I could get a good deal that makes it worth it or I need it as soon as possible, I like doing that too,

CozyBreakfast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Winix gets good reviews in Consumer Reports, and a couple of my neighbors have them and are pleased with them. Blueair and Coway also have good reviews in Wirecutter.
Thanks. I was doing some research on a Wirecutter top 8 review and Consumer Analysis videos on them.

I think I'm going with the Winix 550-2 because of the activated carbon filter and the price is good. It also leaves me room to buy another one for my bedroom. I wouldn't use the PlasmaWave though because it emits ozone even though it's supposedly not harmful (always different reactions and opinions with people on anything).

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My sis got for her son with allergies germgaurdian 4 in 1 air purifying system with hepa at Target. She said it works and her son's allergies were bad. I think $70-80