Agro cat hates my feet

Drdr88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Titan is 4 and I've had him for 3 years. I had him in a harness to go on walks about 2 months ago, and he escaped into the woods twice. He is extremely aggressive now, and my feet and voice in particular trigger him in my two bedroom apartment. In fact...all of me triggers him in general. He's stopped purring and cuddling. It's such a dramatic change that I'm really depressed. I have a completely different cat now.

Any ideas? We fight SO much now that I've considered bringing him back to the adoption agency where I got him 3 years ago.

From,

Defeated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Drdr88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Even prior to the escapes, Titan was a particularly fussy feral orange tabby. Back then, he would only cuddle with me on my bed and no where else. Since the escapes, he lays under my bed instead of on it alongside me. It's extremely frustrating. I can sometimes pick him up and hold him down next to me on my bed, and he will relax and sometimes even pur for about 60 seconds before he jumps off the bed again. There is no more relaxing space for us to hang out together anymore.

There's a lot of animosity between us and I'm not sure what to do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Was he missing for any length of time when he escaped? And, how long ago was his last escape? If not too long ago, he is likely 'mourning' his loss of freedom. It will take time for him to get over it, but I suspect he will. At this stage, I think you need to consider making him an indoor only cat. But, in the meantime, see if there are any tips in this article (see link below) that you might want to try with him.

I presume he is still eating/drinking/using the litterbox with no issues?

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he definitely isn't playing, I'd worry about a medical issue and suggest a vet visit. Two months is kind of a long time for a stress or loss of freedom induced change.