Aggressively Possessive

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ever since last October when Treasure went missing and he and Shaman no longer were friends, Treasure's attitude has changed. I understand that a lot of cats get upset if we're on the phone or talking to someone but yesterday I was trying to troubleshoot something that Mom and I need to run, so was outside. I poured food for Treasure and he took one look at me and literally swatted the phone out of my hand and went into fight mode at me. Last week I was talking to my neighbor's brother to see how she was feeling (she has cancer) and Treasure almost attacked him. I have asked about this before but don't know if anyone ever saw the question or if it got lost in my feral thread. He has no illnesses and this is the only thing I'm seeing. I can't have him attacking everyone that I talk to unless I want to start paying hospital fees. Does anyone have any ideas? Oh and he was part of a hoarding situation that consisted of over 80 cats (all TNRd) and has been tame for 15 months. I'm just perplexed. He's getting aggressively possessive.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
He might have been frightened by some,human recently and now is distrustful of all. This can happen regardless of how tame a cat seemed or was.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is Treasure an indoor or outdoor cat? If indoor, you could be (as, well as your neighbor's brother) bringing in scents from outside that he finds offensive. Maybe there are sprays (such as mosquitoes, for example) that are being done in your area, and he smells that on you? If he is outdoors all the time, it still could be sprays that are being done in the area causing him some sort of distress.

Keep track and make notes each and every time, if it continues to happen, and maybe some sort of pattern will appear. It could be some sort of possessiveness, but even if it is, it was brought about by some trigger.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly he's outdoor because of the Mom situation. I'm indoors 99% of the time because I have to earn money to feed him. No mosquito sprays, against our ordinance because my neighborhood puts feral cats first.