Aggressive Tnr’d Male

Twosunmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and am hopeful for some knowledgeable advice. I have 3 separate, established TNR feral colonies that I have cared for for the past four years. With in the past few weeks, a new, male (fortunately also TNR-just not by me) has shown up at one of feeding stations and is extremely aggressive toward the others. The only way I can ensure everyone eats is to try to feed him (Meanie) separately while I stand guard, keeping him from attacking the others. I cannot always do this however, and I am finding that my established kitties (it’s a small colony of only 3) seem to simply not eat if I don’t stand guard the entire time. Also, when I do stay, even after they have all eaten , I have watched him still chase the others away and can hear the cat fighting in the distance. It just makes me sick! Is this something I should just get over and allow them to work out ? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a toughie for me, because we've had this happen and have had both sides to the situation and solution happen, which is either watching the new cat closely and seeing if they're slowing down the aggression, even just a little. Sometimes they come into a colony and want to make a big impression and act like complete asses, but eventually calm down and realize they're not being challenged and decide to not be like that. And other times, they don't and enjoy bullying, and the solution for us has been to trap, and take elsewhere. We're lucky enough to be in a situation where shelters that will take in cats like this and adopt these cats out to ranches, farms, or as outdoor cats, so the hope that someone needs a mouser or a good barn cat is always there.
I hate doing this, and have only had to do it a few times. But I watch my own ranch colony and everyone is good, everyone gets along and stays on the property, and when a bully comes along and starts upsetting the balance I take notice. And when they bully out of pure aggression and not out of fear/insecurity, I take action.
We had a little barn cat show up that was as shy as she was sweet. She never left the main barn, and loved sleeping in little cracks in hay or straw bales. She never fought anyone and seemed content to just get a few meals a day, hang out, and be a happy little barn kitty. A bully tom showed up and upset the balance. This little kitty, who never even wanted to venture 5 feet out of the barn doors, came up missing one day and a day or so after that I found her hit, dead on the road. I am 100% convinced the bully tom (who was later taken away as he didn't quit this behavior) badgered her, terrified her and sent her running into a world she wasn't prepared for and met a terrible end that she didn't deserve or ask for.
I don't envy your situation. And I'm sorry for the long post, but I understand there are so many what if's and variables and hear the frustration and worry in the tone of your message. I feel for you.
Could you call around to humane societies, shelters, rescues, and ask about their adoption policy? He might work out perfectly for someone with a small farm, that wants "one cat" to do the mousing job, but won't welcome 10 or 15 random strays into his club.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could he possibly be sick? Has he had a vet check recently?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twosunmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maggie, I don’t think there is any illness, as he looks very healthy, and will come up to me and allow me to pet him - so I can see him up close. He almost acts as if he has been a house kitty at one point... he’s very vocal and friendly with me if I give him time to walk up to me, but again, he has a tipped ear.
Thank you too, Bruce, for your kind and thorough reply. I do hate the thought of trying to take him somewhere else. But exactly what happened to your sweet little barn girl is what I am fearful of with my 3 mild mannered, long-term kitties. They live around in elementary school in a neighborhood with some relatively busy streets, and I have seen them dart across the roadway without looking, in fear of Meanie. They are normally quite car savvy. For now, I think I will continue to monitor their eating as much as possible and try to hopefully assimilate him into the group. At the very least, it is helpful to know I am not alone in my quandary in trying to deal with this issue. If anyone has any more thoughts, I’m always open. Thanks to all who maintaining contribute to this site. What a godsend!!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie, I don’t think there is any illness, as he looks very healthy, and will come up to me and allow me to pet him - so I can see him up close. He almost acts as if he has been a house kitty at one point... he’s very vocal and friendly with me if I give him time to walk up to me, but again, he has a tipped ear.
Thank you too, Bruce, for your kind and thorough reply. I do hate the thought of trying to take him somewhere else. But exactly what happened to your sweet little barn girl is what I am fearful of with my 3 mild mannered, long-term kitties. They live around in elementary school in a neighborhood with some relatively busy streets, and I have seen them dart across the roadway without looking, in fear of Meanie. They are normally quite car savvy. For now, I think I will continue to monitor their eating as much as possible and try to hopefully assimilate him into the group. At the very least, it is helpful to know I am not alone in my quandary in trying to deal with this issue. If anyone has any more thoughts, I’m always open. Thanks to all who maintaining contribute to this site. What a godsend!!
We've had the occasional bully chill out and become a nice cat that the others like, so there is always hope! Good idea for keeping watch on their food intake.
Another thing that might work, is if he walks up to another cat that's eating and runs them off, march up to the food and snatch it away. Don't just remove it, SNATCH it away quickly. Most of the cats here have learned that when they pick fights with established cats, they do not receive the thing they were trying to steal.
I don't believe for one second that we humans are somehow "superior" to cats i their minds, and I'm not pushing that crazy idea on anyone...but once the new cat realizes that we provide food and that kind of behavior isn't going to get them anything, we've seen the wheels turning when they approach a peaceful cat eating. 90% of the time, they think it over, approach, and begin eating as well. When they can eat peacefully, the food stays and the supply is plentiful.