Aggressive cat - help please!!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm posting on behalf of my friend as she is very upset right now.

She has a 4 year old female spayed cat who has always been quite wild. She has always been allowed in and out of the house. She has very long fur and my friend groomed her regularly. HOWEVER my friend had a baby daughter 8 months ago. Because of the big change in her life the cat wasn't groomed as often as she should have been. This makes the cat more aggressive so they then had to sedate the cat to clip her hair and attempt to groom her. At the moment she apparently has clumps cut off her as it was the only way they could get the matts out.

Yesterday the cat attacked her daughter. It was totally unprovoked; her daughter just went to hold onto the chair that the cat was sitting on. My friend's father went mad when he heard and came round with a cage to take the cat to the vet to get put down. My friend does not want this as she is mad about the cat but she doesn't know what to do. I am not in a position to take the cat as she and Harry would kill each other. Harry has to come first. I suggested ringing a shelter and see if they could get her placed. The only other option is to keep her as an outside-only cat. My friend would not be particularly happy about this either.

Can anyone give any advice as to how they could try and tame their cat or at least get the cat and baby to co-habit without anyone getting hurt? Or should she just give up and take the cat to a no-kill shelter? I'd really appreciate any advice to give her.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Of course, they should keep a very close eye on the baby and the cat when they are together. The cat probably interpreted the baby's approach to the chair as an aggressive move and reacted accordingly.

Whenever the baby makes an aggressive move towards the cat or vice versa they should distract and re-direct.

Also, make the baby's room a 'cat free zone' at least for now. And, if possible, designate a room for the cat as a 'baby free zone'.

Your friend should point out to her father (the baby's grandfather, I guess?) that the cat is as much a part of the family as the baby, and she is not going to get rid of the cat until everything else has been tried. In any case, you don't put down a perfectly healthy cat for simply following its instincts.

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

Your friend should point out to her father (the baby's grandfather, I guess?) that the cat is as much a part of the family as the baby, and she is not going to get rid of the cat until everything else has been tried. In any case, you don't put down a perfectly healthy cat for simply following its instincts.
Wow... ya. I don’t understand how someone can automatically just decide to put a cat down on impulse... I would have given my Dad a swift talking to! He is my dad but... a cat is a life.

Having children and non-friendly animals can work out well if your willing to work at it. Im assuming most parents keep on eye on their children majority of the time so as Zane said just keep them away from each other. Make the baby room cat free.

There has to be 100's of other choices other then putting the cat down. Why would you put a healthy cat down?

Of course i have no solutions now because my day at work sucks and my brain is fried but i am sure someone will come around shortly and suggest some awesome advice because that’s why TCS is the best! Because the people are the best!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope also that a lot of attention (other than grooming) is being given to the cat, who is understandly jealous of the baby - maybe a private love session in a separate room every day, or 10 mins 2-3 times daily if possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I have to make it clear that this cat has always been aggressive and my friend has given the cat a lot of love and attention. However now her love and attention HAS to be divided because she has a daughter as well! The cat has never been allowed into the daughter's room so that is not an issue. You can't blame the baby for being in the cat's space, for God's sake she's 8 months old.

Regarding the dad wanting to get the cat put down, that was one comment. If you read my post, other solutions were offered too and the very last resort would be putting the cat down. It is not an option at the moment, just a reaction of a grandfather wanting to protect his grandchild. I more mentioned it as my friend really really does not want this to happen and she came to me looking for other options. If other posters choose to give me advice on this, please do not dwell on that comment.