Aggressive Cat After Being Neutered

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 7 rescue cats that have been inside. They were all getting along until last week. Four had been spayed/neutered. I had to separate one female because she was in heat and hadn’t been spayed yet. There were also 2 males left to be neutered. They were fixed this past Saturday but 2-3 days before being neutered one of the males started to get aggressive with one female ( already spayed) in particular. Now that he has been neutered, he’s just as bad. The poor female trys to keep away and is scared of him. A couple of nights I’ve kept her by herself in another part of the house and then I let her back in with the others during the day because I can keep an eye on them. I don’t know if his behavior will calm down in a few weeks or not. Am I doing the wrong thing by separating her during the night? Help! Is there anything that I could do to stop him from being aggressive? Sometimes he gets aggressive with the others but not as bad as the one particular female.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It can take a few weeks for his hormones to diminish so he is acting normally but it is good to keep them separated for awhile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you. But I’ve noticed if cats are separated for a time when I’ve tried to introduce them again, they hiss and growl. I have those seven cats confined to one section of my house and I have two older cats in another part of the house. They’ve been alone forever so it’s impossible for them to accept another cat. On the nights I separated the one female that was getting the brunt of the aggressive cat, I’ve had to close my older cats in a bedroom for the night. The past few nights I’ve left the female in with the six cats. Very nerve racking trying to get them to get along again.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It’s just puzzling why he’s picking on the one particular cat more than others

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long before he became aggressive was she spayed? Just wondering if it is on-recognition aggression from her coming back from the vet smelling differently?
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats

Or maybe Re-directed Aggression In Cats. In that something startled/upset him, and he's blaming her.

Here's one more TCS article that might have some answers for you:
Why Do Cats Attack?
The female he’s being aggressive with was spayed four months ago. Her mother and sister were also spayed four months ago but he doesn’t seem to bother them as much.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok, so it's probably not non-recognition aggression. It could still be re-directed aggression, so maybe look through that article.