Aggression towards sick cat

Calypso522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need some advice about cat aggression. I have three cats, two 4 year old females who in the past acted like a bonded pair. I also have a 12 year old female who usually just keeps to herself. One of my two younger cats has chronic urinary tract issues and as soon as that flares up the other 4 year old will start attacking her mercilessly. They notice the smell. I do lock her up in a room alone while she’s sick to prevent bloody urine from getting all over the house.

Now that she’s better I’ve been letting her out, but the aggression is driving me crazy. Constant growling, hissing, attacks. Her formerly bonded friend just literally beats her up constantly. I have wiped them both down with burts bees kitty wipes. I also have feliway classic diffusing upstairs and downstairs and one feliway multicat diffuser as well. I’ve also rubbed towels all over the non sick cat and then rubbed it on the sick cat. Nothing will stop the attacks. The cat being attacked doesn’t fight back, just cowers and runs and screeches. this usually goes on for a couple weeks after each vet visit or illness.

Does anyone have any other ideas for how to make them friends again faster? Alices urinary issues probably are made worse by stress. And it pains me to have her get hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Calypso522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also try to play with the aggressive cat (Ping-Ping) with lasers and bird feather toys until I think she’s exhausted. But she still finds the energy to beat up her friend. Alice’s urinary symptoms have stopped completely, for what it’s worth. She seems back to normal.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sounds to me like you may have to treat these two cats as if they are brand new to each other, via a formal introduction process. You can always try one more trick with vanilla to see if that might work beforehand (see link to that below). If the sick cat is still on medications of any kind, that too, can make a cat smell differently. Has this cat been re-checked by the vet to make sure her urinary issues are over? See the other links below for additional information on what you can do to get these two back together again.
Ode to vanilla extract
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats – Cat Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles

Calypso522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links. I’ll try the vanilla thing.

She was diagnosed with FILUTD after three occurrences last year. They did urine cultures and urinalysis and blood work, and couldn’t find bacteria or crystals or stones. The vet said I didn’t have to bring her in, unless the flare didn’t get better in a few days, so she hasn’t been to the vet this time. She’s on the urinary prescription diet and uromaxx supplement. She smells ok to me lol. But definitely not to Ping Ping. Kiki my older cat only jumps in when it gets too noisy. Otherwise she doesn’t pay them any mind.

Calypso522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vanilla extract didn’t make a bit of difference 😭😭😭. I enjoyed the smell though.