Aggression towards one cat

Qashim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have four cats. Two are one and a half year old.
And the other two are eight months old.
So one of my cat which is one and a half year old is aggressive towards my one of eight months old cat.
During the day everything seems normal between them. They sleep together and all. But during night she hisses and attacks her. And only her.
The eight month old is now getting startled by everything.
Please help!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would set up a camera, especially if they are not with you at night, and see what might be going on. Since it is only at night, I am wondering if the 8mo is not settling down as quickly as the others and is annoying the 1 1/2 year old, who is retaliating. Separating them as Furballsmom Furballsmom has suggested would be helpful, but you still need to see if you can figure out if there is a specific reason why this is only happening at night and not all the time.

Is the 8mo taking over the other cat's sleeping area/bedding/etc. - but only at night? Is the 8mos spayed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Qashim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Do you have a way to contain either the aggressor kitty, or the eight month old at night?

Try loving on the eight month old a lot to help build her confidence up.

I'm thinking there might be some jealousy and/or territorial/resource guarding going on (maybe you if they all try to sleep with you?).

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do) – TheCatSite Articles
I could contain them but I seriously don't want to.
The two one and a half year old are litter mates.
And the two eight month old are also litter mates.
So if I contain either one of them then it would have a impact on the other cause they love to play with each other at night.
We love the eight month old but wouldn't it cause more aggression towards her if it's out of jealousy?

Qashim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I would set up a camera, especially if they are not with you at night, and see what might be going on. Since it is only at night, I am wondering if the 8mo is not settling down as quickly as the others and is annoying the 1 1/2 year old, who is retaliating. Separating them as Furballsmom Furballsmom has suggested would be helpful, but you still need to see if you can figure out if there is a specific reason why this is only happening at night and not all the time.

Is the 8mo taking over the other cat's sleeping area/bedding/etc. - but only at night? Is the 8mos spayed?
No at night they sleep in different rooms. Only during the day they like to sleep together.
The older cat likes her space at night but the eight month never disturbs her.
Even if the eight month old is sleeping somewhere at night and the older one comes into that room she just attacks her.
No both eight months old are not spayed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No at night they sleep in different rooms. Only during the day they like to sleep together. The older cat likes her space at night but the eight month never disturbs her. Even if the eight month old is sleeping somewhere at night and the older one comes into that room she just attacks her. No both eight months old are not spayed.
So, am I to understand that the older cat seeks out the 8mo in the middle of the night and just attacks her while she is sleeping, but, they are OK with each other all day long?
Other than getting her spayed to see if that might be part of the issue, I honestly think there is something else going on that you are not aware of. Still would recommend the camera to see if it would shed light on anything.

Qashim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, am I to understand that the older cat seeks out the 8mo in the middle of the night and just attacks her while she is sleeping, but, they are OK with each other all day long?
Other than getting her spayed to see if that might be part of the issue, I honestly think there is something else going on that you are not aware of. Still would recommend the camera to see if it would shed light on anything.
Could this be a space issue? The eight month old likes to get groomed by her.
Or could it be for something particular like a stuffed toy or something which older cat loves and now she has to share.

Qashim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is territorial aggression directed towards one cat?
All of my cats are not spayed. I tried getting all of them spayed but the vet told us they couldn't do it until they were a year old and then the pandemic hit.
I reside at a small hill town in India and there are not much very options available here for the vet. I really wanted to get them spayed but they wouldn't do it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could this be a space issue? The eight month old likes to get groomed by her.
Or could it be for something particular like a stuffed toy or something which older cat loves and now she has to share.
Unless the 8mo has taken over a spot that the 1 yo used to sleep in, I don't know how it could be a space issue. Ditto for the toy - unless the 8mo is sleeping with the toy. There will be occasions when a younger cat would drive another cat crazy by getting in their face too much, but since you said this is happening at night when the 8mo is sleeping, it seems that scenario would be ruled out.
Is territorial aggression directed towards one cat?
All of my cats are not spayed. I tried getting all of them spayed but the vet told us they couldn't do it until they were a year old and then the pandemic hit. I reside at a small hill town in India and there are not much very options available here for the vet. I really wanted to get them spayed but they wouldn't do it.
Echoing what I said above about space/toys, as it would also apply to territorial aggression. But, you might be having an issue because of all of them not being spayed - could be attributing to the behavior you are seeing.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I still think that you want to consider containing the older kitty at night so that she can't gain access to the 8 month old, at least until you can get them all spayed. This is too much stress for your 8 month old baby to deal with.

Qashim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know it's too much stress for the eight year old. I have been increasing their playtime for a while now.
Is there any other option apart from containing the older one?
The older one likes to sit near the windows at night so containing her in one room won't be easy for me.
And she gets very scared very easily and will hide under the bed whenever she will hear any unfamiliar sound.
I so want to help the eight year old but I think containing the older one will only make her behaviour more aggressive towards the other.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know it's too much stress for the eight year old. I have been increasing their playtime for a while now. Is there any other option apart from containing the older one? The older one likes to sit near the windows at night so containing her in one room won't be easy for me. And she gets very scared very easily and will hide under the bed whenever she will hear any unfamiliar sound. I so want to help the eight year old but I think containing the older one will only make her behaviour more aggressive towards the other. ...
I have four cats. Two are one and a half year old. And the other two are eight months old.
I am confused, I thought you had two 1 1/2 year olds, and two 8mo olds (based on your original post as noted above).
Now you are saying there is an 8 yo? So, who is attacking who?

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think auto correct may have turned --month old into --year old for Qashim Qashim .

I think containing the older one will only make her behaviour more aggressive towards the other.
I doubt it.
What if you stayed up for a couple of nights to observe and try to determine exactly why the older one is attacking the 8 month old.

Qashim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry autocorrect turned eight month old into eight year old.
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner thank you for your help. Appreciate your time and support.

Furballsmom Furballsmom will do that for sure.

Qashim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! How are things going? Have you been able to see anything more specific?
When she attacks the eight month old. The eight month old tends to follow her back.
She will never attack, hiss or growl at the eight month old when she is in heat.
And she attacks the eight month old while sleeping in most cases when she's near the stuffed teddy.
And the older cat has sometimes started growling and hissing at the other eight month old who will hide somewhere mostly under the bed.