Aggression after neutering?

vicious vaness

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gus is about 6 months old. We've had him since he was about 9 weeks. We got him neutered about 2 weeks ago. Since then, he's been really aggressive. Before, when we played with him, he would never really bite or scratch. He would back off, but now he's biting and scratching with a lot more force and does it repeatedly. We tell him "no biting" but he doesn't listen anymore.

We used to be able to take him off the kitchen table and say "down" and he would go down, but now he won't and he more consistently tries to get on top of the table. Has anyone else experienced a more aggressive change in behavior after neutering? Could neutering do this, or could this be because heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s getting older?

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is Gus an only cat? If so then he probably doesn't realize that his scratching/biting is hurting anyone. I know my cats play together quite aggressively and before I got Monty Bootsie would play too agressively with me.

I got Monty when he was around 6 mos. He thought he was so tough, and could do anything he wanted and not listen to "down" or anything. He's also at a point in his life when he just wants food all the time. If you're persistent though, he will eventually get it.

I don't know about the neutering causing any of this. After Monty was neutered I hadn't noticed any change at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vicious vaness

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's the only cat. I'm not sure if it's because of the neutering or because he's growing up. But we've noticed the change after we got him neutered. We found some of his baby teeth last week, so we thought it could be teething, but I think he has all of his adult teeth now.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He could have been frightened by something while at the vets. Keep your hands away from him let him just mellow out. Don't make direct eye contact with him and see if that helps. It sounds like PTSD to me

vicious vaness

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He doesn't randomly attack us. He's definately playing with us, but when he plays he's more aggressive.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet told me that even after being neutered, it can take a few weeks for the male hormones to settle down.......just before we had Toby neutered at about 5 months....there was a female hanging around outside and he was going nuts trying to get out to her.....it continued for over 2 weeks after he was fixed and then finally dwindled off....might be the same thing with the aggression.
Linda

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
This is EXACTLY what happened to Sleeves. I wasn't happy with the vet and the hygeine of the place so I think something upset him. Two days after his neuter I was very worried about his agression so I registered with a new vet and took Sleeves in for a check up, the vet said he was most likely in pain and didn't know how else to express it, other than attacking us. He gave Sleeves an anti-inflamatory (please excuse the spelling) injection to ease any pain. His agression just seemed to vanish. Once his hormones had settled, about 3 weeks or so, we got him Nismo and since then I have not been bitten once.
Good luck with him I hope he's ok

vicious vaness

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad I'm not the only one. It feels as if he knows what I did and hates me for it!
Thanks a lot for the reassurance. He's just started to sleep with us again.

kelly hays

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so grateful for this thread! I unexpectedly got Maverick when he was about 6 months old. He had a lot of health issues so I wasn't comfortable getting him neutered until he was healthy and I'd paid off all of the other vet bills which ended up being when he was 10 months old. 

I have 2 other cats and all three got along just fine. Maverick was neutered 2 weeks ago and just started being agressive towards Jester. Jester doesn't even want to leave his 'safe spots'. I've had Maverick locked in a room for the last 2 days so Jester can use the litter box and eat in peace. This aggression came out of nowhere, the only change is Maverick's surgery. They've been living together for 4 months without any issues before that.

Cheryl Jackson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had my 13 year old male neutered at the advise of my vet 2 months ago, now he is aggressive and attacking the humans in the house and my 4 other cats.. I am so heart broken. I wish I had never got him neutered, he is sitting in kitty jail right now for 10 days for biting my daughter and grandson.. I am afraid to bring him home after all this.. Wish us luck!!

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a sad situation for you. I am so sorry to hear about what has happened with your cat. Some time has passed now and I am hoping he is home and the aggression has subsided.

I came looking for advice since I had my two year old male neutered about a month ago and his aggression is out of control. I manage a feral cat colony of about 55 cats and he has become the resident bully. I always try to get close to the kittens born in the colony and "Sammy" wasn't like that as a youngster. He was neutered while undergoing a great deal of medical care (2 appointments per week for almost 2 months) because of a leg injury. The Vet felt the injury was from a coyote, but now I am not so sure. I am wondering if someone just had enough of Sammy's aggression and beat him up.

Anyway it is very upsetting to the colony and me. I was hoping there would be an answer here. I don't know if the combination of being confined for so long and the neutering is what has caused this but I really hope it is a temporary thing.

I hope you will update us with news about your cat.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 7 rescue cats that have been inside. They were all getting along until last week. Four had been spayed/neutered. I had to separate one female because she was in heat and hadn’t been spayed yet. There were also 2 males left to be neutered. They were fixed this past Saturday but 2-3 days before being neutered one of the males started to get aggressive with one female ( already spayed) in particular. Now that he has been neutered, he’s just as bad. The poor female trys to keep away and is scared of him. A couple of nights I’ve kept her by herself in another part of the house and then I let her back in with the others during the day because I can keep an eye on them. I don’t know if his behavior will calm down in a few weeks or not. Am I doing the wrong thing by separating her during the night? Help! Is there anything that I could do to stop him from being aggressive? Sometimes he gets aggressive with the others but not as bad as the one particular female.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Babypaws Babypaws - this thread that you have posted to is old. Please start your own thread - it will get better results. You can even copy and paste your post above to a new thread. I will look to see when you do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
supermax1943 supermax1943 , as I told the above poster, you are posting to an old thread. What is going on now, and are you still looking for advice/help/tips/suggestions? If so, start your own thread, and you can even copy and paste the information you provided above as part of your new post. Hope you see this!

Last edited: