Aggresive Cat is causing a lot of problem

Sophia terzi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,
Me and my twin sister are living together, in a big house with a cat that we found 2,5 years ago. She was 25days old when we found her. At the age of two, we were cooking for the Easter with a friend who was living with us for those days (she knew our friends very good, since she was visiting a lot). My friends told her to leave the kitchen and then she got really really mad at her and i tried to stop her from attacking but she started yowling at me.
Since then we had more attacks (serious, not just a hit) and the cat was very anxious and very energetic. After 1 month she was better but still she was very anxious when she heard a noise, etc.
Just the other day, another friend came (that she also know very good) and we were making pizza in the kitchen and she went at her and started hissing and the she attacked, my friend was shouting and went into a room. She got mad at everyone, then. We had to leave the house for once more.
The next day, i went home with my sister and the car was behaving odd, like eveytime this happends, but she did not attack. She is smelling everything in the house. She is getting scared very easily...
After a few days, i was walking in my room, after having spend the whole day in the house with the cat and my sister walked the same time beside me and she went absolutely crazy. She was yawling so loud, and for so long...I standed still, if i was making a move, i don't know if i could get out of my room. She was underneath my bed, she came, she smelled me and then she went back underneath my bed and she continued yawling. I grabbed a blanket, i putted in front of my feet, so she cannot she me and i went outside, at the balcony, where i had to hold the door with my shaking hands, until i found i way to shut it with a rope with my sister.
She talked with a vet neurologist and he told us it might be epilepsy. She is on medication for 4 days, but i dont see any difference.
It is absolutely horryfing, i cannot live in the same house with this cat. We love her so much, but she is going to make us really sick with this behavior.
Has anyone lived anything like this?
Do you have any suggestions?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My friends told her to leave the kitchen and then she got really really mad at her
Hi!
Help me understand more clearly what happened initially during that Easter time. Your friend wanted the cat out of the kitchen, but then who got mad at who?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sophia terzi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry that i haven't explained what happened in a more understandable way but i am really stressed. The cat of course got mad at me, when i tried to stop her from attacking to my friend. It was a redirected aggresion incident.

Sophia terzi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat got mad at my friend and then, when i tried to stop her (the cat) from attacking to my friend, the cat got mad at me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
when i tried to stop her from attacking to my friend
I was just trying to find out what your friend did that caused your cat to become so upset, but you're right, it's in the past.

Anyway, yes, there have been similar situations. Do you know anyone who would be interested in adopting the cat?

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My point is that she's as frightened and stressed as you are. Is there anyone from your vet's office who could come to your house and work with her, or who might be able to find an adopter?

Sophia terzi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that this would not help. The cat is coming in my face to scare me when i m sleeping, something like checking me. The are other things that have happened that i didnt mention. The vet says that noone would want to adopt that cat and i think it would be unethical to give it to someone.
After the multiple attacks, i m not sure that i am going to trust her. What if she attacks someone else or if she hurt us really bad?
The thing is that we love her really much and i wouldnt want to put her to sleep. Has anyone faced the same situation in the past? Is there any advice?

FedeA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have just found this thread googling the same behavior.
A week ago my cat got scared all of a sudden and she attacked me and my mother. The next day after locking her in the kitchen to calm down (we were very scared of this incident as she never displayed any signs of aggression towards us) she was meowing and approached us as every other day. Twenty minutes passed by and suddenly she hissed, yowled and then attacked me again.

We thought it was something against me so I left myself out of the equation as much as I could (by not stopping by her house) and my mother handled her by leaving her in the kitchen or the rest of the apartment by closing the door and interacting with the cat very briefly when she was being 'friendly'

On Saturday evening we had another episode of this situation, this time against my mom and we are simply devastated.

A cat behaviorist told us the first episode was redirected aggression but this keeps repeating and the trust in our cat is slowly fading away. It's so spontaneous that we don't know what triggers her.

FedeA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to add she is 2 years old, we found her as a kitten and a month ago she got spayed.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your entire house is filled with stress. I would suggest that you give her her own room, with all her things. Have the litter box and food bowls and water near to the door. Use a big piece of cardboard to protect yourself when you reach in to retrieve the litter box for cleaning and to get the food and water bowls for cleaning and refilling.

Otherwise, leave her alone. You all need time away from each other, to decompress and to relax.

if the current medicine doesn't help, talk to your vet about anti anxiety medication.

Towards the bottom of this article there is helpful information about medicines that you will need to know.

Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Others have had this happen. There are a lot of things to check out. Fist, is she in any pain? Did the vet thoroughly check her out? Blood work , teeth , stomach, still sample etc.? Even stomach cramping can cause a cat to be frantic and not understand where the pain comes from. They may feel the nearest moving thing is hurting them.
If all is okay health wise then, has she had any accidents where she got stepped on, accidentally closed in a closet, caught somewhere or has anyone been loud, yelling at each other or her? That can cause fear as she sees your home as her territory to protect. Cats don’t understand how humans can argue and it’s still not a threat. Other loud noises could be scaring her too. Something from outside maybe?
Scents can trigger fear. Any new scents with cleaning products, perfumes, furniture, drapes that may be unknown to her? Many furniture or fabrics contain chemicals that could be an irritant for her. Scent is very important to cats and it is how they recognize each other, prey, predators and their home.
Any new foods? That can upset her tummy and cause discomfort.
Litter habits the same? No new litter products? Cats are very routine oriented. Change can be scary.
Any scent or animal that she may notice outside? Often we are not aware of cats or other creatures lurking near doors or windows but kitty will know! Especially if it is a predator or something she had a run in with at some time. For instance, if a male cat is spraying near your home, a kitten is crying outside or a raccoon is looking in a window at night. I have experienced all the above with various cats and all issues were solved. Try not to despair. For now, usuing a stiff piece of cardboard that your kitty has rubbed against and carried her scent can be used to block her from you if she gets upset. Speak to her in your usual and normal voice. If possible, and I know this is very hard, try not to show great fear. You have handled it all well. Removing yourself to let her calm down.
There are calming products out there. A Feliway diffuser or calming collar may help. With some, it does. Calming music can be found online that is specific to cats. I used a radio to calm some and it also helped to muffle any outside distractions.
lastly, give her a spot of her own as a safe sanctuary. A small bathroom or cat carrier/cage that she can run too if she is upset. Put her favorite things there. Give her yummy food treats there too and let her know that nothing will invade that space. I hope something here will help and I am sure others will be along with further tips from their own experiences.:alright: Please do keep us updated.

Sophia terzi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thing that something triggers the cat in the kitchen, but she cannot calm down know. My sister is with hee so she wont feel alone. I left the house for a few days. I m pretty sure it hasn't got to do with the house been full of stress. There is something called hypersensitive syndrome of cat.
Few days after the first incident and when everything was fine, she flew on my head when i kneeled down the table of the kitchen( she was on the table).
This cat might hurt someone very back if we dont find away to solve the problem. Maybe someone who will come to visit...or even us. We have to find a way yo keep her calm. When she hears a sound she ignites her tail and she looks all around. She can rub on you feet and after a little time she cat attack you

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be all about a specific trigger. It can take some detective work but maybe some of the things I posted above will help you to figure out the trigger and be able to avoid or eliminate it completely. She may still be jumpy for a while but please don’t give up. We’ll be here to try and help you work this out.

Sophia terzi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We will try to calm her down with medication. We have to give her anti-anxiety drugs for the rest of her life, because ever since the first incident, she is not the same. Possilby, she has the hypersensitivity syndrome. I hope she is going to be fine, because i cannot live in my own home. Neither does my sister. We are under the fear of her attack for days now. We are exhausted. We will do our best.
We love the animals, we love the cat, we will be patient, but also we have to be carefull and responsible for ourselves and other people around us.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What did your friend do when she told her to leave? It is strange that a simple "Leave" or "Out" would set her off to such aggression. As others have said, there has to be something triggering her.

Are you saying that she has Hyperesthesia syndrome? Has your vet addressed that possibility? What medications have your vet suggested for the anxiety and aggression?

Sophia terzi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She just did a gesture to tell her to leave. Nothing bad. The last time thought, my friend didnt do anything (it was not the same person with the first time). The doctor is giving her phenoleptil. its antiepileptic. I dont know if it works, we ll see in 10 days...

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you all get some relief. If it is a seizure disorder then certain things can also trigger seizures. Blinking lights, flashing of sun and shadow repeatedly, some sights, sounds and smells. Maybe if you keep a few notes after a problem it might give you some clue as to what is causing her to become aggressive. Hoping the medicine or something else brings your home back to being peaceful very quickly. Our hearts are with you.

Sophia terzi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have just found this thread googling the same behavior.
A week ago my cat got scared all of a sudden and she attacked me and my mother. The next day after locking her in the kitchen to calm down (we were very scared of this incident as she never displayed any signs of aggression towards us) she was meowing and approached us as every other day. Twenty minutes passed by and suddenly she hissed, yowled and then attacked me again.

We thought it was something against me so I left myself out of the equation as much as I could (by not stopping by her house) and my mother handled her by leaving her in the kitchen or the rest of the apartment by closing the door and interacting with the cat very briefly when she was being 'friendly'

On Saturday evening we had another episode of this situation, this time against my mom and we are simply devastated.

A cat behaviorist told us the first episode was redirected aggression but this keeps repeating and the trust in our cat is slowly fading away. It's so spontaneous that we don't know what triggers her.
Our stories are very similar. We will be in touch

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We have to give her anti-anxiety drugs for the rest of her life,
You don't want to make this assumption, because you don't know this.

it hasn't got to do with the house been full of stress.
I didn't mean initially, I meant now, currently, but you said you left the house for a few days. Is your sister frightened of the cat? Where was the cat during this time - did your sister have her contained in one room? What happened while you were gone, were there any incidents?

Do seizure disorders begin after a cat is two years old?

Assuming that your original assesment of redirected aggression is correct, the initial cause could have been that your friend had touched a dog or other cat and therefore smelled like that other dog or cat. Or, if your friend didn't yell at the cat and hadn't touched another animal prior to coming to your house for Easter, there's possibly a stray cat outside your kitchen/house/apartment.

Our stories are very similar.
Pay very close and strict attention to every single thing Jcatbird Jcatbird has written in the posts above. This member has more experience with your exact situation than most of the rest of us combined, and as stated here;
I have experienced all the above with various cats and all issues were solved.

Last edited:

Sophia terzi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sister is very afraid of her, since she is unpredictable, but she tries to be calm and next to her.
The cat is not contained in a room, because this might stress her more.
She was contained in a room only for one day.
After the last incident with the other friend in the kitchen, we were very scared but we played with her, se slept on our legs etc.
For some reason she is stressed when she sees 2 people standing, or passing by her.
On Easter my friend was in the house for days, she didnt go out to touch any stray animal.
The cat is getting fed outside the kitchen and we give her treats there.
I'm not sure if the is epilepsy, neither does the doctor. It seems to me more like she is dominative, stressed and gets irritated easily.
Also, if she gets mad with a person, after that she is attacking the same person again and again and if someone else gets in the way, she gets mad at the other person too. Even if that person comes home after 2 days, she is still attacking them.
Unfortunatelly i cannot explain more