Age is a state of mind, but...

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So last night was my staff Halloween party and it took place at a restaurant/bar. We started by having dinner then a band and DJ played thru the rest of the night. I didn't stay late (it's not my "thing") but It was fun.
During one of our conversations, one of my co-workers made the comment that when she looked around as the night was getting started, all she could see were "babies" and no longer was she surrounded by here peers. And it's so true! I took a good look around, and everyone looked so young, but the thing is, they were not too young, they were just new wave of "bar goers", WE were "the old ones". I had a brief "crap, I'm old :frown: " moment.
So that got me thinking. We've all had our "I'm getting old" moments.
Another old moment was when I was treating one of my patients who was still in high school, but he came for his treatment during the school day. So I made a little joke. "Sooo, you're playing hookie today eh?" And he just stared at me, totally confused. He said, "I don't know what you mean". I had to explain to him what "playing hookie" meant! He gave a little chuckle and said that was weird. In that moment, I felt like an old hag. When seemingly common expressions become obsolete, and people don't know what you're talking about...it makes me feel old.

Tell me about your "gettin' old" moments.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went on holiday with my mother in law and kept getting asked if we were sisters. I stopped dying my hair and embraced my grey maybe I should go back to the salon.:lol:Mother in law took great pride telling everyone I wasn't, All I can say is it's a good job I like her. :dunno:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm only 20 but hearing my younger cousin say "Alexa, Play" to a traditional radio thinking that it was an Alexa smart system makes me realise that even I'm pretty old in comparison to a lot of kids nowadays in terms of the technology available. Google wasn't even 5 years old when I was born!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was having a conversation with my mom (who's 89) and said "I think there's trouble in River City." Then it occurred to me--I wonder how many people even know any more what that phrase refers to. :lol:
I'm 49 and have no idea what that means. :confused2:

I do know that strange things are afoot at the Circle K though. :jive:

This is a fun movie. I recommend it if you haven't seen it. I feel sorry for anyone who missed the 80's.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So last night was my staff Halloween party and it took place at a restaurant/bar. We started by having dinner then a band and DJ played thru the rest of the night. I didn't stay late (it's not my "thing") but It was fun.
During one of our conversations, one of my co-workers made the comment that when she looked around as the night was getting started, all she could see were "babies" and no longer was she surrounded by here peers. And it's so true! I took a good look around, and everyone looked so young, but the thing is, they were not too young, they were just new wave of "bar goers", WE were "the old ones". I had a brief "crap, I'm old :frown: " moment.
So that got me thinking. We've all had our "I'm getting old" moments.
Another old moment was when I was treating one of my patients who was still in high school, but he came for his treatment during the school day. So I made a little joke. "Sooo, you're playing hookie today eh?" And he just stared at me, totally confused. He said, "I don't know what you mean". I had to explain to him what "playing hookie" meant! He gave a little chuckle and said that was weird. In that moment, I felt like an old hag. When seemingly common expressions become obsolete, and people don't know what you're talking about...it makes me feel old.

People tell me to insta-gram this, twitter that, and I still don't know what the hell they're talking about (and don't want to know, either.)
I knew I was getting old when someone referred to the year 2000 as "nostalgic".
Kids are fascinated when I write cursive.
I still talk about shows like All in the Family like they're brand new, because they left such an impact back then.
It bothered me for awhile knowing I was one of the "old farts" but now it's not so bad. I wouldn't want to be a kid today anyhow. I'm glad I grew up when I did.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and one more thing.

Things your parents used to say that sounded so old and dorky, you find yourself saying. That, to me, is definitely a sign that you're getting older, but with age comes great maturity (or, if you're like me, you just pretend ;))

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We went to a restaurant for our birthdays this year thats a few hours from home; so not somewhere I would go often. Soooo many of the waitresses did NOT look old enough to serve alcohol. A few had litteral baby faces.

I was having a conversation with my mom (who's 89) and said "I think there's trouble in River City." Then it occurred to me--I wonder how many people even know any more what that phrase refers to. :lol:
:lol: I love that musical. :lol: I don't love every musical; but that one has been a favorite since we watched it at school in 6th grade. I know I'm cool. :coolcat:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kids not knowing what a busy signal is on a phone call.

I worked at a Halloween event at the community center for my own job and a bunch of kids were dressed in a lot of the same outfits and I had no idea what they were supposed to be. I think it was from a show (or it might be a series of movies, I don't know) called The Descendents. I don't have cable and I don't have kids (and my nieces are only 3 and 1) so I haven't been exposed to kid TV as much.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I first started to realize that I was getting old in my 50s when I started receiving postal mailings for membership in AARP.

Then in my 70s I realized that I was indeed old when I started receiving postal mailings for the Neptune Society.

For the younger members, that is a non-profit (I think) cremation service. Pay now, and when the time comes, your survivors call them, they pick up your body, then return your ashes the next business day. Urns are extra.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Ha. Here’s one for you: We sold our house and moved to a retirement community three weeks ago. I’m in the middle of the Baby Boomer age range, and since we were going to be young and cool forever, I’m struggling a bit with it. I’m probably one of the youngest people in this 900-plus person community, but it still bothers me. :sigh:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having my old moment when my kids and nephews and niece talk abut something I do not understand, yet pretend to know I do.
Or when some new songs are played on the radio, and everyone in the car sings along but me.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've gone to the same grocery store for years and would chit-chat with the cashiers. Every time I bought baby food for the cats, one of them would say "Oh, you have a baby!" I will never forget the day that it changed to "Oh, you have a grandchild!"

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
For years people have thought my husband was my son. They look embarrassed when I tell them we've been married for 54 years.

It still surprises me when we automatically get the seniors' discounts.

I knowI'm old when I wake up and have to make sure everything is still there and working before I get up. Then everything reminds me its still there by aching, creaking, and popping.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
It still surprises me when we automatically get the seniors' discounts.
Yes, that's another one. All of a sudden people at shops started offering me the senior discounts! :bawling: :lol: The good news about that is, I didn't know that our vet offers a 10% senior discount, which I'm certainly taking advantage of now. :yess: