Age A Male Kitten Can Get A Female Pregnant?

SabrinaT15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, everyone!

First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I looked around and couldn't find any specific forum this should go in, and this one seemed best over any.

I have a female cat who is not spayed. The plan was to let her have a batch of kittens once before we go get her spayed. The problem with that was the lack of a male who could still get my queen pregnant. She has always gone into heat every three weeks, three in a half at the most. But she has recently missed her heat by about a month and a half. Her last two heats were when another family member who lives in the same house got a new kitten, who just happens to be a male. This male kitten is currently a little over three months old right now. Is it possible for him to impregnate a female at his age? My girl never leaves the house, so there is now other way of her getting pregnant. I notice that she is just slightly bigger than she was a few months ago, but no one else in the house notices a size difference, she also does eat more than she did before, hence why I might think her extra weight would just be from her eating habits. If the kitten is not able to impregnate her, is my queen not going back into heat something to worry about?

Thank you!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think it takes on average 4-5 months for a male cat to sexually mature, so likely her weight gain is from eating more. You can always check with a vet, though, just to be sure.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The typical age a male cat reaches sexually maturity is usually around 6 months, and even as late 18 months. The chances of him being fertile enough to impregnate her even at 4-5 months is unlikely (in the case that he is an early maturing breed -- oriental). So I highly doubt he mated with her. You're 100% sure she couldn't have gotten outside at all? Ive heard of some cats that usually have normal heat cycles having a silent heat.. Maybe she's just not showing the usual heat signs? That's relatively rare though (I think).

You said it's been a month & a half since you've seen her in heat? If she was in fact pregnant you'd be seeing an obvious round belly & even kitten movements by now. So it doesn't sound like she got pregnant during the last heat cycle you observed almost 2 months ago.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
And, if she doesn't turn out to be pregnant, please reconsider allowing her to have kittens and get her spayed instead. She doesn't need that to be fulfilled, she will remain more of a kitten and you won't be contributing to cat overpopulation. How about bringing her to the vet to get checked and spayed if she isn't already pregnant.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought only 3 months. That's when I decided to take Maggie in before anything else happened

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SabrinaT15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it takes on average 4-5 months for a male cat to sexually mature, so likely her weight gain is from eating more. You can always check with a vet, though, just to be sure.
I'll probably get a vet to check her. Thanks!

The typical age a male cat reaches sexually maturity is usually around 6 months, and even as late 18 months. The chances of him being fertile enough to impregnate her even at 4-5 months is unlikely (in the case that he is an early maturing breed -- oriental). So I highly doubt he mated with her. You're 100% sure she couldn't have gotten outside at all? Ive heard of some cats that usually have normal heat cycles having a silent heat.. Maybe she's just not showing the usual heat signs? That's relatively rare though (I think).

You said it's been a month & a half since you've seen her in heat? If she was in fact pregnant you'd be seeing an obvious round belly & even kitten movements by now. So it doesn't sound like she got pregnant during the last heat cycle you observed almost 2 months ago.
As far as I know, the male isn't an oriental breed. He already tried to mate with her soon after we got him during the last heat I remember her having, he was too small at the time to do anything though. We did think he was a she since the breeder told us he was female. That's how we found out the ball of fluff was a male. And I am 100% positive she hasn't gotten out. I have tried letting her out, she is much to scared to go near the first door when it is open (there is another door to get out of the apartment building), let alone going through the second door. And she might be going through silent heat, but based on her cycles, she'd have to have gone through a silent heat several times in a row. Do you know what would cause her to go silent like that after more than a year of not so silent heats?

Tao’s mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll probably get a vet to check her. Thanks!

As far as I know, the male isn't an oriental breed. He already tried to mate with her soon after we got him during the last heat I remember her having, he was too small at the time to do anything though. We did think he was a she since the breeder told us he was female. That's how we found out the ball of fluff was a male. And I am 100% positive she hasn't gotten out. I have tried letting her out, she is much to scared to go near the first door when it is open (there is another door to get out of the apartment building), let alone going through the second door. And she might be going through silent heat, but based on her cycles, she'd have to have gone through a silent heat several times in a row. Do you know what would cause her to go silent like that after more than a year of not so silent heats?

Tao’s mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry about the empty message, figuring out the controls.
It was searching this topic that I found this site.
My kitten is almost 5 months old and is being neutered next week. My female is 11 years old. She is in heat now and I wanted to know if he was to young to mate.
In a reply to this topic someone mentioned that they didn’t think he was old enough unless he was oriental.
I have a Siamese kitten does that make a difference?
Thanks and hope I can learn much more from this forum

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possible for a kitten to sire a litter at 5 months, even if he isn't an Oriental breed. It doesn't happen often, but it happens sometimes. Just to be safe, I would recommend keeping the two of them separate at this time.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The youngest I've heard of was 4 months, and he was Siamese. Most males don't get a clue until at least 8 months, and even then they may not figure it out. Not that you want to take any chances! I would try to keep them separated until a week or 2 after his neuter.

I would talk to a vet about spaying the 11-year-old female, if she's healthy. At her age it's a real strain to go into heat, a pregnancy could be dangerous, and she's at high risk of reproductive disease. Better to do a routine spay now than wait until she needs an emergency spay, and is in a weakened condition.

Tao’s mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The youngest I've heard of was 4 months, and he was Siamese. Most males don't get a clue until at least 8 months, and even then they may not figure it out. Not that you want to take any chances! I would try to keep them separated until a week or 2 after his neuter.

I would talk to a vet about spaying the 11-year-old female, if she's healthy. At her age it's a real strain to go into heat, a pregnancy could be dangerous, and she's at high risk of reproductive disease. Better to do a routine spay now than wait until she needs an emergency spay, and is in a weakened condition.
Thanks for your input Willowy. My female is not well enough to be put to sleep. She has a host of problems.

Kajoda929

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I don't know if the young ones we have right now are fully capable of impregnantion, but they are 3 months and 10 days old and I just had to separate the boys from their mother last night. She went into heat for the second time since having them and her hormones brought it out of at least two of the three boys. I'd noticed one acting different for a week, but my friend said I was imagining it. I was not imagining what I saw when I had to pull him off of her.

She, herself, had gotten pregnant at 4.5-5 months old as well. She and her brother were previously considered "feral". Not sure if it matters or not, but since it was mentioned, the "feral" cats on the street are heavily of Abyssinian descent.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I just had to separate the boys from their mother last night. She went into heat for the second time since having them and her hormones brought it out of at least two of the three boys.
It would be a good idea to get all of your cats spayed and neutered as soon as you can. It makes it easy for everyone to get along if they're all fixed. Do you need help finding a cheap spay and neuter clinic in your area? The female will find a way to sneak out and get pregnant even if you keep the boys away from her.

the "feral" cats on the street are heavily of Abyssinian descent.
I don't think that's true, not unless you're living in Ethiopia.

:)