After Suture Removal Healing

Briannajadex3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat was diagnosed with pyometra & I took her in to my local vet for her surgery. This was on the 23rd of may. Today her sutures were taken out (june 1st) & i was nervous because after she was home she licked the area for a couple of second, and she began to bleed. It wasn’t a lot or dripping or anything but i’m not sure if the incision is healing normally. I sent pics after to the vet frantically and he called and assured it was normal and her gap would close up in time. I just wanted second opinions if possible. I’ve been so stressed, cried myself out and lost sleep since her surgery and I just want her to be okay. Can anyone off help or let me know of similar experiences? I put her onesie back on immediately after, and she is no longer bleeding.

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It doesn't look all that bad to me. I can see where it bled a bit. Can you get an
e collar on her so that she doesn't lick the area? I had a cat that had surgery last spring. He had to wear an e collar for 2 weeks. Even once the stitches were out, the area was still raw in some areas. I would not allow her to lick the area, yet a cats natural instinct is to lick it. E collars are no fun and cats absolutely hate them, but they are often necessary.

I too would send pictures to my vet and I understand the worry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Briannajadex3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the reply. I sent pics to my vet and he said it was normal and the gap should close up eventually. I just really wanted some second opinions so I took to the forum to see if anyone else had a cat that’s healing process was similar to mine. Her e collar was too short, and so i purchased another one that seemed to be too heavy for her head possibly. I just opted to make her a onesie so she would not be able to access the area

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great idea to use a onsie just be sure it doesn't stick to the incision. I used the plastic e collar as well as a soft donut shaped one that was a blow up. It was much for comfortable for my cat, but he also could find a way to get it off. I allowed him to wear it when I could supervise, but overnight it was back to the plastic one.
I hope the incision continues to heal well.