After Fip And Fvp

Loveandloss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I lost my 4 month old Siamese kitten 2 days ago and I'm in pieces. He was diagnosed with both FIP and FVP just 10 days ago and my little boy courageously battled on, eating until his last day. I had him only 8 wonderful weeks and his noble, gentle and loving spirit changed my life. Now I come home to an empty apartment keenly aware of how much unconditional love he gave me.
He gave me the honour of passing in my arms. He held my finger with his paw like a baby.

Now he is gone. It's forever and I'm bereft. I've been looking at websites about disinfecting and I'm struggling to find information on how to eradicate these awful viruses from my home. In particular FVP which I understand can linger for years.

I can never replace his beautiful spirit and the gifts of love and trust he gave so willingly to me. Some day in the future if my heart ever heals I might think about loving another kitten but I'm terrified of these viruses lingering.

Any advice would really be appreciated.

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I lost my 4 month old Siamese kitten 2 days ago and I'm in pieces. He was diagnosed with both FIP and FVP just 10 days ago and my little boy courageously battled on, eating until his last day. I had him only 8 wonderful weeks and his noble, gentle and loving spirit changed my life. Now I come home to an empty apartment keenly aware of how much unconditional love he gave me.
He gave me the honour of passing in my arms. He held my finger with his paw like a baby.

Now he is gone. It's forever and I'm bereft. I've been looking at websites about disinfecting and I'm struggling to find information on how to eradicate these awful viruses from my home. In particular FVP which I understand can linger for years.

I can never replace his beautiful spirit and the gifts of love and trust he gave so willingly to me. Some day in the future if my heart ever heals I might think about loving another kitten but I'm terrified of these viruses lingering.

Any advice would really be appreciated.
My heart breaks for you, I've heard of both virus but I don't know how u disinfect your home. I'm sure someone here will help you with doing it. I just wanted to tell you how sorry i am for your loss. My thoughts r with you

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know it is recommended that you wait between one month to three months before bringing another cat into an environment that has been exposed to FIP. Clean everything thoroughly with regular cleaning supplies and I might recommend getting rid of soft bedding or toys justto be safe.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By FVP do you mean panleukopenia? If so, it is a parvovirus and can survive for a long time in the environment. For people who have had parvo puppies, it's recommended not to bring any unvaccinated puppies in for at least a year. I assume the recommendation is the same for cats. Clean everything well, wash all washable items in hot water and bleach, and only bring in cats over 6 months old who are fully vaccinated.

There is a vaccine for coronavirus (what FIP mutates from) too, but most cats have been exposed and the vaccine may not prevent every strain so its efficacy is under debate.

pparillo142

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, this just happened to me with my 5 month old Yoshi. Which I miss so much.

Here's some advice and help the local shelter gave me:

FIP can be passed through saliva and feces.

It's best to disinfect with bleach - this website page should tell you how much and other facts about FIP. STOP FIP The bleach should be left for at least 10 minutes to fully kill the virus.

I've attached a photo of the disinfectant that the shelter provided me with. Rescue is ready to use and should be left out on the areas for at least 1 minute to fully kill the virus.

You should clean EVERY area the kitten has been to. Including anything from tables, chairs, clothing, sheets, the carpet/wooden floors.

A very important thing to think of is that the virus does not die until you kill it with by cleaning it, they say that it's good to wait at least 6 months but even through all of that time the virus does not die off, it just goes dormant.

Definitely throw out anything that was for the cat, like toys, Cat bed, litter box (which you can bleach but I would do it just to be safe). I kept my little Yoshi's first toy and collar, I'm just going to keep it in a box where my future cats will hopefully not get into.

Once cleaned, it is best to wait a couple of months. Also all of this applies to FVP too.

No one can ever replace your little one because it won't be them, but it's best to share the same love with the new amazing lives that choose you, they all have their own quirks and uniqueness, stay strong because that's what your kitty would want. They want us to happy just as they were, the love is eternal and we'll see them again one day.

pparillo142

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, this just happened to me with my 5 month old Yoshi. Which I miss so much.

Here's some advice and help the local shelter gave me:

FIP can be passed through saliva and feces.

It's best to disinfect with bleach - this website page should tell you how much and other facts about FIP. STOP FIP The bleach should be left for at least 10 minutes to fully kill the virus.

I've attached a photo of the disinfectant that the shelter provided me with. Rescue is ready to use and should be left out on the areas for at least 1 minute to fully kill the virus.

You should clean EVERY area the kitten has been to. Including anything from tables, chairs, clothing, sheets, the carpet/wooden floors.

A very important thing to think of is that the virus does not die until you kill it with by cleaning it, they say that it's good to wait at least 6 months but even through all of that time the virus does not die off, it just goes dormant.

Definitely throw out anything that was for the cat, like toys, Cat bed, litter box (which you can bleach but I would do it just to be safe). I kept my little Yoshi's first toy and collar, I'm just going to keep it in a box where my future cats will hopefully not get into.

Once cleaned, it is best to wait a couple of months. Also all of this applies to FVP too.

No one can ever replace your little one because it won't be them, but it's best to share the same love with the new amazing lives that choose you, they all have their own quirks and uniqueness, stay strong because that's what your kitty would want. They want us to happy just as they were, the love is eternal and we'll see them again one day.
I noticed I said it's best to disinfect with bleach, but the Rescue disinfectant would work better and it's easier to use.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Solid advice so far, but just wanted to add one thing - bleach and Rescue are both good disinfecting products, but don't mix them together in the same container. They have a weird chemical reaction to each other that will irritate your nose and throat and make it hard to breathe. If you're going to use them both, use them separately, and rinse out your container very thoroughly before mixing a solution using the other one. Also just FYI, Rescue stains clothing and cloth items just like bleach does.

As I said on the other thread, I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

pparillo142

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Solid advice so far, but just wanted to add one thing - bleach and Rescue are both good disinfecting products, but don't mix them together in the same container. They have a weird chemical reaction to each other that will irritate your nose and throat and make it hard to breathe. If you're going to use them both, use them separately, and rinse out your container very thoroughly before mixing a solution using the other one. Also just FYI, Rescue stains clothing and cloth items just like bleach does.

As I said on the other thread, I'm very sorry for your loss. :(
Thank you! He will live on forever in my heart. It's just so quiet now without listening to his collar that jingles and running around from place to place chasing his toys.