After Famciclovir Treatment

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi.I was just wanting to know after Snowball finishes his Famciclovir for the herpes virus;and say it comes back a week or so later ;anyone have any options to what to do next if it happens??I will of course call vet if happens.But just wanted to b on top of things.Cause ive read it alot of times comes back n hes 10 yrs old almost 11 in July.Hes still taking it wont b finished til around April 11th or 12th.Im just trying to b prepared.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have great results with L-lysine as a preventative as well as for outbreaks. During flare-up, my vet has me give 500mg a day for a few days then back down to 250mg. I use slippery elm and marshmallow root decoction to soothe and heal those terrible mouth sores (beneficial both as a drink and an external wash) (I do the same for myself because I am prone to get shingles outbreaks and the L-lysine and herbs are just as good as Zovirax and Valtrex). I would consult your vet about L-lysine and probiotics for maintenance care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I have great results with L-lysine as a preventative as well as for outbreaks. During flare-up, my vet has me give 500mg a day for a few days then back down to 250mg. I use slippery elm and marshmallow root decoction to soothe and heal those terrible mouth sores (beneficial both as a drink and an external wash) (I do the same for myself because I am prone to get shingles outbreaks and the L-lysine and herbs are just as good as Zovirax and Valtrex). I would consult your vet about L-lysine and probiotics for maintenance care.
Yea the vet said do 500 mg L_Lysine twice daily every day now n in the future to help maybe prevent flareups.What are some probiotics could use??How often does ure cat have flareups??

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk to your vet about using probiotics with l.acidophilus strain. I’ve been using the below and my cats have no flare ups at all since taking it
Pet Ultimates Probiotics for Cats...
Thanks for the tip.I will ask the vet

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add that I have my cats vaccinated for FHV even though they already have the virus - my vet believes that it helps prevent the shedding of the virus & lessens flare ups. It has been years since my 7yo semi-feral Lance has had a flare-up; catching and keeping him inside for the winter has made a huge difference.
I would follow your vet's advice on the probiotics. My vet is a country vet in a rural area (our nearest WalMart is 152 miles away) so she has me use the human probiotics that I use for myself, but as a half-capsule daily for a cat. And I use the L-lysine for a month but many people here use it for years (at a continuing education class, my vet heard of studies that say L-lysine doesn't work).
Here is an article from Cornell University that you might find interesting:
Respiratory Infections

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stress is a big trigger for herpes flare ups, so keeping stress in your home to a minimum helps. Get a calming agent, such as Feliway and run it in your home. Also, keep your schedule as regular as possible, as irregular schedules can cause stress. Personally, I advocate a grain-free diet and the use of L-Lysine. I also give my herpes girl a daily probiotic, a daily antihistamine (she has severe airborne allergies that aggravate her herpes), a daily dietary supplement, and doses of Colloidal Silver. She is 13 years old and diagnosed 11 years ago.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Stress is a big trigger for herpes flare ups, so keeping stress in your home to a minimum helps. Get a calming agent, such as Feliway and run it in your home. Also, keep your schedule as regular as possible, as irregular schedules can cause stress. Personally, I advocate a grain-free diet and the use of L-Lysine. I also give my herpes girl a daily probiotic, a daily antihistamine (she has severe airborne allergies that aggravate her herpes), a daily dietary supplement, and doses of Colloidal Silver. She is 13 years old and diagnosed 11 years ago.
What kind of antihistamine ;probiotic and dietary supplement do u give

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Antihistamine--generic Claritin (loratadine), 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily.
Probiotic--Proviable DC
Dietary Supplement--Missing Link (the ultimate feline formula)

Faikey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Llysine has no affects on feline herpes. I posted a study about it. But yeah its basic junk science

Faikey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.I was just wanting to know after Snowball finishes his Famciclovir for the herpes virus;and say it comes back a week or so later ;anyone have any options to what to do next if it happens??I will of course call vet if happens.But just wanted to b on top of things.Cause ive read it alot of times comes back n hes 10 yrs old almost 11 in July.Hes still taking it wont b finished til around April 11th or 12th.Im just trying to b prepared.
Well people with human herpes take it every day.. I was thought cats did too..

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Llysine has no affects on feline herpes. I posted a study about it. But yeah its basic junk science
Snowball has finished his Famciclovir .And he seems a bit sluggish.Any ideas??Is this normal for a cat after they been on Famciclovir 14 days n just finished it.??

Faikey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Snowball has finished his Famciclovir .And he seems a bit sluggish.Any ideas??Is this normal for a cat after they been on Famciclovir 14 days n just finished it.??
As in with humans it does cause drowsyness. I know it made me tired. But yes because this is a potent medication urge you to ask your vet if you notice any changes in your cats behavior. If a cat had chronic kidney disease for example fatigue could be a sign of something serious so please have his blood checked as a precaution

Let me reiterate that drowsyness is literally a big side affect it's meant to hold that virus at bay for a long time which is similar to your body fighting a flu except without the flu. Still the same energy output. So it's common to have some fatigue. But if the cat isnt eating you need to take him in. Also its customary for blood to be checked anyway after its administration to ensure that cat is in good health

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
As in with humans it does cause drowsyness. I know it made me tired. But yes because this is a potent medication urge you to ask your vet if you notice any changes in your cats behavior. If a cat had chronic kidney disease for example fatigue could be a sign of something serious so please have his blood checked as a precaution

Let me reiterate that drowsyness is literally a big side affect it's meant to hold that virus at bay for a long time which is similar to your body fighting a flu except without the flu. Still the same energy output. So it's common to have some fatigue. But if the cat isnt eating you need to take him in. Also its customary for blood to be checked anyway after its administration to ensure that cat is in good health
He is eating better now.And not as sluggish.I talked to vet n he said sluggish was common symptom during treatment.and maybe couple days after treatment with Famciclovir.He didnt mention anything about any blood work.But Snowball hadnt been long had blood work done senior profile bloodwork.Not due yet.The vet did ask about how his litter box habits were.Had anything changed??Nope still using as normal as before Famciclovir I told him

Faikey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Malaise diarrhea stomachs aches are all common symptoms with both us and cats [isnt it great it works for both of us!]