After 8 Months Of Diarrhea, Home Made Raw !!!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Krista is enjoying Tiki Cat Raw Turkey with Bone Broth. I just recently started offering it to her. With her IBD, I have been avoiding raw with bone. But with her recent clostridium squirts, she can use the slowing down effect, the extra time to digest the bone. The squirts seem to be resolving and she seems to be improving on a number of other fronts too. I just wish I could get her to eat a little more of it. She only seems to get through a half ounce and then she sleeps for hours! I don’t think this will be a full time food for her. But it’s good that she has a raw alternative to Rawz for a couple of meals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll check that out :)

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Little update:

Unfortunately in the last week Adam is having some diarrhea again, after almost 2 months of healthy stool since starting the homemade raw diet (+ Alnutrin)

If thinking this:

- the turkey I buy for him at the supermarket doesn't always look great honestly, it's a small local supermarket and the quality in not that great. PLUS, it's PREVIOULSY FROZEN....then I cook it, re freeze it again (cause I cook big quantities) and then defrost it again to feed him. I think it's too many freezing and defrosting.

Plus, doing all this TAKES SO MUCH TIME !

If I had to pick one raw diet provider that is comprehensive in terms of nutrients, it helps with diarrhea (I think all raw with bones content helps with that) and is somehow CONVENIENT (not too expensive), what would that be ? First result on google is Darwin

Thanks !
If your cat is eating the same food and developed loose stools, AND you are sure he isn't getting into anything else that he shouldn't be drinking or eating, then he could have a digestive problem caused by a bacteria or parasite. Is it possible your cat has IBD? Mine does and feeding a mix of high quality canned and homemade for the past 6 months has been a blessing. He hasn't had any more flare ups so far. He also has sensitivity to chicken and some grains for sure. I'm feeding only turkey these days which he has been doing well with.

My point is that feeding a high quality diet can greatly help IBD but is not necessarily a cure. So there could be flare-ups even on the quailty diet. Or, he could have just picked up a bug from something else. It happens.
Just something that you may want to have the vet check out. He can check a stool sample for bad bacteria or parasites and go from there.

I don't think it's the turkey that you are feeding. If it were truly bad the cat would probably be throwing it up very shortly after eating it. It's still possible it could be but, personally, I would have a vet check the cat out just to rule out any problems.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recall having the same reaction when I switched to raw after many attempts to rid my cats of diarrhea, the diarrhea did come back. I then treated them for a parasite and the diarrhea went away for good.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should've said retreated them for coccidia with a different med.

Taphie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got my cat from a shelter a couple months ago. The shelter told me she had a very sensitive digestive system, most probably IBS. The shelter had her on Purina Gentle & Weruva wet cat food, but after I took her home the high quality cat food makes her poop smell something aweful & she does not cover her poop. So, I gave her a little raw chicken to see how she could handle it. Her poop has always been soft, but the raw chicken gave her a bad case of diarrhea & she obviously did not feel good. So, I cooked it in a pot, put it in a blender & fed her some. Her poop, while still soft, is better & it doesn't smell bad. While cooked food does lose nutrients, some cats with digestive issues can digest it better than raw. You can always add nutrients after it's cooked to make up for the nutrients lost to cooking.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got my cat from a shelter a couple months ago. The shelter told me she had a very sensitive digestive system, most probably IBS. The shelter had her on Purina Gentle & Weruva wet cat food, but after I took her home the high quality cat food makes her poop smell something aweful & she does not cover her poop. So, I gave her a little raw chicken to see how she could handle it. Her poop has always been soft, but the raw chicken gave her a bad case of diarrhea & she obviously did not feel good. So, I cooked it in a pot, put it in a blender & fed her some. Her poop, while still soft, is better & it doesn't smell bad. While cooked food does lose nutrients, some cats with digestive issues can digest it better than raw. You can always add nutrients after it's cooked to make up for the nutrients lost to cooking.
There are many cat parents who feed cooked homemade food. The issue with either feeding homemade raw or cooked is that the meat needs to be supplemented as it's not a nutritiously complete meal otherwise. There are pre-packaged mixes that can be added to make the meat nutritionally complete. Most include liver, at least one requires that you add your own liver. Plus there are recipes on the internet that tell you which individual supplements to use if you dont wish to use a pre-mix.

Taphie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are many cat parents who feed cooked homemade food. The issue with either feeding homemade raw or cooked is that the meat needs to be supplemented as it's not a nutritiously complete meal otherwise. There are pre-packaged mixes that can be added to make the meat nutritionally complete. Most include liver, at least one requires that you add your own liver. Plus there are recipes on the internet that tell you which individual supplements to use if you dont wish to use a pre-mix.
Thank you, Darg,

I've been researching. I do understand why vets do not recommend homemade cat food, because there are so many recipes I've found on the internet that include ingredients that are not good for cats. I've even seen vegan recipes that include tofu and legumes for protein and potatoes. Crazy, I know! It seems like most people don't bother to research feline nutrition and then feed their cats a diet that is very nutritionally poor.

Right now, in addition to the cooked, pureed chicken, I give her the Purina Gentle because it contains nutrients and she keeps it down. I did try a couple grain free dry foods which she promptly threw up undigested. I don't like the Purina Gentle as it contains corn derivatives as the 2nd and 3rd ingredients and wheat gluten as it's 4th ingredient. Right now, it's just temporary. Ideally, I would like to have her eat a homemade recipe, but I'm still researching them.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Check out EZ Complete, Alnutrin, TC Feline and Young Again Carnivore Raw. Those are 4 off the top of my head that make pre-mix supplements. Some have calcium and no calcium versions. The no-calcium versions are used if you grind bone in with the meat. I believe Alnutrin is the only one that doesn't contain liver so you have to add your own. These pre-mixes make for the easiest way to make homemade food. Basically, all you do is use chicken, turkey or whatever meat you choose (and Liver if using a pre-mix like alnutrin that doesnt include it). Add the recommended amount of pre-mix and water and you have a nutritionally complete homemade cat food.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EZ Complete is the easiest for those who would like to feed raw or cooked meat and can't be bothered with sourcing liver or buying any of the other supplements. EZ Complete contains liver. It can be added to raw or cooked meat. And it can be scaled down to a 1.5 oz portion (possibly smaller if you can weigh a scoop and do some math) rather than requiring a 1 lb batch (or more) like other mixes.

Having said that, it contains chicken liver and digestive enzymes. Neither of these agree with my Krista. :( But if it did work for her, you bet I would be sprinkling that on both raw and slow cooker meat for her.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EZ Complete is the easiest for those who would like to feed raw or cooked meat and can't be bothered with sourcing liver or buying any of the other supplements. EZ Complete contains liver. It can be added to raw or cooked meat. And it can be scaled down to a 1.5 oz portion (possibly smaller if you can weigh a scoop and do some math) rather than requiring a 1 lb batch (or more) like other mixes.

Having said that, it contains chicken liver and digestive enzymes. Neither of these agree with my Krista. :( But if it did work for her, you bet I would be sprinkling that on both raw and slow cooker meat for her.
Yes, it's an excellent supplement! I feed our cats one meal a day of EZ food and our vet is very happy with the ingredients -- she's even recommended it for at least one other patient after seeing how well our cats have been doing on it. 😊