Afraid of People

NinaSouth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I found a kitten under a car a couple months ago. She was a little bruised and very sick. After a lot of vet visits, she is healthy and enjoying life.
She is extremely comfortable with me but she is afraid of people. When friends visit she is curious enough to sit in my bedroom door and observe but won’t move beyond the door.
Any advice on how to get her more comfortable with visitors? Thanks!

Attachments

Kailea01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is very cute! It’s hard for them to come out of their shell, especially if she’s been through trama. But my suggestion is to get a comfortable cat carrier and maybe put a blanket under her and another on top (it’s supposed to calm them down more), leaving the front exposed. Have the people that come over feed her treats and/or play with a little toy through the gate for a little bit and just have them spend more time around her. It’s pretty tricky but the more time they spend around people, they get more comfortable. Hope this helps!

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
NinaSouth NinaSouth
Hi,
She is so cute 🌸
I would tell visitors to pretend they don't see her. Ignore her & she will feel less nervous if she is 'invisible'.
Then once she is more used to people coming round - ask your friends to play with a long wand toy to try to draw her out.
Do you have a cat tree or other high up places in your living room she can go to to observe the guests once she is a little more out of her shell?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles

Welcome to The Cat Site and thank you for rescuing this little baby. Hopefully the articles might help. Her behavior is not at all odd given her unknown past and the fact that she was rescued from what was probably a bad situation that placed her under the car in the first place. This takes times, but her friendliness to you is a good sign that she may learn to trust others.

leo feliz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello i also rescued a small kitten and i have had him for three months. my advise would be : invent a call, and once you get him to come to you, give a treat . dont force hime, but let him meet the visitors and get comftorble with them:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NinaSouth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all the helpful suggestions! I’ll try them out and see what she responds and then go from there!