Affordable IBD food...

stellaluna2291

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help finding a affordable food for my IBD cat. Any and all recommendations would be most appreciate!

Peaceandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Affordable is very subjective. I have had good results with Purina Gentle Care. They are older now and have kidney issues so they are no longer on it, but I do recommend it. It is very affordable and can be found in the grocery store, most likely. Unfortunately, I don't think they make a wet food. But you can mix a sensitive stomach wet food formula.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For IBD, I think you want to feed wet food, with no wheat, corn, soy, etc. Worse case scenario, you could feed Fancy Feast Classics, pate only, and none of the ones with cheese in them. Or Sheba pate would probably be better if you are looking for lower cost foods. But as mentioned above, affordable is subjective. What is your cost range?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For IBD, I think you want to feed wet food, with no wheat, corn, soy, etc. Worse case scenario, you could feed Fancy Feast Classics, pate only, and none of the ones with cheese in them. Or Sheba pate would probably be better if you are looking for lower cost foods. But as mentioned above, affordable is subjective. What is your cost range?
This is a good start. It's much easier to choose if you already know what causes the symptoms, but if you don't, then the simplest possible recipes can help you sort out (or maybe even avoid) whatever triggers the cat.

Sheba pates are pretty decent food without a lot of extra ingredients. Our cats have several sensitivities (one has early signs of IBD, some intestinal thickening) and Sheba works well for them, though I wish it didn't have tapioca. Iams and Nutro also make "perfect portion" foods with very similar recipes. None of them are super cheap but they're moderately priced. We feed low-carb foods without any fish, carrageenan, agar-agar, green-lipped mussel, potato, grains, peas, chickpeas, lentils... some of those ingredients (most of which can't exactly be considered part of a cat's natural diet!) have caused vomiting in one or both of our cats.

In the end, there's usually a lot of trial and error with IBD cats since every cat is different.

Good luck!