Affordable Good Wet Food!!

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I currently have two fur babies Lucy and Beau! Lucy is 2 years old and Beau is 4 months.

When I found Lucy and took her in I was feeding her Friskies wet pate and dry taste of the wild. When I adopted Beau he only liked wet food so I switched her to all wet food because that’s also what she likes best and from my understanding it’s better for her.

I currently feed them both Friskies Pate Seafood Favorites since it’s the only Friskies pate variety pack that is safe for both adult cats and kittens.

However I have heard it is not good for cats to be on a fish only diet. I would also love to switch them to a grain free food and higher quality food but I need something that is still very affordable. Any suggestions?

Also is Friskies pate food that is labeled safe kittens enough nutrients for my baby boy?

Thank you in advance!!!

(Side note if anyone has any suggestions for good dental care for a cat that hates having her teeth brushed I would be very grateful!)

Attachments

Peaceandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think grain free is overrated. It usually just means grains have been substituted with pea starch, soy, etc. It does not necessarily mean higher protein or better quality (although it can).

I have used Friskies pate off and on for years with both my ferals and indoor cats. "Affordable" is a very subjective word. But first, I would be sure kittens are getting "kitten" food, whichever brand you decide to go with. Fancy Feast is good without costing an arm and a leg. I like Wellness (not sure if they make a kitten pate). Sheba is a decent grocery store brand, only a bit more in cost than Friskies.

Your kitties are precious!!!

DorasCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty loves Friskies(Shredded, Meaty bits and Fillet) and he is almost 13 years old; in good health. He also gets dry food(any brand is fine with him).

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fancy Feast and Purina are my pick for affordable and good. I usually try to keep to pates because there's more food for your money and easy to add extra water to.

I have a personal bias against Friskies. My vet told me after an event that it has too much salt for cats with underlying conditions.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats love Sheba pates. They aren't super expensive, though anything they'll eat up feels affordable. The ingredients aren't bad, though I wish they didn't have tapioca. Iams and Nulo "perfect portions" foods have very similar recipes but cost a bit more. Iams does have a kitten food. The only downside to most of those foods might be calories, which may be a little low for kittens... They need lots of good protein calories so the more calorie-dense the foods the better!

Also: Chewy's Tiny Tiger turkey and giblets pate is very decent food, our cats love that, too.

As for teeth, CET toothpaste is good stuff. Our cats have definite flavor preferences. There are videos online about getting started with toothbrushing, it's best to make it a gradual process so they accept it.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was advised to use a water additive called Oratene if my cat wouldn't let me brush.
She drinks and there is no taste to it.
There are posts on the forum from people using it.
it is the pump bottle version:

I've been using Oratene toothpaste on one of our cats of late and it seems to work well for her. She doesn't seem to mind the taste at all. It smells like nothing. The only thing is that she doesn't love it like she loved seafood CET! I switched her over last year when she was having stomach problems and wondered if the xanthan gum in the CET was bothering her. Given what turned out to be wrong, I don't think the xanthan gum was a problem but I just can't bring myself to feed it to her in anything!