Affordable Good Quality Dry Food To Help Cats Lose Weight

lavendeer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please suggest options that are not seafood flavored. I want to to try avoiding that since I'm looking for a healthy weight type of food to feed for awhile as I believe one of the kitties is just too fat to jump. Considering she is 10 years old I do not believe it is due to her age at all and if not her weight then it might be arthritis but I was told that she just might be too heavy first because she weighs 15lbs and carries most of the weight in her tum. Please help me out here.

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm switching both of my girls to Merrick. It's expensive but not as bad as others. The dry limited ingredient chicken has no fish. I'm changing over from canned Friskies. Kitten Autumn has changed over completely and seven year old Holly I'm SO looking forward to seeing off Friskies entirely. There's already a difference in her energy level for the better. Autumn is a big drinker so I'm not worried about dry food dehydrating her. Holly I'll have to give a can of Merrick periodically. While Merrick is owned now by Purina they've assured me everything is the same as before. They're independent of Purina as far as quality of the ingredients and their plant go. I measure their food. Holly needs to lose a pound so I'm excited about her energy level. Since you're steering away from fish read labels. Most food that has meat as main protein has fish in it. Limited ingredient foods have just one protein source. It'll cost a bit more to get a high end food but it's worth it. Merrick is actually one of the cheaper high ends I've found. You could even call them and see if you could get coupons. Chewy.com often has sales. It's a pet food online company. They sell all kinds of brands. Best wishes

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are not really any good dry food that will help your cat lose weight. Unfortunately dry foods, all of them, are high in carbs, which makes it too easy for cats to over eat and thus gain weight. The best and easiest way for you to help your cat to lose weight it to switch her to a wet food diet. 

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats will only eat what we give them. Measuring out and not free feeding will avoid overeating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lavendeer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thank you! We can't switch to a wet food diet because she already has problems with bad breath and we're worried wet food will make it worse. I rgink we'll start doing timed feeders so they only get a few times a day at certain times.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Okay thank you! We can't switch to a wet food diet because she already has problems with bad breath and we're worried wet food will make it worse. I rgink we'll start doing timed feeders so they only get a few times a day at certain times.
Wet food doesn't have anything to do with bad breath, and dry food doesn't clean teeth or help with oral health at all.  If she had bad breath she probably needs her teeth cleaned or some teeth pulled. 

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet food doesn't have anything to do with bad breath, and dry food doesn't clean teeth or help with oral health at all.  If she had bad breath she probably needs her teeth cleaned or some teeth pulled. 
I agree! One of our cats had horrible stinky breath even as a young cat. After a full dental dental cleaning at just under the age of two, the vet tested her for the Bartonella bacterium, which some vets think can cause dental problems. She tested positive, took a course of antibiotics, and has been getting her teeth brushed daily ever since... now her breath is fresh and she hasn't had to have another cleaning in the last two years. The cats are on a totally wet diet.

bangis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If dry food is what you want while caring for your cat's health I recommend the petcurean go! Fit +free grain free. But dry food and water is not sufficient for a cat's healthy diet and its daily water needs, so I recommend mixing it with wet food.

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree! One of our cats had horrible stinky breath even as a young cat. After a full dental dental cleaning at just under the age of two, the vet tested her for the Bartonella bacterium, which some vets think can cause dental problems. She tested positive, took a course of antibiotics, and has been getting her teeth brushed daily ever since... now her breath is fresh and she hasn't had to have another cleaning in the last two years. The cats are on a totally wet diet.

There are not really any good dry food that will help your cat lose weight. Unfortunately dry foods, all of them, are high in carbs, which makes it too easy for cats to over eat and thus gain weight. The best and easiest way for you to help your cat to lose weight it to switch her to a wet food diet. 

Holly was raised mainly on dry. I started her on canned only and her very mild gingivitis has turned into worse. Autumn developed it on a canned only diet too. I used to think that dry food didn't do teeth any good but canned leaves a film which does contribute to gingivitis and tarter. As far as carbs go I checked with Merrick and their dry is moderate in carbs. Autumn is a big drinker so there's no risk of dehydration. Holly I'll give a can to sometimes but I'll never go back to canned only. Autumn is a kitten but ended up with severe tarter and had to have her teeth cleaned. Holly will have to have hers done soon. Weight gain has more than one contributing factor. I carefully measure their food and don't free feed. They're also getting exercise and don't eat people food.

Merrick is moderate in carbs.