Advocate vs Revolution?

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

So I currently use Advocate (Advantage Multi) every month on my kitties and Profender every 3 months which is just some extra worming and for tapeworms too.

The only difference I know is that Revolution (Stronghold) kills adult fleas, flea eggs and flea larvae where as Advocate only controls adult fleas and larvae in the cat's surroundings. Is that much of a difference?

Aside from that, it seems they both cover fleas and the main worms minus tapeworm.

I would like to know from experienced owners with these products and the efficacy of each? Any side effects or things like the cat's being immune to the solution over time? I'm in Australia so no prescription needed and the prices between Advocate and Revolution fluxuate like crazy so I could purchase either one of these on sale (at different times, of course) at a relatively good price.

Should I stick to something tried and true like Advocate or give Revolution a go? I've never seen worm or fleas around but would love to know what most owners use for flea and worming topical wise :)
advocate-cat-large-purple.png Revolution-For-Cats-Blue.jpg

Last edited:

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a fan of Revolution due to the fact that the solution is alcohol based and thus the application site dries relatively quickly (~1 hr). I found Advantage Multi to leave greasy spots on my cats for several weeks. I don't know if it is available in Australian market, but there is also a new version of Revolution that contains selamectin. Selamectin has increased efficacy against fleas/mites and also adds protections for ticks.

However, if the Advantage Multi is working for you and your cats, I personally wouldn't change it!

Medical Disclaimer: My comments are not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinary advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding your cat’s medical condition. Never disregard your veterinarian’s treatment or delay obtaining help because of something I have posted.

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet and the rescue we got our kittens from both recommended Revolution. My vet said he thinks it works the best. I just gave both kittens their second dose. I haven’t seen a flea. I’m keeping my cats indoors but the vet said for the first few months I have them to use monthly. So far so good.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use Revolution also. When we had our first flea incident last year (after being cat owners for many years) this was what the vet recommended. That was around last December and here it is a year later and not a single problem since.
Yes it does dry fast too but if you happen to have a long hair cat you may need to brush him/her out afterwards as I've found the fur gets a bit stiff from the medication. A good brushing will take care of it in a minute or so.