Advice?

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i got a week old kitten today and for the first 3 feedings she ate great but for the last 3 didn't want to eat. I managed to get a little down, but she didn't want it. She is very active (for her age). She is vocal, loves being pet and purrs and kneeds like crazy! She seems perfectly healthy. I was thinking it's because she could of not eaten for a while and then ate a bunch when I got her so could she have just been really full?

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
How often are you feeding her? And what are you feeding her?
It's a good sign that she's still moving around. Watch for any lethargy.
Kitten's have fast metabolisms so depending on how long it's been since she last ate, I'm fairly sure her tummy is empty by now.
Keep trying to feed her, I got worried sick when my boy stopped eating but it turned out he's just kind of a brat :p

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm feeding her every 2 hours and have tried every 3. I feed her as much as I can until she full on throws a fit. I am getting concerned even though she is acting perfectly fine. How much do I need to make sure she eats? I forgot how to do the math. Weight times which number

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
8 mLs for every ounce :blush:
You're doing good, just keep trying.
How much does she eat in a sitting?

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
None. I try to feed her as much as she will eat until she completely refuses. I've tried other nipples, syringes.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is clear discharge coming from his anus. Very little

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, this is a weird one but
do you have plastic q-tips? I find them at family dollar, but they're hollow and plastic. I had a kitten once who wouldn't eat, and hadn't eaten in over a day, so situation was dire. I cut the tip of it off and shoved it in the tip of the syringe, and he took to it. I also found out that pushing a full syringe of formula through first helps and prevents any accidental shooting, as it pushes the cotton out.
I've also heard a lot of good things about the Miracle Nipple. You can find it on Amazon, so you probably won't get it today. But it might be a good investment.
Do you warm the formula up with water?
Is she warm and heated?

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes I have miracle nipples. That's what she ate on earlier. This isn't my first kitten, so I know quite a bit. She's warm, formulas warm. She ate a lot earlier, but is very skinny. Is there anyway she is just full? I mean I manage to get a few mls down but not very much. Should I force feed the required amount? She let me put it in her mouth for a while, but won't suckle and then eventually will refuse.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
I would only suggest that if you get instructions from a vet first. It would require a tube I imagine, because force feeding with a bottle or syringe is especially dangerous for kittens so young. They don't have a gag reflex. If by a few you mean even just 3, then she'll be okay for now. Just keep at it.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
You might also try honey or corn syrup to get her to start suckling and then move forward with the nipple.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well now it's been 4 but okay. I will try some honey.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has he pooped and peed properly? Constipation can give very peculiar results... You do burp as you shall?

Dewey hints sond feeding with a tube directly into the stomach. Its a good and safe method - BUT it needs someone instructs you and show exactly how to do it, and also give you the gears, because its very dangerous if done unskilled. That is why we usually dont even mention it.
The problem is, most vets dont know how to do it. And or dont want to show how to do it... We had a tragic example of a rescuer with such a protesting kitten, whom went to four different vets...

Here with your problem: dont force down if he protests much. Better a little at a time but often. You can also wrap him up in a towel, easier to held.

I would only suggest that if you get instructions from a vet first. It would require a tube I imagine, because force feeding with a bottle or syringe is especially dangerous for kittens so young. They don't have a gag reflex. If by a few you mean even just 3, then she'll be okay for now. Just keep at it.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have tried and I will keep trying. I was not even thinking of the tube that goes into the stomach. She has pooped and peed.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went to the vet today and they switched me to canned KMR because they said it was better than breeders edge. I've heard very bad things about Canned liquid KMR. What should I do? Use it? Or go get some powder?

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
My vote is same as Sarthur's
wouldn't hurt to feed her the canned stuff until you get the powdered. Maybe she takes to it.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She seems to like it a bit better. I'm going to wait and see because she wasn't working with a powder and I would rather her eat than not eat. Once she is older, I can try to wean her to the other stuff.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She has slight diarrhea along with not eating. I always manage to get some in, and now with this new formula... she starts to suck for like 2 seconds which is still improvement because she wasn't sucking at all. Anyways... she has lost 10 grams. What should I do? Make sure to get more food into her?

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is 184 grams. I will make sure to get 4.4 mls into her every feeding. I will keep trying, she's hanging in there!