Advice with my kitty .... newbie here; waiting for babies

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!! Newbie here

Just looking for some advice my lovely sphynx is heavily pregnant she was scanned about 9 days ago and the vet said she doesnt have long left etc..

Her nipples have been pink for a while, kittens moving around all over the place etc and she appears well in herself

2 days ago she started losing some mucus phoned the vet he said totally normally probably start of labour etc ..

So yesterday she has been more sleepy, and just wanting to rest not really interested in anything.

Yesterday evening she has just wanted to be with me, I went for my bath and she followed me and got into the bathroom cupboard on the towels and shes been there since with me in the bath,
I did notice though before she got into the cupboard she was straining, like could see it down her body and then she would clean herself, move around strain some more and clean herself etc this went on for a good 40 mins of straining slightly and cleaning.

She then stopped with the straining and went to bed with me and slept fine, she doesnt appear to be in pain, still eating and drinking etc.

Does this sound like possibly early stages?

Any questions or answers would be amazing thankyou!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it sounds normal. It sounds like pre-labor to me, which helps the body prepare for the real deal. She sounds very close! Did you breed her with another sphinx?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did yes :) so will be full sphynx kitties ❤ could this last for a while I'm guessing?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With prelabor, it could be the "fancy double name" as human women have too. The labor proper starts several days after.
They usually drop too shortly before the delivery,ie suddenly seems less pregnant. And you dont feel kitten move as much...

Losing mucus, they theoretically do it hours before the delivery, but in practice may be several days earlier...

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With prelabor, it could be the "fancy double name" as human women have too. The labor proper starts several days after.
They usually drop too shortly before the delivery,ie suddenly seems less pregnant. And you dont feel kitten move as much...

Losing mucus, they theoretically do it hours before the delivery, but in practice may be several days earlier...
Thankyou for the reply.
Shes still eating so I'm guessing she wont be going anytime soon!

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I thought my gorgeous Sphynx kitty was going into labour the other night but nope! She is still hanging on in here.
We are not sure on the exact dates of mating as I took her on from someone and then found out later she was pregnant -had her scanned etc and all is well.
Just a few questions if anyone can answer them for me would be amazing ...and I guess this post it just to show progress, and someone can follow with me so i dont go mental awaiting the arrival of babies!!

1. She had some creamy / white / yellow discharge 3 days ago, and then again today shes had more anyone know if this is a pre labour sign? (vet said the colour of it etc is fine and normal)

2. Checked her temperature for the first time today and is 37.6 is this any indication?

3. She does not appear to be looking for anywhere to nest or anything? She is just always interested in being with me, does this matter? Will she look for a nest at all or do some cats not bother??

Thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Discharge is normal, taking her temperature is not necessary, and cats usually go to a nest when it’s time to deliver. She is still very close. You can’t rush Mother Nature. Be patient! :)

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Discharge is normal, taking her temperature is not necessary, and cats usually go to a nest when it’s time to deliver. She is still very close. You can’t rush Mother Nature. Be patient! :)
Thankyou, I just panic with her that something going to go wrong!

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I noticed last night she has started producing milk!! And all she has done today is eat and sleep I think the time is near:)

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Really sorry for the photo, it's not the best!
The dates of mating are unknown I have tried speaking to the lady I got her from but she said she doesnt know either... however we had her to the vets on the 18th March and they could tell me she was having 5 kittens etc and they said she must be at least 40 days pregnant as they cant really count the kittens before then etc..
Which would mean she is over 60 days pregnant now...
shes got this discharge (no smell) I've tried speaking to vet but they do not appear to be worried about her and said it's normal before delivery... but I thought I would try put my mind at rest by also asking here ....

She also is still eating, drinking etc, just sleeping a lot now and she also does have milk

*sorry for the dirt around her bits she cannot reach to clean anymore, was just about to clean her up when I noticed the discharge *

Attachments

Silentstar03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes this is completely normal discharge. It can start appearing several days before labor starts. Given that her milk has come in, I would say you should expect her to give birth within the next day or 2.

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes this is completely normal discharge. It can start appearing several days before labor starts. Given that her milk has come in, I would say you should expect her to give birth within the next day or 2.
Thankyou!! I read milk comes in two days before but it's been quite a few days now I'm guessing that can be normal too? Xx

Silentstar03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou!! I read milk comes in two days before but it's been quite a few days now I'm guessing that can be normal too? Xx
Yes it really just depends on the cat. Some cats don't even get their milk in until they are in labor, especially if it's not their first litter.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All sounds well to me. This is all normal, and milk can come in over time. She will have them soon! :)

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou all so much, it's going to be long few days!

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And shes just had quite a bit of mucusy liquid coming out down her legs - watery with a slight pink tinge to it?