Advice with cat pooping around the side of litter

nyankoandco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm pretty new to the site and this is my first cat.

He is 10 month old, shorthair. 

We've had him a few weeks now and honestly he's settling in really well, he's been calm around me and my room mate, just a little shy/nervous around visitors. 

Since we've had him, he's been using his litter box, never had any issue with him not using it. 

The last two nights he's been pooping on the edge of the litter box and on the floor next to it. Almost as if he was going just before he hopped in. And afterwards he goes absolutely crazy, like jumping up the walls crazy.  

I don't know if its anything, but he's been eating more for the past 3-5days. And he did try some new food for a couple of days, but since has been switched back to his normal food. 

Is this something I should worry about or am I worrying too much?

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible something is causing him discomfort while he's pooping. Have you seen him go? Is he straining or crying at all? What's the consistency of his stool like? Fresh cat poop should not be dry or hard, but it should be firm enough that it keeps its shape well. The crazy behavior afterwards is similar to what my cat would do after she tried to go while she was constipated, and she would also leave the box before she was finished to try to "get away" from the feeling. I think the sensation really freaked her out.

I would take him to the vet to make sure he's healthy. Since he's eating well and pooping every day, there's not too much cause for concern yet but if something is going on your vet could catch it before it does start causing problems. The vet can do a simple exam to let you know if the stool inside his intestine feels normal.

It could very well be that the change in food changed the consistency of his stool and that's what's been alarming him. Switching foods without tapering off of the old food while slowly introducing the new one can cause diarrhea in cats for a bit, so while he didn't have full-on diarrhea it could have been softer than normal and made him uncomfortable. If this is the case, keep feeding him what he's been eating for a while and see if anything changes. He might be a little wary of the current litter box now, so if he keeps going outside of it but his stool goes back to normal, you may need to get another box that he has no negative associations with yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nyankoandco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well from what I've seen he doesn't seem to struggle, though he digs for a while before going pee or poop. He doesn't cry at all when going. When his food was switched, he did have days where he would continue with his normal food. It was given to us by a family member whose cat didn't enjoy it, and well Charlie (my cat) did. But it didn't mean it suited him. 

I thought it may have been the food honestly, his stomach has gurgling yesterday also which a friend said that can be normal, but being a first time cat owner, I'm pretty worried about everything.

Thank you for the quick reply, it much appreciated, 

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Digging around is very normal litter box behavior. Every cat has their own little litter box routine and must be Charlie's. It does indeed sound like the food caused the slight upset. It could have been the food itself or just that it was introduced too quickly for his system to adjust. You're doing a great job. He's a lucky little kitty!

nyankoandco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words. Makes me feel less concerned about him. I'll give him a few days to get it out his system, if he doesn't... he's off to the vets. 

By the way,  your cat is beautiful. 

thanks again for the help, its definitely put me at ease.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The size of his box could be the issue too. As he grows he might want more space. I have a girl cat who pees on the side of the box. If the side isn't high enough; she pees on and over the edge.

nyankoandco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His litter box is quite large, so much so it could fit two of him in it! :D

My flatmate and I were actually considering on getting a smaller one it's that big, heh.

Update: He's no longer poopin' outside the box and his leavings are back to a normal consistency, colour and smell. Thanks to everyone who replied back! You were very helpful to me and helped alleviate alot of stress. Love this website! <3 

ctotton9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, here's my problem. My senior cat is 16 years young. I say young because she still runs around here like her tail is on fire.she cracks me up, but she does exhibit a behavioral problem. It started like a year ago, and I've been trying everything to correct it,to no avail. She is going to the bathroom outside her box. Mostly poop, she'll go in the closet or under the desk. If she pees outside the box, it's directly in front like she tried to make and just couldn't. So now my husband won't let me let her out of my office unless I'm holding her or a very close eye on her. Better than the alternative. Can you help me please

Thx for ur time

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, here's my problem. My senior cat is 16 years young. I say young because she still runs around here like her tail is on fire.she cracks me up, but she does exhibit a behavioral problem. It started like a year ago, and I've been trying everything to correct it,to no avail. She is going to the bathroom outside her box. Mostly poop, she'll go in the closet or under the desk. If she pees outside the box, it's directly in front like she tried to make and just couldn't. So now my husband won't let me let her out of my office unless I'm holding her or a very close eye on her. Better than the alternative. Can you help me please

Thx for ur time
Can you tell us what you've tried?

ctotton9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd clean of the area first I did with vinegar bc I'm allergic to chemicals a site said to use it. My husband bleach solution, that didn't work. Someone told him Cayanne pepper in the area to deter her she keeps going back. I thought when we moved she'd stop. But she is doing the same thing. We scoop her box every morning, and clean it at least once a month.