Advice Wanted for Dealing With Shut Down Cat

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
The toy thing depends on the cat.

Sweet Gum's reaction to toys as a kitten was she adored little balls of foil to chase. She took her big cuddle doll (stuffed rabbit) and used it to block the door on her carrier when we went to the vet. That was it.

She has a long piece of clothesline she likes to chase. If you try this make the clothesline move like a snake.

But other than the above, she will not touch a new toy until it's been in the toy box or on the floor near the toy box for 9 months. Then she'll play with it. The only trick is to wait and see what the pattern is. Yes, I was disappointed she didn't want cuddly toys.
Me too! There are so many cute cuddly toys but Gypsy won't have anything to do with them. She loves cardboard scratchers.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Those treats look interesting. However, I'm in Australia so I can get Temptation treats (they are ubiquitous) but not those others. I'll keep searching for the magic treat. My other cats are enjoying my experiments at least.

Fergie has encountered one of my other cats, Jack. He is always convinced what is in someone else's bowl must be better than what I've given him, so he has pushed his way into her room a couple of times when I'm taking in her meals. She just freezes and he ignores her as he just wants her food! A harmless interaction.
:clap::clap2::cheerleader:Baby steps:catrub:.
I order from amazon, I've found they are the cheapest. The Smarty mice are always a hit they're light and she bats them around in the air. The mice, her scratchers and some small light balls are the only toys she plays with solo.
The cat dancer is hit or miss. The Greenies are always a favorite and the dental ones can be found at Walmart. I order the skin and fur ones. The Sheba come in packs of 5 so we get a total of 50. The Churu we get is a 24 pack. 20210620_084426.jpg 20210620_084327.jpg 20210620_083935.jpg 20210620_083910.jpg 20210620_083817.jpg

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey and before him, Artie loved the YEOW catnip little fishes.. Hard to find.. and the YEOW catnip trout is a big hit with Geoffrey!
He also likes the tiny sponge soccer balls...

wand toys are his 'thing'... as is the Cat Dancer!

Neither Geoffrey or Artie are/were fans of DaBird, or Jackson Galaxy's toys.

A wine cork is also a great toy! as are the tops of water bottles! and tin foil balls.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey and before him, Artie loved the YEOW catnip little fishes.. Hard to find.. and the YEOW catnip trout is a big hit with Geoffrey!
He also likes the tiny sponge soccer balls...

wand toys are his 'thing'... as is the Cat Dancer!

Neither Geoffrey or Artie are/were fans of DaBird, or Jackson Galaxy's toys.

A wine cork is also a great toy! as are the tops of water bottles! and tin foil balls.
Gypsy doesn't care for the Jackson Galaxy toys either.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn’t read replies. My approach is different than most but it works. Don’t try to befriend her. Feed and water her but don’t try to interact with her. Change her litter but just take care of her needs and ignore her. Try that for a month. What I have found is that cats get real bored and will seek you out after a while and only then do you acknowledge them but only briefly. Leave before she wants you to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bfls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, any progress is good progress, it always takes baby steps. Just keep going into the room when you can and reading out loud, etc. getting her used to your presence and voice. Three months is NOT a long time in a cat's world, I bet you see a big difference by Christmas. We, humans, are always wanting things our way right now. Animals are not like that. Cats absolutely hate change and it takes a long time to change their behaviors. There are a few rules to follow, don't ever force her into anything, let her think it is her idea. Never stare into her eyes, that is a threat to a cat, act like you are ignoring her and it will put her more at ease. with my ferals, I always got that first stroke, first touch while they were occupied with eating, so now work on her eating in front of you. And GRADUALLY moving closer. Once that first touch happens, it snowballs from there.....
Thanks for the advice - but Christmas is such a long way away!

I do spend time in her room, just reading or knitting or playing games on my phone and basically ignoring her. I feel bad doing that, which I know is a purely human reaction. I feel like I should be better company for her, but I realise from a cat point-of-view I am being good company by not trying to engage with her when she doesn't want me to. My other cats have a such a good life (play, cuddles and just plenty going on to watch or sunny spots to snooze in) and poor Fergie is missing out.

We'll get there. Teeny, tiny baby steps but we will get there.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice - but Christmas is such a long way away!

I do spend time in her room, just reading or knitting or playing games on my phone and basically ignoring her. I feel bad doing that, which I know is a purely human reaction. I feel like I should be better company for her, but I realise from a cat point-of-view I am being good company by not trying to engage with her when she doesn't want me to. My other cats have a such a good life (play, cuddles and just plenty going on to watch or sunny spots to snooze in) and poor Fergie is missing out.

We'll get there. Teeny, tiny baby steps but we will get there.
:wave3: You have great instincts, you 'think cat' most excellently. :lol: And, yes, you will get there! I am so happy you are not expecting Fergie to respond to Your agenda but instead are allowing her to come along at her own pace as she feels safe:heartshape: Is there any way you can rig it so she can see the rest of the cats interacting with you? I think it was Jcatbird Jcatbird who installed a screen door to one of her inside rooms for cat interaction without actual interaction. It allowed the cat in the room to feel like one of the group and not so isolated but still feel safe. Hang in there,:hangin::cheerleader: You are doing great, keep us updated. :touched: :catrub: :bouquet:

bfls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Progress is being made. It is slow but it is happening.

Fergie is comfortable eating when I'm in the room, although her food bowl is still under the bed. If she is already under the bed when I give her food she will routinely start eating it. Twice last week she actually came out in the open (for all of 2 feet) to cross from her igloo to get under the bed to eat.

I've bought a pet gate that goes across the doorway to her room. When I home during the day I leave her door open but the gate across it. The slats are too close together to for a cat to get through, although they can jump over it if suitably motivated. So far she has approached the gate a couple of times to exchange sniffs with 2 out of 3 of my crew. There was only hissing once. I think one of mine stuck a paw through the gate and took a swipe.

Overall, her body language seems a lot more at ease. I think she is finally starting to think of her room as a place of safety and security rather than a cage. I worked out she's been with me for 100 days as of last Sunday, so she is definitely going at her own pace.

I'm going to keep this up for another few weeks. If all continues to go well, I'll try letting one of my crew into the room with her. I would really like to get to the point when I don't have to keep her separated from the rest all of the time.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm so glad things are improving and that you are wonderful enough to allow things to proceed at her pace. If it were me I'd make sure she could see us on the other side of the pet gate and let her watch me interacting with the other fur babys. Gypsy & I are proud of all of you. :hangin: :touched:

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t let any of the other cats in until you close off under the bed. If the cats start fighting and get under the bed, you’re going to have a devil off a time separating them.

bfls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t let any of the other cats in until you close off under the bed. If the cats start fighting and get under the bed, you’re going to have a devil off a time separating them.
That's something to think about. I hadn't thought of that.

bfls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had Fergie for 10 months now and thought I post an update if anyone is curious. I've formally adopted her and renamed her Sophie.

The introduction with my cats went very well - quickly and without fighting or any dramas. She gets on well with my two boys, Harry and particularly Jack. They sleep together, play together and groom each other. She and my other female cat, Emily, exist in a state of wary neutrality which is the friendliest Emily is to any other cat.

Sophie is happy roaming around the house but is scared to go out in the catio. She is chill with me moving about but will only let me approach her at play time or meal times - when she will sometimes (but only sometimes) rub up against my legs. She generally hops up on the bed and sleeps with me at night (along with the rest of the crew - good thing I have a big bed).

On the downside, she has only let me pet her exactly twice. Both times first thing in the morning when we have a general cuddle before getting up for breakfast.

I got in touch with the rescue organisation who had her first (not the one who fostered her out to me). Turns out she was a feral who'd be taken in around 6-8 weeks before I got her. She was doing so badly at her first shelter if they hadn't been able to find her a foster home they were going to put her down as she was starving herself. So when I think of where she started she has come a very long way. Below is a picture of Sophie now.

FergieRelaxing.jpg

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is so cute!! She will continue to become more relaxed. You’ve done great with her.

Bluelett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for sharing your Fergie/Sophie story! I'm in awe at what you took on and the time it took and your patience!

I found this posting while searching for "shut down cat" regarding my own current foster who has been with us 3 weeks now and won't come out from under the futon when we are in his room, and hardly at all during the day. He basically doesn't move at all. Frozen in place when we are there. Doesn't make a sound either. I feel like I've tried everything (except closing off his access to under the futon.). He supposedly was a house-cat, not feral. I keep telling myself it takes time and to be patient.

bfls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just have patience. He will settle in time. Sophie proved it. It just may take lots (and lots (and lots)) of it :D

I know typical advice is to close off "unders" but I don't agree. When they are terrified, I think it is best to let them have a place where they feel safe and let them explore their world at their own pace. Forcing them to come out in the open more than they want to just seems cruel.

Latest update on Sophie. I've had her now for almost 2 years and she has become a cuddly lap cat! She adores being brushed and is very put out if I don't spend several hours every evening on the couch providing her with a lap to snooze on. Her spot on my bed is reserved and none of my other cats dare to try to evict her.

Bluelett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wonderful to hear about Sophie! If I was adopting this cat, giving months and months of time would just be what we'd do. But since we are fostering, I don't think we can give it that long of a try. Plus I worry if he eventually comes around with me, and then we adopt him out, that may set him back.

But as I'm reading more about scared cats, 3 weeks isn't that long, and I'm definitely willing to put in more time with this sweet cat.

He's had some tiny tiny progress, so there's hope. I probably set him back by petting him while he was on top of the futon in his cat cave/tunnel. He tolerated it, and I was thinking if he just knew how nice it felt to be gently petted, he'd come around. But after I left the room, he went back to hiding under the futon. Now I think next time he's in the cat cave on the couch, I will just leave him be. Maybe sit next to him or sit on the floor nearby and hang out. I was likely "invading his safe space" and that set us back a bit. Sigh. Patience, I keep telling myself.