Advice on what to do? (moving, three cats)

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some of you may remember my last post in which I moved into a lovely apartment with my two cats, Rems and Theo!
A lot has happened since and I am recently engaged to my wonderful fiance, who also has a cat. The house I am living in currently is a girls only house and we can't live there.
Thus ensues the issue of trying to find a place that allows three cats. Do you guys have any resources on this? For our wedding registry we are only asking for money to help with a down payment on a house but in the meantime we are avidly searching for a place to live. Every place we have contacted has a very strict one cat or two cats only policy and are not willing to make exceptions (including all private landlords and house rentals I've spoken with).
People are telling us to rehome one of the cats but even the thought is honestly heartbreaking. We have talked before about rehoming my handsome prince Theo because I believe he would do better in a single-cat household. However him and I have made so much progress and he's adjusted to living with other cats. He is my heart cat, if that makes sense. He's so precious to me and I feel like crying just thinking of rehoming.
To those wondering, I will not lie to any potential landlord. Way too much risk and very against my personal morals. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Some places will allow more than 1 (or 2) pets, but it usually comes with a monthly fee per pet. If you're willing to pay that, then keep searching. Rehoming a cat that you care so much for should be the absolute last option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some places will allow more than 1 (or 2) pets, but it usually comes with a monthly fee per pet. If you're willing to pay that, then keep searching. Rehoming a cat that you care so much for should be the absolute last option.
Yep, it will be absolute last option, and even then I'd only ever rehome him to a family member/close friend. I can't believe the people telling us to just rehome one like it's easy :( some people don't view pets as family members and that's so weird to me. And I will pay whatever I need to to keep all of them!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would still contact the landlords with a two-cat limit and explain. For a higher deposit, they may allow it, you never know. Have you looked into leasing or buying/ the interest rates can't be beaten. Your money could be used for a down payment.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your engagement!

A lot of rentals do seem to have a two cat limit, which is ridiculous. I can see not wanting ten cats, but three should be fine. I agree with di and bob di and bob about reaching out again and maybe offering to pay a bit more for a third cat exception. It's definitely nice owning our own home (we still only have two cats, but if we wanted more, it's nice knowing we'd have the option!).