advice on toys for a kitten that doesn't react during a play

koo1kat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all,

I would appreciate any advice on toys I should get to make my kitten more active while playing hunting. ( playing tricks also welcome)

background: She's almost 6 months now and has been living with me for about 3 months. She's a single pet (but please don't tell me to get a second kitten because I cannot) My husband and I both work from home, and I try to play with her 3 times a day.
We have a cat tree by a huge window and most of the basic stuff that people recommend.

So, even from the start, she got bored with toys pretty quickly, but she did run and jump and had fun hunting from time to time.
But recently, it's gotten much worse and she wouldn't really react to any toys I use for playing hunting.
She would just sit there and watch with her eyes most of the time. If I hide the toy behind curtains or under blankets, she would sometimes come and pounce a little but rarely runs after it. I try to make it crawl, fly, hide, and do all kinds of things to entice her but nothing works! She just looks at me like she's watching TV...
I have all kinds of popular hunting toys like Da bird(only follows with her eyes), Da rat(wouldn't even touch it), Da bee(not interested), Dancing Cat(loved it for 3 days and then got frustrated), wiggly worm, and whatnot. And I do put them away after playing and rotate.

I don't think it's a health-related problem, because she's recently seen a vet and was deemed healthy, and also she runs and jumps like crazy when she's having the zoomies. She does get super excited and runs after when we play the game of throwing a treat across the room. (but I'd like to play this game only once a day to limit her treat)
And I think she's too young to lose interest in playing..

if I stop playing with her because she doesn't react and go away, she would yowl and meow and cry(She's EXTREMELY vocal). Also, maybe it's because of boredom, her "love bite" has become worse recently.

Please share any ideas on toys or know-hows for making a kitten more interested in playing hunting. I feel huge pressure to play with her as much as possible since she's a single kitten, but it's becoming so frustrating and stressful...

thank you so much for reading.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since play is hunt practice a hungry cat is more interested in play. You could put away her crunchies and see if that gets her instincts to kick in. Hopefully she will associate play with getting a meal. I think 2-3 hrs with out eating should be ok at her age.