Advice On The Stray Who Just Adopted Us

Kellyjb27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I just found this site while searching for some answers, and I hoping I can get some educated thoughts.
We appear to have been chosen by one of the neighborhood strays this week as his new family. Sweet little guy who looks like his life has been hard to this point. We took him to the vet, and he has ear mites, ring worm, and tested positive for FIV. He has been neutered, so he belonged to someone at some point. We’ve started topical treatment on the ringworm, lime sulfur dip supplies will be arriving soon. I had no idea ear drops would be so challenging to administer!! The vet said nothing about systemic meds, but it looks like that might be a good idea from what I’ve been reading.
He is currently quarantined in the basement as we have other animals in the house. I’m wondering now if those fungus spores can be spread through the ventilation ducts, as our heater is down there. Yikes.
My dilemma is that one of our other babies is another kitty we rescued this summer. He is FIV negative. The vet said we shouldn’t keep the new guy due his being positive. Our online research says it is possible, however, for the two to live together.
I’m extremely torn in what to do. Rocky, as we are calling the new guy, is in extreme need of a good home, and we can provide that, but I don’t want to put Tig’s health in danger.
I’m new at being a cat mom, and any kind answers would be greatly appreciated, as I’d love to learn from your much more educated experiences! Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, then! Welcome to TCS, and BOY, am I glad that you found us! First, let me thank you for taking on this poor baby. It sounds as if he really needed a soft place to land, and found one.

Let's start with the ringworm, which is FAR more of an issue than the FIV, believe it or not! Ringworm can be a real bear. As you know, it is treatable, and you are doing so, which is all to the good. I'm going to give you the links to a couple of articles about dealing with ringworm that will help you. SOME of it may not apply, since your boy has been isolated, but some of it certainly will.

Ringworm In Cats: How To Win The Fight
Ringworm Infestation In Cats: The Housecleaning Regime

Now, the FIV issue. FIV cats can live long, happy, and relatively healthy lives. There are a good many FIV positive cats here at TCS, many of them living long-term with FIV negative housemates. FIV in cats is spread through deep bite wounds. That's it. Deep bite wounds. SO...the question becomes not is it safe, but rather, how do I make it safe, for these cats to live together? And for that, we're going to the wonderful world of introducing cats the right way! Again, I'm linking articles for you that will take you through it step by step.

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
and just in case, because it may be handy,
Introducing Cats To Dogs

With all of these, patience is the key. You canNOT go any faster than the most timid/angry cat. THEY have to set the pace, and I've seen some very successful introductions that took months to achieve, but they got there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kellyjb27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my goodness! Thank you SO much! So helpful and encouraging. I appreciate it more than you know.

We do have two dogs, too, so that link will come in handy. I don’t think we introduced them to Tig well when we found him. They get along well now, though, so that’s good!

I had never been a cat person until we found Tig, but that has changed dramatically! They can be such sweet babies. Now I can’t imagine life without them!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Kellyjb27 Kellyjb27 Thank you so much for helping this cat.

:rock:

I care for a large group of former feral and rescued cats. One of them is FIV positive, 20 of them are FIV negative. The chances of FIV being passed between neutered cats is absolutely minimal. You really don't need to worry about it.

I'm here if you need any advice about caring for FIV cats, we have plenty of other members on TCS who care for cats that have FIV too.

Kellyjb27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow that is really good news! I’ve been reading a lot about introducing cats, and it seems like that is key to making this pair work. I’m glad to know that other people are doing it successfully.

Kellyjb27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I just found this site while searching for some answers, and I hoping I can get some educated thoughts.
We appear to have been chosen by one of the neighborhood strays this week as his new family. Sweet little guy who looks like his life has been hard to this point. We took him to the vet, and he has ear mites, ring worm, and tested positive for FIV. He has been neutered, so he belonged to someone at some point. We’ve started topical treatment on the ringworm, lime sulfur dip supplies will be arriving soon. I had no idea ear drops would be so challenging to administer!! The vet said nothing about systemic meds, but it looks like that might be a good idea from what I’ve been reading.
He is currently quarantined in the basement as we have other animals in the house. I’m wondering now if those fungus spores can be spread through the ventilation ducts, as our heater is down there. Yikes.
My dilemma is that one of our other babies is another kitty we rescued this summer. He is FIV negative. The vet said we shouldn’t keep the new guy due his being positive. Our online research says it is possible, however, for the two to live together.
I’m extremely torn in what to do. Rocky, as we are calling the new guy, is in extreme need of a good home, and we can provide that, but I don’t want to put Tig’s health in danger.
I’m new at being a cat mom, and any kind answers would be greatly appreciated, as I’d love to learn from your much more educated experiences! Thanks!
I’m new at being a cat mom, and any kind answers would be greatly appreciated, as I’d love to learn from your much more educated experiences! Than
OK, then! Welcome to TCS, and BOY, am I glad that you found us! First, let me thank you for taking on this poor baby. It sounds as if he really needed a soft place to land, and found one.

Let's start with the ringworm, which is FAR more of an issue than the FIV, believe it or not! Ringworm can be a real bear. As you know, it is treatable, and you are doing so, which is all to the good. I'm going to give you the links to a couple of articles about dealing with ringworm that will help you. SOME of it may not apply, since your boy has been isolated, but some of it certainly will.

Ringworm In Cats: How To Win The Fight
Ringworm Infestation In Cats: The Housecleaning Regime

Now, the FIV issue. FIV cats can live long, happy, and relatively healthy lives. There are a good many FIV positive cats here at TCS, many of them living long-term with FIV negative housemates. FIV in cats is spread through deep bite wounds. That's it. Deep bite wounds. SO...the question becomes not is it safe, but rather, how do I make it safe, for these cats to live together? And for that, we're going to the wonderful world of introducing cats the right way! Again, I'm linking articles for you that will take you through it step by step.

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)
Introducing Cats To Cats
and just in case, because it may be handy,
Introducing Cats To Dogs

With all of these, patience is the key. You canNOT go any faster than the most timid/angry cat. THEY have to set the pace, and I've seen some very successful introductions that took months to achieve, but they got there!
Great news! The ringworm test came back negative! Little Bean can start acclimating to the family! Bring on the introduction phase!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 former feral cats that I brought inside my home that are FIV+. Both are very healthy. I supplement with Vetriscience DMG on a daily basis to help keep their immune system strong.

I also have 4 other cats and none of them are FIV+. One was even bitten by one of the FIV+ cats. I had him retested to be sure and he is just fine!

Kellyjb27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 former feral cats that I brought inside my home that are FIV+. Both are very healthy. I supplement with Vetriscience DMG on a daily basis to help keep their immune system strong.

I also have 4 other cats and none of them are FIV+. One was even bitten by one of the FIV+ cats. I had him retested to be sure and he is just fine!
Oh that’s great! I’ll look for the vetriscience and hope these boys can become friends!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Great news! The ringworm test came back negative! Little Bean can start acclimating to the family! Bring on the introduction phase!
Ask, and you shall receive!

Introducing Cats To Cats
AND
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

The key to all of this is, of course, patience. Just remember that you can't go any faster than the most reluctant cat, and all will be well!

GREAT news about the ringworm!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you had a space in your heart just big enough for Rocky and he heard it calling him. Maybe Tig did to. Cats fill the void. That's what they do. :sunshine:

You might want to consider finding a vet with a somewhat more optimistic view of FIV cats to take care of him. If the vet is inclined to tell you to get rid of him, and didn't know that Rocky isn't really a danger to Tig, one wonders how much he knows about working with FIV cats, and how up to date his knowledge of cats is.

Kellyjb27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know you had a space in your heart just big enough for Rocky and he heard it calling him. Maybe Tig did to. Cats fill the void. That's what they do. :sunshine:

You might want to consider finding a vet with a somewhat more optimistic view of FIV cats to take care of him. If the vet is inclined to tell you to get rid of him, and didn't know that Rocky isn't really a danger to Tig, one wonders how much he knows about working with FIV cats, and how up to date his knowledge of cats is.
That’s some sound advice! I took him to the vet at our local shelter, and she was very supportive of us keeping him!
His hair is growing back in on his sides, and he looks so much healthier. Gained over a pound in one week! He’s got such a sweet disposition.
You have all been so supportive on this site. It is so very much appreciated!