Advice on taking in a stray or not?

elishifts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum, and I came here looking for some advice. I will start by saying I have never had cats in my life, so this is why I figured I'd search for some answers, as I've been reading the forum for a while now and trust you all.

So I guess the question I have is "do I take this cat in or let her be?", in the end, and I'll tell you the whole ordeal. This stray cat has shown up and is hanging out by my parents' house. She is a black and white cat, with a really fluffy tail, almost long fur but not quite. She showed up a couple months ago, made home of the property, and hasn't left since. I believe she is about 8 months old now, maybe older, but she's a very small cat regardless. She is the absolute sweetest cat I've ever met! She purrs like a machine, she adores being held and getting "squished" (honestly, I'll hold her up to my face and hug her and she won't move a muscle, just purrs and is content to be held), and whenever anyone sits down nearby, she'll lay on their lap and take naps. A very cuddly cat, our guess is that someone actually abandoned her near our property -- we think she must've come from a house with little kids, with how easily she accepts being handled. But that's all speculation anyway.

Now, my parents don't want to take her inside, they have a lot of big dogs and they also never had cats (my family is a big time dog-people family). They love her though, they feed her, we even got her fixed as soon as she showed up, since we know we have unfixed male cats in our area roaming around! She was also a sweetheart in that process, the vet fell in love with her too, and she even let me give her meds with no issue. She has never scratched or hissed any of us, and she's so chill meeting strangers too, it's crazy. Anyone gets a lap full of cat if they sit down near her. I always only met strays who were a lot more scared of people!

So this house she's staying at, it's a more rural property, we have chickens free roaming and cows and all that. She sleeps outside, under a deck of the house, on the dirt. She has food and water available to her, she gets the eventual attention from whenever someone is sitting outside and gives her scratches, and she spends her days taking naps and climbing trees and hunting for birds.

I am considering taking her into my place. I'm an adult, I live alone, in an apartment that is one hour away. I have a dog, he is a mini breed with little to no prey drive (I used to have a small bird as a pet along with this dog, and the dog never posed a threat!) and he loves cats, so the biggest issue with adaptation would be getting him to not be overexcited about the cat (lol) and adjusting him to no longer being an only child. But these are things I know would happen with time and patience. I really believe my dog would be a good fit for a cat companion! Also, the stray currently does hang out with dogs, large breeds who occasionally go over to sniff her, and she's still a sweetheart about it. She was scared of them at first, but now she doesn't mind them. At most, if they get too rowdy around her, she'll swat at them with her paw, without even putting her claws out lol.

Basically what I'm wondering is if she'll be happy as an indoors cat? She is so cuddly and seems like such a lap cat so that's why I feel inclined to take her in. I grew up with dogs all my life, so I would always say that a spoiled dog indoors (with proper accomodations) is better than a dog sleeping outside on the streets. But I don't know if the same goes for cats! Like, wouldn't she miss hunting for birds and being outdoors? Will she be sad, confined to an apartment? Also, will she adapt to using a litterbox inside?

For added information, I live in a 3-bedroom apartment by myself, it's spacious and all the windows/balcony are protected by screens because the previous owners had a cat. I'm fully willing to give the cat all the toys, good food and vet care it needs. I spend part-time out of my weekdays studying/working but the rest of the day I'm home. I also sometimes go away on weekends and stay at my parents' -- my dog comes with me, but I wouldn't be able to take my cat inside, as I already said here previously. So if I'm away for the weekend, I'd ask someone to pop into my apartment and feed/clean up after her, but I also worry if that would be okay, or if she would be too lonely?

In conclusion, I want to know everyone's opinions on whether or not this cat would be happy going inside and being in a furever home, or if outside cats are just happier that way. I'm doing my research and will buy all the things needed to own a cat, rest assured she would be spoiled! But I really don't know if cats are built different than dogs in that way, and I worry about making the wrong decision.

Thank you for reading! Any advice is appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, and welcome!

She'll not only be happier she'll be so much safer 💞 plus, you could train her to harness and leash walks.

You could always set up a camera so you can see what she does when you're away, but she'll likely nap a lot :)

These may be helpful as well;

First-time Cat Owner's Guide - TheCatSite Articles

How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog - TheCatSite Articles

How to Entertain Your Cat in an Apartment (even a small one!) - TheCatSite Articles

Harness And Leash Training For Cats - TheCatSite Articles

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This kitty sounds like such a sweetheart, I'd take her inside in a minute! Several years ago, I had a similar dilemma when taking care of a semi-feral cat and a stray cat outside. I finally decided to make them indoor cats and haven't regretted it for a single second. I was worrying about them all the time when I saw them crossing the street, when they wouldn't show up for a meal, and just hated it when they brought tiny dead bunnies to my back door. It took awhile for them to adjust and meet my other cats, but they used the litter box (I use Cat Attract litter) the first time without a problem.

It sounds like you have a perfect home to adopt a cat and it is fun to buy cat trees and catnip toys and cat beds! A new adventure for you both and a much safer life for this little cat!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, take her, take her, take her!!! She sounds like she would like a safe home and may have even been abandoned at some point. You will need to get her thoroughly looked over by a vet in the near future, just so they can check her out, test her for various viruses, and get her vaccinated thereafter.

However, do not be surprised if there is a bit of a 'backward' trend with her as she adjusts to a very new lifestyle. Change always brings about some apprehension and cats, of course, will respond that way most of the time. You have some good TCS articles to read above, but here are some others that might be beneficial as well.
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside - TheCatSite Articles
New Cat Checklist: What You Need To Get Before Bringing Kitty Home - TheCatSite Articles
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite Articles

Welcome to our cat world!! :wave3:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
All of my indoor only cats have been outdoor rescues...most true ferals originally. Your cat does not sound the least bit feral, so that is a huge plus. I would definitely take her to your place. You may be shocked at how quickly she realizes that she is now safe and cared for and how quickly her interest in going outside may diminish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elishifts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone! You are all so kind and I have no doubt in taking this kitty in now, you are right, she will be safer inside and I feel like she deserves some nice fluffy beds and indoors time. Thank you for all the helpful articles too, I've been reading up on them!

Hopefully I can give an update soon. I will have to wait about two weeks to get her, as I'm going out of town pretty soon and I wouldn't want her to only have around 3 days to acclimate to the change before I leave for a bit. So I'll be coming back to let everyone know how it goes. Thank you again!

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it’s any help, one of my current cats was a stray we found on my uncle‘s farm, living the stray cat life, hunting, doing whatever she wanted, somehow surviving below freezing temperatures in the winter. We took her in and she seriously never looked back. She is perfectly content, she has never even remotely tried to get outside. It‘s almost like she realizes how good she has it now.

elishifts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone, again!
As of today, she is safely in her forever home now! I just brought her in, she slept the whole car ride in her carrier and as soon as I let her out, she was exploring. The plan is to keep her in the guest bedroom and introduce her and my dog slowly. She was actually super eager to explore, and as soon as I opened the bedroom door to go pick something up, she zoomed outside and started seeing the rest of the apartment (I'm clearly still getting used to how fast and slick cats are, lol).
I let her look around because she looked really comfortable. She scratched a scratching post in the living room and then started making biscuits on my dog's bed! Well, we're taking introductions a couple steps back now as we should, because the cat in fact loved the dog bed so much that she refused to leave it (she was soooo comfy, stretched all the way out and napping, all within the same hour of getting her here), and my dog started to get antsy lol. So I'm gonna keep her back in the guest bedroom for now, so he can be less stressed about having a new friend around, too. But my dog was a champ, he wasn't even trying to play or engage with her, he was just sitting a few feet away staring and then started whining about her being in his bed lol.
I have also just ordered a new fluffy bed, and hoping they can learn to share the space lol
Anyway, it's going well so far! She's also eating, and hasn't used the litterbox yet but I've put her into it a couple times just to make sure she sees the sand. She seemed content to just be around here, to be honest, and even now that she's in the guest bedroom alone for a bit while I write, she's not calling out or sounding distressed at all. Fingers crossed it continues to go smoothly!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is completely heartwarming to read this. Some cats seem to realize immediately that their life has changed for the better forever when they are brought to their new home and I think that your cat is one of those. Scratching post, a bed, food...this is a five star place.

elishifts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It makes me so happy to have so much support, really, thank you everyone! Here's a picture of how she was napping last night, in the middle of the living room (and peep my dog's paws to the side, he was watching her with interest lol). She was sleeping so good here that it actually took a while to wake her up, when I needed to move her back into her room for the night. I think she reallyyy likes it here! :hearthrob: it makes me so happy

This is the morning for me now, and the first night also went really well. We had our first two pees in the litterbox! And she ate all the food I had left out for her. When I let her out of her bedroom this morning, she was super playful and we played a lot (she made it her job to attack all of my dogs' plushies), before I had to leave for uni classes (she's safely back in her bedroom while I'm away, and my dog gets the rest of the house). She ignores my dog, isn't scared of him at all, if anything she tries to approach and he's the one to move away lol he's still dealing with the idea of having a new friend around. Great stuff! Thank you everyone!

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 09.15.41.png

TARTARA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Excellent !

Hi Ls and Gs,im new into this forum !

We always been around dogs since we are little kids, but we never had a cat !
But the last year we are trying to take care on some stray cats in the neighborhood... ! Later on, one female of them had badys, so we keep one female of them, it's totally a different experience, im glad that you keep her, she is amazing !

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I always wonder what goes through their minds when they have been rescued and found that they now live an entirely different life. She is so happy!