Advice on taking cat with me

peanut07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my cat going on 6 years ago. She is the sweetest cat and I love her dearly. She is my cat. Very attatched to me. She sleeps with me, follows me around everywhere and when I'm gone she stays glued to my side when I get back. She has been an indoor outdoor cat.

I am separating from my husband soon. I don't know what the best thing is for my cat. Should I take her? I will be renting a small apt. and she wouldn't be able to go outside anymore. Or should I leave her here with my husband and two other cats? My husband would feed her and take ok care of her but he works long hours and isn't home too much. I want to take her but only if it is the best thing for her. I thought I could buy an outdoor enclosure and set it on the balcony. I know that is a far cry from being able to go out and wonder but she really doesn't go out as much as she use too. Maybe an hour in the morn. and an hour in eve. I'm just afraid I won't do the right thing. I'm older and retired so I wouldn't have to leave her very much.

I love her so much but I want what is best for her.

Thank you.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
This is such a sad situation, and I really feel for you.

It sounds, from what you've said, that she is more interested in you than any other human or cat.

If you weight it up, she may have her outside option if she stays, but she won't have you.  If it were me I'd be taking her.

Last edited:

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If taking her is a realistic option, I'd take her. You are more important to her than outside. I'm sorry you are faced with this decision.

malla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd take her. She seems most attached to you. *hugs*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peanut07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone. This is hard for me. I hate taking her away from the only home she has ever known but in my heart I have to think she'd be better off with me.  I think I am going to take her and if she seems unable to adjust I could bring her back. I'm hoping after a short time she will adjust. The hard part will be turning into a house cat but I will be home most of the time. I am going to try and not go anywhere much for the first month.  It is so hard to make this decision.  I love her I really do want what is best for her.

Thank you again.

Last edited:

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is such a hard decision. How close is she with the other cats? I know that our newest adopted cat would be perfectly happy if she was the only cat in the house. But our 2 boys are BFFs and would miss each other if they were separated. 

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds to me like her world is focused on you.  It won't do her any harm to have her "world" reduced to a small apartment.  Better than a cage at a shelter.  Indoor cats do very well living in very tight quarters.  They will almost certainly live longer than if they go outside.  Take her with you, love her, let her love you, and face the future bravely together.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think being without you would be much more difficult for her than being with you in a small apt and unable to go outside.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping a kitty indoor only.  In fact, it's so much safer for them.  I also think it would be good for you to have her with you as you would have someone to look after and you'd have a companion to help you through this difficult transition in your life. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I'm sorry you are going through this rough time right now. 
   I agree w/ the others, she would miss you too much, & you her.  Defiantly take her.

Best wishes to you!!!!

camachinist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If possible, IMO transition her to an indoor cat while still in familiar surroundings and solidify litterbox habits, then move her once your new domicile is established. The outdoor enclosure is a wonderful idea and I'd add some activity items (ladders, trees, etc) inside the apartment as well. My bet is she'll be fine. If possible, train her to a harness so you can take her out and enjoy her outdoors. Since she shadows you anyway, it's only a matter of harness training. Doesn't always work but worth a try IMO.

My sympathies regarding your divorce. A loving cat as a companion can certainly ease the pain and bring some joy to your new life. Hope it works out.

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw...I totally understand your dilemma because I was in your situation back in 1997 (except for the kitty going outside part). I had two kitties, Abby and Tuffy, brothers that I just could not leave behind when I left; we were much more bonded than they were with my ex. I knew they would be "okay" with my ex, but just being "okay" wasn't going to cut it for me, and that sounds like the case for you. Please take your sweet girl with you--you will never regret the decision! My two boys were such a source of comfort and love that it is hard to describe.

As far as her being an inside only kitty, if you provide a tall kitty tree, lots of toys (including interactive ones like Da Bird that you two can play with together), and loads of love, she'll be fine. The kitty enclosure on the balcony is an excellent idea! Oh what fun she will have out there! I would add perches, grow some cat grass in pots for her, things to climb on, etc. and make it a safe, wonderful "outside" environment for her. The idea of training her to a harness is a great idea too--you could go on adventurous walks together.
Just make sure to get an actual harness, not just a collar and leash as kitties can get out of those too easily.

Best wishes to you and your girl as you start this new phase of your life together! Oh my, listen to me...I'm already assuming she's going with you!

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you can try to harness train her and/or get a pet stroller so she can still get some time outdoors...

mypallily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my indoor/outdoor cat to a condo apartment and it made no difference at all to him.  Eventually he passed away at the age of 16 1/2, but he was able to spend his last years of his life in a much smaller place which he actually loved.  We are back in a house now, but at that time I worried needlessly that there would be this big adjustment for the cat and there truly wasn't.  It was more of an adjustment for me!  BTW, this was the smartest cat I have ever known.  He would go for walks with my old dog and me.  He even went to pick out Xmas trees with us every year from the tree lot down the street.  Even with that much freedom, he still adjusted well to living in an apartment.  If you are truly attached to your cat and he to you, then I wouldn't hesitate in taking him on this new adventure.  You deserve to have the cat you love by your side at such a stressful time.