Advice on taking a urine sample?

Kat.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I need to take a urine sample to bring to the vet and I've had no success for a week. I've manage to get them before but this time my cat just isn't cooperating at all.

In the past I've managed to do it in both an empty litter box and using the special litter (the one that looks like small plastic balls and doesn't absorb). I've tried both methods and he doesn't go even if really wants to urinate - yesterday he immediately ran to pee after I put his normal litter back.

The vet also told me the sample has to be very fresh so I can't take it the night before (which I remember doing at some point in the past).

Is there's anything I could try? I'm out of ideas and it's getting really frustrating.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Is there's anything I could try?
My boy had UTI some time back and the vet needed fresh urine sample so that they could do a test.

What I did was I got a disposable spoon (the Chinese soup spoon would be ideal as it is deep enough).

1) You need to get ready the urine sample container. Open up the cover and leave it within reach.
2) When your cat is moving in to the litter box to pee, follow him closely with the spoon in your hand.
3) As soon as he squat to pee, place the spoon below his bum and move the spoon slowly to catch the pee. Let the pee over flow the spoon and gently move it out of position.

You may not catch it the first time but you can try agin the next time he pees.

This is how I catch my boy's pee for a sample to be sent to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy had UTI some time back and the vet needed fresh urine sample so that they could do a test.

What I did was I got a disposable spoon (the Chinese soup spoon would be ideal as it is deep enough).

1) You need to get ready the urine sample container. Open up the cover and leave it within reach.
2) When your cat is moving in to the litter box to pee, follow him closely with the spoon in your hand.
3) As soon as he squat to pee, place the spoon below his bum and move the spoon slowly to catch the pee. Let the pee over flow the spoon and gently move it out of position.

You may not catch it the first time but you can try agin the next time he pees.

This is how I catch my boy's pee for a sample to be sent to the vet.
oh, I didn't even think of that! I'll try this, thank you!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This used to be a problem for me as well. I tried all the tricks with little success!
However, I have not been asked for a urine sample now for at least 5 years.
The reason: the urine has to be fresh and both the vets I now go to prefer, where possible, to take the sample themselves in the clinic. Usually, only a few drops are enough for the tests and pressing expertly on the cat's bladder produces sufficient urine from even the most stubborn of my cats. If you still have problems getting the required sample, I can only suggest you speak to the vet again and ask him if he can try taking a sample in the clinic. It saved me a lot of problems particularly as one of my cats only urinates once a day - that makes timing for a "fresh" sample impossible. On the other hand, it means that at the vet, there is always some urine in her bladder to coax out! :lol: