Advice on semi-feral cat

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
N NewKitty18 I know it seems like such a long time and that you'd expect them to all be used to Chase by now and everyone to be comfortable around one another but honestly,it isnt,it's only 6 months which is not long in a multi cat house hold.... have faith and be encouraged

Naturally the dynamic changes even amongst the resident cats when their a new cat comes into their territory- typically a cat that warms up to people as well as Chase has will have a harder time with the residents especially with a territorial resident in the group- remember,you are territory also so it does help to give that resident alot of attention especially in close proximity to Chase. Gold to keep in mind that cats do not get " jealous" they are simply claiming what is theirs and feeling threatened ,Chase has alot of freedom to go anywhere in a big space so it takes longer to establish his own territory and feel confident enough to say" hey,this is mine too" - instead he avoids particular places

It's both good and bad because finding his respective place is a bit more challenging....this is where lead training comes in handy ( your tough boy) and also crating so they can both be in the same space and get used to it( your bedroom)so that Chases confidence builds and he learns he does not have to avoid any areas- tough guy learns it's all YOUR territory and it pleases you when everyone co- habitates with good manners

It's up to you,eventually they'll co- exist working out their respective places- some folks are fine with that as long as it's a peaceful household but honestly it's stressful for a cat and it's not difficult to train them that it's unacceptable to behave certain ways ..... you are head of household and can help them to all live their best life in a stress free,,safe environment......

I'm happy to hear Chase is the delightful house cat I fully expected him to be,your love ,patience and kindness has taken him a long way- stay encouraged thst he'll go much further and form good relationships within the clowder---- he's a good boy,the dynamic will continue to shift

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you for checking in! Chase is much more comfortable with people. He spends at least an hour or two downstairs now instead of staying in our bedroom all the time. He loves being pet, including by kids and people he doesn’t know.

He still really struggles with our cats. We’re not worried about aggression at this point, which is a relief, but we do wonder if he would be happier as an only cat. I think he must have been a real loner when he was outside, and would get chased off by other cats. One of our girls has taken a real liking to Chase and occasionally gently tries to play with him. Chase hides from her. He and our other boy cat don’t get along at all. He makes Chase very nervous, even though he’s a huge wuss. And now the wuss avoids our bedroom a lot of the time, which is a bummer.

We’re being patient and hoping that Chase eventually becomes more confident around the others. Overall he’s really doing so well and is just super affectionate.
5c690171512d2fe4c8e4e634e3438eb9.gif

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, all! It is amazing to think about the progress he’s made in what really is a relatively short period of time.

I do want to be clear that our concern isn’t that they’ll never cohabitate, because they do, but rather wanting all of them, including chase, to be in a situation that makes them happy and confident. Chase spent so long being bullied by other cats that it’s a hard adjustment for him.

We’ve been working on giving them treats when they’re together to form positive associations. Kwik, do you have any resources on lead or crate training like you mentioned above? We are seeing movement in the right direction, but if we could speed up the progress and boost confidence for both boys that would be awesome.

The funny thing in all this is that our oldest girl who also happens to be somewhat disabled due to severe arthritis (septic arthritis before we adopted her) remains the unchallenged boss of the household. She can get the other three to back off with a look.

Also amusing is the fact that the other female seems genuinely obsessed with Chase. I realize cats don’t actually have crushes, but it very much looks like one from the human perspective. She’s actually the one Chase is most comfortable with, but he’s not thrilled with her more intense advances. 😆

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, all! It is amazing to think about the progress he’s made in what really is a relatively short period of time.

I do want to be clear that our concern isn’t that they’ll never cohabitate, because they do, but rather wanting all of them, including chase, to be in a situation that makes them happy and confident. Chase spent so long being bullied by other cats that it’s a hard adjustment for him.

We’ve been working on giving them treats when they’re together to form positive associations. Kwik, do you have any resources on lead or crate training like you mentioned above? We are seeing movement in the right direction, but if we could speed up the progress and boost confidence for both boys that would be awesome.

The funny thing in all this is that our oldest girl who also happens to be somewhat disabled due to severe arthritis (septic arthritis before we adopted her) remains the unchallenged boss of the household. She can get the other three to back off with a look.

Also amusing is the fact that the other female seems genuinely obsessed with Chase. I realize cats don’t actually have crushes, but it very much looks like one from the human perspective. She’s actually the one Chase is most comfortable with, but he’s not thrilled with her more intense advances. 😆
I'll see what I can put together for you - not today though,do you have a crate? Are they used to being contained and any familiar with a harness ?

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom might have a large dog crate. I’ll ask her if she still has it. We have a bunch of carriers and our cats enjoy playing in them, so I don’t think it would be a major adjustment. One of our cats is somewhat used to being in a harness because she likes to go outside. The one who is obsessed with Chase.

thanks so much for your help! I’ll do some searching online also and see what I can find.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom might have a large dog crate. I’ll ask her if she still has it. We have a bunch of carriers and our cats enjoy playing in them, so I don’t think it would be a major adjustment. One of our cats is somewhat used to being in a harness because she likes to go outside. The one who is obsessed with Chase.

thanks so much for your help! I’ll do some searching online also and see what I can find.
Great! Please- what's the name of the cat that's not accepting Chasd and that Chase is intimidated by? May I know all their names for easy reference?

So the kitty making it difficult like to be walked,? This gets better all the time!!!And they are all familiar and comfy in carriers and crates? Ah,I love you! This is gonna be easy easy my friend!

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, sorry, I wasn’t sure if names made it easier or harder.

Vivien: 10yo spayed female. The queen bee. Has bad arthritis. Owns both my children. She generally ignores Chase and Chase is very respectful of her.

Hedy:7yo spayed female. Currently obsessed with Chase and wants to play with him, which makes Chase nervous. They will sometimes both sleep on our bed at the same time. She’s big for a DSH female, if that matters. She's the one who is somewhat used to the harness. She doesn't walk on it very well. Mostly we just put it on her so she can sit outside. She likes carriers.

Ozzy: 4yo neutered male. Very, very attached to me. He’s a playful goof. We've tried him on a harness and he forgets that his legs work. He also likes the carriers.

Ozzy has been the most nervous around Chase since the beginning (and vice versa). I think both boys are pretty submissive and have somewhat nervous dispositions. I have seen no actual aggression between them, just some occasional posturing. They are definitely doing better than they used to, but they get freaked out easily.

Chase is BIG. Not sure if that’s a factor or not. He is overweight, which we’re working on, but he’s also just a really solid, muscular cat. And extremely orange.

The one last thing I wanted to add is that there are some tensions around food. Vivien and Ozzy both free feed, so they have feeders that only open for their microchips. Hedy will consume anything and everything and also has an incredibly delicate stomach. She gets fed three times a day. Chase acts like he’s constantly starving and will never eat again. We had him on a timed feeder for a while, which was great, except Hedy kept stealing his food before he could get there. Now Chase also has a microchip feeder and we put his meals in there twice a day. He eats everything within minutes and then immediately wants more.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, sorry, I wasn’t sure if names made it easier or harder.

Vivien: 10yo spayed female. The queen bee. Has bad arthritis. Owns both my children. She generally ignores Chase and Chase is very respectful of her.

Hedy:7yo spayed female. Currently obsessed with Chase and wants to play with him, which makes Chase nervous. They will sometimes both sleep on our bed at the same time. She’s big for a DSH female, if that matters. She's the one who is somewhat used to the harness. She doesn't walk on it very well. Mostly we just put it on her so she can sit outside. She likes carriers.

Ozzy: 4yo neutered male. Very, very attached to me. He’s a playful goof. We've tried him on a harness and he forgets that his legs work. He also likes the carriers.

Ozzy has been the most nervous around Chase since the beginning (and vice versa). I think both boys are pretty submissive and have somewhat nervous dispositions. I have seen no actual aggression between them, just some occasional posturing. They are definitely doing better than they used to, but they get freaked out easily.

Chase is BIG. Not sure if that’s a factor or not. He is overweight, which we’re working on, but he’s also just a really solid, muscular cat. And extremely orange.

The one last thing I wanted to add is that there are some tensions around food. Vivien and Ozzy both free feed, so they have feeders that only open for their microchips. Hedy will consume anything and everything and also has an incredibly delicate stomach. She gets fed three times a day. Chase acts like he’s constantly starving and will never eat again. We had him on a timed feeder for a while, which was great, except Hedy kept stealing his food before he could get there. Now Chase also has a microchip feeder and we put his meals in there twice a day. He eats everything within minutes and then immediately wants more.
Okay so actually no one free feeds - free feeding is endless supply of food always available- they eat as much as they want,as often as they want

Personally I've always free fed,new kids will gorge themselves and may even pack on some pounds but once they realize food never runs out they begin getting the idea and food is not a big deal anymore.....only my Graycie is a bit overweight but she has her own issues and is a very lazy girl too

For me free feeding has been a way of life because I always had insane fluctuating hours and if I needed to be somewhere for many hours I never had to run home for my own animals food time.... also,never any food competition that way plus I have bowls of food in every room so whoever prefers eating by themselves can - I know Jaxson Galaxy's thing is something about eating together but that often has a catch 22.....food competition can often lead to over eating and other problems thst are not resoved by insisting cats eat together,cats need their respective place - they are not a pack or a herd and do not have heirarchy so to speak

May I ask where they eat,,in close proximity of one another?

So what exactly is the issue you see? Ozzy and Chase?The ladies with Chase pose no problems?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose my free feeding came about because I was always " aquiring" ferals and semi ferals and I cannot stand to see a cat outside so in the house they'd go! At first foods the tool to gain trust but in a short while,once I'm handling them and they respond well to " come" then I don't need to use food to motivate- then they get all they can eat,ferals shovel the food in ,they so used to not knowing when the next meal will come .....

Look at Timmy,he got chubby there for a minute - now he grazes and couldn't care less about food..... that little face used to be buried in the bowl,now he leaves half at breakfast( breakfast they get some wet food)

Everyone trots into the kitchen,goes to their own wet food bowl ( 2up high- 3 on the ground )sits and waits for their own bowl to be filled..... respective places👍