Advice On My Pregnant Kitty!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whitney_erin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are keeping the black tabby Pebbles. And the grey boy Periwinkle. My son picked Periwinkle and hes super excited.

Whitney_erin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens are FAST! Lol
The kittens turned 3 weeks 2 days ago. They can now climb out of their welping box. What should I do about that? I feel they are still too young to walk around anywhere. Should I block them in? Should I upgrade them into a bigger "Box" I have a huge storage container I could turn into a play area. should I do that?

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When mine were about four week old I kitten proofed a room and blocked the door with barrier mum could jump. Maybe for now you could try a bigger box - but they will soon be zooming around
They are gorgeous :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is normal around the three week mark for kittens to begin to explore outside their nest.

It’s best if you can give them a whole kitten-proofed room for a few weeks.

They are too little to have the run of a whole house.

Give them some play mice and balls. They will entertain you with their antics!

Whitney_erin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kittens pooped everywhere in their bed last night and tracked it all everywhere. It's ALL OVER THEM! How can I clean them, I think mama did the best she could. But they all stink BAD! Can I wipe them down at least???

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can even bathe them with Dawn dish soap.

Was it diarrhea? Are they sick?

Are you litter training?

Whitney_erin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to make sure they were old enough to be bathed!
Ehh, it was just mushy kinda mustardy colored poo. Yesterday was their first taste at wet food mixed with formula, so I assume that was the cause of the poop explosion. lol. They'll be 5 weeks on Friday, and i'm just trying to get started on the early weaning process and litter training.
We have two litter box pans in two separate locations for them(Shallow, nonclumping) None have gone in it yet, but any time I see a kitten poo I immediately put them in the box along with the poo. They climb in and out, have no desire to eat it(One kitten put it in her mouth and spit it right back out.. so that's good) but haven't gone in it yet. I'm anxiously awaiting the moment. Tomorrow we upgrade their kitty area into our bar. Its a very large room, and were baby gating it off(Its also a step down into the room, so they shouldn't be able to escape just yet. haha)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmm. Mustard colored poop can be a sign of coccidia, which is caused by a parasite.

If this continues, they may need a round of Albon to cure it.

At 5 weeks they are barely ready to wean and litter train, and will probably need another couple of weeks.

Keep an eye on their pooping because most kittens do not have poop explosions when first weaning, especially not an entire litter.

Have you seen more yellow diarrhea today?

Whitney_erin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It wasn't diahrea.. It was just soft. Like it makes a swirl.. Just isn't dark in color.
I'm not weaning them, I'm just beginning the process. My vet said it was okay to give them a slush mix once to twice a day until their six weeks old and then she said I could mix dry or moisten dry food.. All while they're still nursing.
And the articles I read online say the same that you can introduce wet food and kmr between 4 to 5 weeks and kittens will begin eating the dry around 6 weeks.
The runt already nibbles the moms food every now and then.
BTW the kittens are all pooping in the litter box(the last infant kitten I had I got at 10 days old and bottle fed him and nursed him back to health and was able to litter box train him at 5 weeks.. With it being mastered by 6 to 7 weeks.)

Whitney_erin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The reason the poop was everywhere was because they tracked it everywhere with their feet... all in their box.. that they are able to come and go as they please in.
But I moved them all into my bar with a baby gate and have it set up, and they are doing good. They seem to all be pooping in the litter box. I watched 3 of them do it.
(It has a welping box, a separate cat bed, food & water dish which is Sassy's, two litter boxes, and I have a few puppy pads in there as well)