Advice on kitty having all teeth extracted

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all! Sir Samuel is a previous feral cat that over time I socialized and brought into the family. He has horrible teeth, and due to this he will be having the remaining 8 or 10 extracted on 11/11. His Vet started him on Clindamycin and Onsior today.

I've never had a kitty to have to have all their teeth extracted and am wondering what some of your experiences were? Any tips, ideas on food, just any advice period would be greatly appreciated!!

Here's a few pics, beginning with the reason I brought him in. He had a huge bite wound abcess that took forever to heal.
Screenshot_20211024-032238_Business Suite.jpg

Screenshot_20211024-032939_Business Suite.jpg

His teef
Screenshot_20210714-174013_Video Player.jpg

Him being a ham ;)
20211023_172239.jpg

Vet visit today
20211025_153032.jpg

Also he has a lot of vomitting, the Dr said this may be related to him pretty much just eating with his tongue?

Attachments

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Little Bitty Kitty One has no teeth. She was ten when we rescued her and she had two teeth, but they were rotten. Also, whoever had pulled her other teeth had left the roots behind, and they were starting to give her grief, so they were removed as well. She recovered pretty well, but she's pretty unflappable generally. She eats everything. I try to feed her mostly canned food, but she's a kibble junkie. Her other favourite foods include little white powdered doughnuts and roasted chicken. She seldom vomits. She does have some difficulty keeping her fur nice, as she has no incisors, so she does need to be combed regularly. She is very clean, though. Most of her is white and she is very, very white. If your cat is vomiting a lot, you could try watering down their food to slow them down. Wet food smeared all over a large, flat plate can help, too. There are shallow slow feeders. Pet Valu sells them, but I don't remember what they're called. They're made of silicone.
Your cat is beautiful. I hope he has an easy recovery. Its amazing the change in them, once all that pain is gone.
Here's Kitty Fantastic if you'd like to see her. She came named Kitty. That was it. So she's Kitty Kat, K.K., Little Bitty Kitty One, Kitty Fantastic, Kitty Pulse (if you're from Toronto, you'll get the joke), Miss Kitty...

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Once that gorgeous guy recovers and his mouth heals, he'll be able to eat anything he wants to eat. If he is a kibble fan, look for the smaller ones, although he'll gum the larger ones without much of an issue.

As for the vomiting, I'm more inclined to think that he is eating too fast. There are all sorts of puzzle feeders for both wet and dry food, to help cats slow down. Both Chewy and Amazon carry them, specifically for cats, and I'm betting that any of the larger pet care chains do, as well!

Thank you for saving this boy. LORD, but he is a pretty cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks you guys for the words of encouragement and ideas! Yes, he is a fast eater and also a kibble junkie....well, he's a foodie. He doesn't discriminate much.

Kittie Fantastic is gorgeous and very lucky to have such a doting momma!

And one look into Sir Samuel aka Chirp's eyes and you can NOT resist!! The minute he let me get that first full body pet in on my front porch, it was all over with.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a feral cat in my courtyard that had all teeth extracted a year ago. She had a chronic stomatitis, we tried to treat it with meds for a year, but eventually we had to have all her teeth extracted. She went fine afterwards, she would eat everything, both canned food and kibbles, as she still had her teeth.
Until this past summer, when I noticed she was still having issues and was off food. So I took her back to the vets and we saw that some roots have been left in place, and they proceeded with another extraction.
Again, she's fine and happy.
Her mouth was way worse than what you show in your photos, you can see my photos here

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
aw, that sweet kitty !! My friend had a kitty that had all her teeth extracted due to severe dental issues. she lived for years just fine eating only wet food. she drooled , but except for that you wouldn't know any difference. she felt so much better and was so much healthier once those bad teeth were out ! Good luck ... so awesome of you to help that sweet kitty !! :heartshape:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, poor baby! He's so lucky to have found you.

Happy is FIV+ and had to have all but her top two fangs removed when she was less than a year old. Poor diet and the virus had caused terrible gum disease, so the vet thought the easiest way to deal with it would just be to extract as many teeth as possible. It made the world of difference to her. She was on anti-inflammatory and pain medication before and after surgery, but healed up really well.

She eats like a little horse now.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a feral cat in my courtyard that had all teeth extracted a year ago. She had a chronic stomatitis, we tried to treat it with meds for a year, but eventually we had to have all her teeth extracted. She went fine afterwards, she would eat everything, both canned food and kibbles, as she still had her teeth.
Until this past summer, when I noticed she was still having issues and was off food. So I took her back to the vets and we saw that some roots have been left in place, and they proceeded with another extraction.
Again, she's fine and happy.
Her mouth was way worse than what you show in your photos, you can see my photos here
Oh my goodness, the progression photos are very interesting with the different treatments!! So glad in the end everything worked out for her!! I had never thought about a feral or semi-feral having a total or almost total extraction.

I'm so happy she has you to take such amazing care of her!! Btw I was also wondering, until the end, how in the world you were getting such great photos? Of course, the Vet. lol

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, the progression photos are very interesting with the different treatments!! So glad in the end everything worked out for her!! I had never thought about a feral or semi-feral having a total or almost total extraction.

I'm so happy she has you to take such amazing care of her!! Btw I was also wondering, until the end, how in the world you were getting such great photos? Of course, the Vet. lol
Glad that my thread has been of help for you and your Samuel.
Don't worry, everything will be fine and he will thank you for giving him a new life.

The photos, I took them with my phone while the vet was keeping the cat's mouth open for me ;)

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
one of my kitties, Bella, had dental issues. they told me she had to have all her teeth pulled. I agreed to let them. when they got her under anesthesia, they called me at work and said, they started to deep clean them, and it turned out they were not as bad as they initially thought. she had 8 extracted , in total, but no more dental issues after that. there was no stopping her in the eating department once her mouth was better !! :) you just never know sometimes... she ate wet, dry ..name it . might drop some occasionally...but did just fine !! please keep us posted on your sweet fur baby !

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat had all her back teeth removed and had zero issues. The vet said it might take her a few days for her to fully eat again but within an hour of coming back from her teeth being removed she ate all her wet food lol. Small kibble should be fine, or you can mix the kibble with some wet food. He shouldn't have any issues really. :)

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a little update, Sir Samuel had his dental today. The Doc extracted 5 and left 4 including his 2 fangs. Let me tell yall, LOL, the MINUTE we got home and he exited the carrier, beeline to the food dish!! OMG. I paced him w a half a 3 oz can every 30 mins for 2 hours. :flail:He kept looking at me like "Really, ma?? Come tf on." Needless to say he has bounced back 100%.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never seen a cat bounce back so quickly from a surgery!! He was not even groggy when I picked him up. lol He's eating a few kibble here and there but he has the option of canned in a room by himself, in small portions. (Due to all the regurgitation issues) But hes doing FABULOUS!!

To anyone who may see this thread and is on the fence ab numerous extractions, I highly recommend!!

My Sir Samuel has his spice back!!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a little update, Sir Samuel had his dental today. The Doc extracted 5 and left 4 including his 2 fangs. Let me tell yall, LOL, the MINUTE we got home and he exited the carrier, beeline to the food dish!! OMG. I paced him w a half a 3 oz can every 30 mins for 2 hours. :flail:He kept looking at me like "Really, ma?? Come tf on." Needless to say he has bounced back 100%.
Good for him! Though he probably had whatever they gave him for pain still in his system when he got home. Sometimes there is a delayed pain response when all the anesthesia, nerve blocks, or any other pain meds they gave him for the procedure have worn off. If you were sent home with pain meds, give them on the post-op care schedule whether he seems to need them or not. It's easier to stay ahead of pain than to catch up to it.

I would recommend making a proactive appointment with a dentist for six months out from now to see how everything is healing. General vets can do extractions well enough (usually.) But concerns like what the remaining teeth might be doing to his mouth when he eats or grooms is generally beyond their expertise. Some general vets don't even do extractions very well. I had one vet drill out some of Krista's teeth leaving the painful roots behind. I wouldn't have known this except for the dentist pointing it out on the X-rays during our consultation. Dentists often have two to six month wait times that don't generally don't change based on need. In other words, make the appointment now before he might need it. Because if you wait until he needs it, you'll still be waiting two to six months. You can always cancel his appointment if six months go by and he's not showing any signs of discomfort. Though I would just go through with it anyway. It's going to be another two to six months to get that appointment again if you canceled it prematurely.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good advice on the follow-up, will make an appt! :) Normal visits are so booked currently that it can be a month or so out before a routine exam opens up in my area.

He is on pain meds and antibiotics postop which seem to be doing their job. :heartshape: