Advice on kitten refusing to finish foods

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

So recently Winnies seemingly pickiness is getting worse. Usually I could get her to finish off cans with hot water, microwave, or milk. But now she only likes things from a freshly opened can. And it can be pretty much anything as long as it is pate (she hates cuts / meaty pieces), she will eat that first serving with gusto. However, she really only eats maybe 2 teaspoons (she’s 3.5lb), so a can can last as long as 24 hours. Getting her to finish the can just isnt happening, I have been having to toss 1/3 to 1/2 of the cans out (3oz cans) and opening fresh ones because she’ll refuse it for so long. I currently mix dry with it to make things more affordable, but I have tried without dry and it makes no difference.

At first I was storing the food in the cans covered in plastic but I bought tiny 3oz containers thinking it would help trap the smell and what not and the food goes straight in there and into the fridge. Leaving the food out doesn’t help either; if I put too much and she doesn’t finish she won’t want to eat it later but sometimes will. I’ve tried hot water, milk, microwave. Often she will refuse the food the second time and try to bury it but if I get a tiny bit on my finger and stick it to her nose she will lick it and it’s 50/50 on if she’ll go to eat then.

What else can I do? Is she just not hungry enough? How long can I let an almost 5mo kitten refuse to eat? I typically feed her 4-5 times a day, but small amounts. I leave dry out overnight, but she doesn’t like that either and rarely eats any (but sometimes). If she wouldn’t eat her meal before bed I will leave it on my nightstand and most of it is usually eaten by morning. I do worry about leaving wet out that long but so far it’s been okay.

I’ve tried many foods thinking she just didn’t like them but I think she likes them only 100% “fresh”. She’ll eat anything new with enthusiasm, and then not want to finish it after it’s “old”.

Advice to overcome this would be great! I wish I was made of money but having to throw out so much food is getting really worrisome if it continues into adult hood and needing more food! I’ll sometimes let my dog have what she won’t eat so it’s not a complete waste but cat food is calorie dense and she’s on a diet, lol.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It may be she is gettng bored with the same food/flavor.
I leave wet food out, it does not need to be refrigerated right away.
My cats often go back and finish a plate later.
Try offering different brands and flavors during the day.
If you refrigerate put in a glass dish. Many cats will wait till the food is room temperature before eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It may be she is gettng bored with the same food/flavor.
I leave wet food out, it does not need to be refrigerated right away.
My cats often go back and finish a plate later.
Try offering different brands and flavors during the day.
If you refrigerate put in a glass dish. Many cats will wait till the food is room temperature before eating.
I thought the boredom thing, too, but it seems unlikely. I have several brands and flavors at this point:
Fancy Feast
Sheba
Purina Pro Plan
Purina One
Instinct
Whole Earth Farms
Tiki Cat
Tiny Tiger

And flavors:
Turkey
Chicken
Beef
Salmon
'Seafood'
Turkey & Liver
Beef & Liver

All pate. She absolutely won't touch the cuts / meaty pieces from 'gravy' types but does like the gravy. I have the most success with Fancy Feast Classic Pate in Turkey flavor. I can get the most 'uses' out of a can.
I have not tried a glass dish to store it, will try that. I will also maybe try leaving it out for the day, instead of refrigerating immediately.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That looks like a nice selection.
Boredom can still come about by feeding the same food in a row till the can is finished. Put it aside and give her another variety.

My cats often come back and finish what is on the plate and I rotate about four new meals a day each a different food. I do sometimes throw out what is unfinished on the plate and open new.
But having two cats it is a bit easier, as I can split a can or packet between them and only need to refrigerate if have a very big can or tetra pack.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Crave? It's another brand in the individual cups. My Delilah loves it. Iams also has individual cups.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Crave? It's another brand in the individual cups. My Delilah loves it. Iams also has individual cups.
I haven’t tried Crave. I did try iams single serve kitten. She actually wouldn’t eat that one from the start!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of mine does the same. I open a sachet, he will eat half but later wont touch the other half. I mix a small amount of dry into the wet and it works for him, he will eat the lot. Have you tried that. You could crush some dry and sprinkle on top of the wet, if he likes cheese, grate a small amount on top. Does he have treats, if so crush and put on top of the wet.

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What I did with my two when they were kittens is I would feed only pate like you and used 3ounce cans of Fancy Feast but I would mix two different proteins together say like salmon and beef or chicken and mixed grill flavor or sometimes it was not mixed and fed as is. Granted you only have one cat and with two kittens I was using two cans per feeding so it was easy to do,

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Lydia is like that. We used this and it helped a TON

The SureFeed Sealed Pet Bowl from SureFlap

That looks very interesting!! Will definitely keep this in mind.
One of mine does the same. I open a sachet, he will eat half but later wont touch the other half. I mix a small amount of dry into the wet and it works for him, he will eat the lot. Have you tried that. You could crush some dry and sprinkle on top of the wet, if he likes cheese, grate a small amount on top. Does he have treats, if so crush and put on top of the wet.
I do mix dry into her food each time. And I have tried without dry, to see if it was any better but it wasn’t! I haven’t ventured into cheese and stuff yet. I found out I can get my dog to eat any kibble I want her to eat with coconut oil however :) Just found that out a few weeks ago and my stress levels are greatly reduced lol. I just hope I can find something that works for Winnie too.

What I did with my two when they were kittens is I would feed only pate like you and used 3ounce cans of Fancy Feast but I would mix two different proteins together say like salmon and beef or chicken and mixed grill flavor or sometimes it was not mixed and fed as is. Granted you only have one cat and with two kittens I was using two cans per feeding so it was easy to do,
As suggested above I’ve been doing a rotation since yesterday afternoon. I opened two cans of food, and used a different one each time. So far, it’s working! She even ate the refrigerated portion this morning. I don’t know if she just really loves these flavors (tiny tiger turkey and tiki cat rabbit pate), or if that was all I needed to do. Here’s hoping it keeps up 🤞

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also picked up some 4oz glass mason jars last night. I checked on Amazon but I didn’t want 20+ jars or to spend $30 on them lol. I thought these were cute if anyone might be looking for some. They had a pack of ‘regular’ lids instead of canning lids which is why I got them.

the lids:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I use lids for my cans. They have three ridges in them to accommodate different sized cans. This works much better than saran wrap which I've found either makes the food soggy or stinks up the fridge.

Maybe it sounds mean but my guys only get whats put in front of them, they don't like it? Go hungry. That's how I was raised. I also can't afford to waste food.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use lids for my cans. They have three ridges in them to accommodate different sized cans. This works much better than saran wrap which I've found either makes the food soggy or stinks up the fridge.

Maybe it sounds mean but my guys only get whats put in front of them, they don't like it? Go hungry. That's how I was raised. I also can't afford to waste food.
I was putting the cans in the fridge with press n seal over them until I purchased the little 3oz BPA plastic free containers. I do have the glass ones now. I personally have always disliked storing things in the cans themselves, for no other reason then I grew up being taught not to do it lol. I don't know if it matters at all.

You know, it's hard. I try to adopt the 'not going to eat it? I guess you aren't hungry then' attitude with my pets.But it just stressed me out to no end. Like, a not-healthy level of stress lol. I'm not capable of keeping it up for more than a few days... and my pets have typically been willing to wait much longer than I am (my dog held a record of 4.5 days before I couldn't take it anymore). It's just like. How would you rather die then eat that? I just don't want to feed it if they hate it that much, either :argh:

Had some more success tonight! Food had been in the fridge for many many hours and opened over 24 hours ago. She ate it all up, all I did was put a drizzle of hot water to make it moist again. Rotating the flavors throughout the day seems to be a really good idea, THANK YOU! Also she seems absolutely enthused with the new Tiki Cat Pates (rabbit flavor).

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does it seem like she eats enough in a day to maintain/gain weight? Just wondering since 3.5 lbs seems small for a 5 month old kitten

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does it seem like she eats enough in a day to maintain/gain weight? Just wondering since 3.5 lbs seems small for a 5 month old kitten
I thought she seemed small, too. But I think that might just be it... she's small. She looks very good, but she's tiny! I was at the vet a few days ago for shots and asked if her weight seemed okay and she said yes.

I basically let her eat as much as she wants to. 4-5 times a day with food also left out overnight that she'll eat from my nightstand. She used to only eat about 1/2 a can of 3oz wet a day (mixed with dry), and she has moved up to 3/4 of a can to 1 can a day + dry. She gained exactly 1lb since our last vet visit 3 weeks ago.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought she seemed small, too. But I think that might just be it... she's small. She looks very good, but she's tiny! I was at the vet a few days ago for shots and asked if her weight seemed okay and she said yes.

I basically let her eat as much as she wants to. 4-5 times a day with food also left out overnight that she'll eat from my nightstand. She used to only eat about 1/2 a can of 3oz wet a day (mixed with dry), and she has moved up to 3/4 of a can to 1 can a day + dry. She gained exactly 1lb since our last vet visit 3 weeks ago.
Ah ok so she has gained weight, that’s good to hear!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who was only 7lbs at her peak full grown. She was a runt according to the vet. Some cats are just small framed

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could be. I don't mind her being small, especially when she decides to curl up on my chest or hip.

When I adopted her 6 weeks ago she was the Nermal in a room of Garfields, if you know what I mean. She looked at me, walked across the shelf past the bullies, and climbed right on my shoulders. Of course I had to take her home.