Advice On Keeping Routine

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm coming to learn that one of my cats (well, both, but one especially) is hugely in need of a consistent routine. One or two days of variation for her is generally okay (ex. weekends) but having a sporadic schedule as one tends to have in the summer is not ideal for her.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to keep her daily activities more regulated, and how consistent those things might need to be?

For instance, they both have scheduled feeding, waking, and bed times every day that tend not too fluctuate TOO much (give or take an hour), but I'm wondering if her daily activities need to be planned out as well. Should I have designated play times, with specific times for her to play? Do you think that getting her more self-interactive toys would help her keep herself more regulated when I am out of the house? Obviously we still play a lot but I'm wondering if it needs to be around the same times every day.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Definitely want her to be as comfortable as possible but I'm finding it difficult to plan out MY day down to a normal routine, so it's sort of hard for me to give her something to work with.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

Should I have designated play times, with specific times for her to play?
Yes, try this, and...

Do you think that getting her more self-interactive toys would help her keep herself more regulated when I am out of the house?
Yes if she'll go for them :)

Also try some MusicForCats . com, there's an app called Relax My Cat, or even classical harp music. It's known to help cats relax.

By the way, do you have cat trees? Both upright and horizontal scratchers?
Also, can you take her for walks, on a routine basis? The mental and physical exercise may help her/them to cope a little better.

In addition, you could try some of these things;

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

19 Best Interactive Cat Toys: Your Ultimate List (2019) | Heavy.com

21 Best Cat Toys: Your Ultimate List (2019) | Heavy.com

Home - the Ripple Rug

Food Puzzles for Cats

The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

Favorite Cat Toys?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow...@furballsmom kinda covered it really well! And you, yourself, have pinpointed your biggest issue...planning your own day. So long as you are getting up at about the same time every day, weekends excepted (you said she's ok with a day or two), there are tricks and techniques to help you build a routine for your cat. There are even timed feeders available, if feeding on a schedule is an issue for you! Playtime with her is excellent. I suggest using a wand toy for this, as it tends to build confidence. Twice a day is fine, either when you have gotten up and your brain has engaged, or when you get in from work, and again at bedtime. Three times is better when you can manage it, but try to schedule the two times, at least.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both!

There are a ton of high spaces in the house for both of them and plenty of scratchers everywhere, along with lots of toys and fresh water bowls and litter boxes.

I actually just ordered a harness for her so once that comes in the mail I can hopefully take her on some walks or something!

She gets specified play time right before bed and before that is generally random throughout the day so now I will make sure I play with her upon waking up as well, and at some point through the day but at least she will have two specifically designated play times.

I am also going to be building a catio for them next week so fingers crossed that it helps enrich both of their lives!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Catios are wonderful! I can't have one at my rental unit, but should I ever own a home, that will be the first update to happen!