Advice On Introducing New Cat To Resident Cat

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to preface, I've read all the articles, watched the videos, etc. I understand patience is the key. However, one of the things all of the articles recommend is getting the cats to eat by each other on either side of the door. How would one accomplish something like that if resident cat is not motivated by food? I'm having a hard time even getting her into the room where the door separating them is. It's like she's just totally ignoring that he is there. We tried the room swap this morning, and she didn't even seem that interested in exploring his nest.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
How is he about her? If he's also not terribly agitated, why don't you carefully try letting them meet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
How is he about her? If he's also not terribly agitated, why don't you carefully try letting them meet?
He doesn't seem bothered. If she is outside the door, he will look, walk over that way a bit, and then come back for more petting.

She, on the other hand, I'm not sure about. Last night she came into the bedroom, sat and stared at the door for a bit, then left. Yesterday when we did the room swap, once when he (and DH) were outside the bedroom she growled and ran under the bed.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about first thing in the morning when you feed her breakfast?

You can stack 2 baby gates to block the door. There's a pic in this link:
Impulsively Adopted Two Kittens And I Regret It
Nope. She is not motivated by food. She likes to eat her wet food where she decides is a good place, and then only three licks or so. Her dry food (which I have to give her since she won't eat wet) is only in the guest bedroom. She is not even necessarily motivated by treats. She might gobble down a treat right now, but tonight decide she doesn't want it.

I have thinking about baby gates, or pet gates. I will look at that link. DH wants to crack the door, but I think the baby gates would be better if I could get them to work.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is the new cat, and resident cat? How long have you had the new cat?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is the new cat, and resident cat? How long have you had the new cat?
Resident cat (Cricket) is around 4 and new cat (Austin) is about 1.3 months. We have only had Austin 4 days. I am content to take it slow, but DH keeps "threatening" to let them meet face to face. Cricket is not happy Austin is here. She's not growling anymore (except the one time he was outside the door), but she is pretty much just ignoring his existence. Last night she did stand outside the door (a good distance away) and stare at it for about 2 minutes.

I want to wait until she comes in the room and shows more interest. DH thinks the reason Cricket is being standoffish or whatever is because she hasn't met him and doesn't know what's going on. No amount of showing him articles or you tube videos will get him to change his mind. He just tunes me out now. But so far he's been doing it my way.

I thought a baby gate would be a great idea. He says Austin will just jump over it. So stack them! Oh we can just open the door a crack.

So the battle will continue, lol.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never introduced cats, so I can't advise from experience, however, slow is usually better. You definitely don't want Cricket getting territorial and starting peed/spray around the house. Opening the door might work, if you can get Cricket interested enough to come check it out.