Advice on Introducing 2 New Cats to A Resident.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like a plan. Sorry, I wasn't feeling my best yesterday. Keep us posted on how things are going, but it sounds very like Natasha and Casper are a done deal, or shortly will be!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a plan. Sorry, I wasn't feeling my best yesterday. Keep us posted on how things are going, but it sounds very like Natasha and Casper are a done deal, or shortly will be!
Hope you’re feeling better. I’ve still been keeping them separate but right now when I do feed them their dishes are right on the other side of the door I’m usually in the room with the newbies since I can’t let them out and I have to feed them so I stay in the room while they’re eating. I can hear Casper eating his food because his is dry so it makes noise on the dish. When everybody’s done they walk away, Casper stays outside the door he’s still interested in getting in the room and of course Newbies want out. I’m going to try feeding them now with the gate up so that they can see a little bit of each other at the bottom. And see how that goes before I try having Natasha spend time out with him.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like a plan. And never consider it a failure if you have to back up a step here and there. That's pretty common.

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a plan. And never consider it a failure if you have to back up a step here and there. That's pretty common.
Thanks for the support, that’s nice to hear. I’m constantly fearful I’ll screw it up and ruin any hope of bonding. I did use the gate this morning. They all ate while seeing each other at least a few inches. Natasha stopped eating first more interested in trying to squeeze under the gate 😂.

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So today we did another feeding with the gate and some visual which went very well everybody was eating. Put up double gates and hung towels so it looks like the gates filled most of the doorway and raised the lower towel higher to give more visibility. Unfortunately while I wasn’t looking Loki managed to get out. I decided to go with it and let them spend some time together. Loki was OK when Casper went to sniff him but Casper didn’t like it when Loki wanted to sniff him back 😂 but no hissing no aggression. There was some chasing back-and-forth, I think Loki took this as play but Casper may have been a little bit aggressive with his response. But Loki just went and layed down. Eventually I did get both to play near each other. once Casper laid down I made sure to keep petting him while Loki was playing. I then gave Casper some treats while Loki was still near him although Loki did not like the treats. I’m having trouble finding something that will motivate the newbies more than just getting fed at dinner times. They don’t seem to like treats. After Casper’s treats I put Loki back in his room.
9E8C6147-276E-4AF3-B0E5-DDFA63DD169C.jpeg
I think tomorrow will try some time with Natasha.

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did some time yesterday with Casper and Natasha. She was very open to playing with him. But he was still unsure and batted at her a few times. I just distracted him and spent time playing with them at same time. Then gave him some treats and put him in my room so I could let Loki out with her for awhile. Today it was Loki’s turn again but strangely when he saw Casper in the living room window his tail got very puffed up and his ears were back. The sniffing went ok so there wasn’t any escalation. I did the playing with both then treats for Casper before putting him in my room to let her out.

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure when I should allow them time altogether.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
but no hissing no aggression. There was some chasing back-and-forth, I think Loki took this as play but Casper may have been a little bit aggressive with his response. But Loki just went and layed down.
That's kinda what you want to see. Newcomer gets a bit overwrought, and old-timer puts him in his place. Newcomer respects boundaries set and backs off. Casper is just teaching these little upstarts who is who and what is what in their new home. There will almost always be a certain amount of swatting, generally on the part of the resident cat, as a new social hierarchy is established. They really did very well together!

RULE OF THUMB: If there is no blood on the floor and no fur flying, it isn't a cat fight, it is a heated discussion.

As for when...whenever you can manage it, as often as you can manage it. These cats sound very much as if they are either close to or actually ready to start living with each other reasonably comfortably.

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As for when...whenever you can manage it, as often as you can manage it. These cats sound very much as if they are either close to or actually ready to start living with each other reasonably comfortably.
That’s good to hear. Thank you for your constant reviews and input. It is greatly appreciated it makes me feel better that they appear to be going in the right direction and that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today Casper and Loki spent time together. Seemed to go well. Lot of sniffing as usual. I played with both. They both ate some cream cheese off my fingers close to each other with no issue. Loki can disregard Casper and seems comfortable at times doing his own thing but Casper is not able to do the same. I let Natasha out with them for a bit. She batted at Casper but quickly rolled over so I know she was playing. When I see Casper start being what I call slinky (his tail is down and his body is lowered as he’s walking) I end the time together. Casper seems ok but only for short periods right now. I’ll feel better leaving them alone together if Casper can disengage from being so interested in where they’re going and what they’re doing. It seems to stress him out eventually.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Things are moving right along! And you're doing just right when Caspar goes into stalk mode. If he can't be distracted, remove one of the two cats for a bit. Little by little, Casper will be better able to tune them out, and to deal with them. This can take weeks, even months, for some cats, so you're doing well!

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Things are moving right along! And you're doing just right when Caspar goes into stalk mode. If he can't be distracted, remove one of the two cats for a bit.
Is it okay to remove Casper when he gets that way? I need to give playtime outside their room especially on the days I have to work nights because they’ll get less time on those days. Once I can let Casper out I give him treats and food so it doesn’t seem like it was a punishment.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, although I'd try to distract him without removing him first. If that doesn't work, then remove.

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, although I'd try to distract him without removing him first. If that doesn't work, then remove.
Ok thanks. It’s difficult to distract him at times. But I only remove him long enough to get them back in their room so I can let him come out and be on his own again and feel comfortable.

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday and today I’ve had them all out together. Loki is a bit nuts, a ton of energy he’s even too much for Natasha at times and definitely too much for Casper. Casper is just kind of staying out of the way but keeping an eye on everything. I’m hoping for a time that Loki gets tired and just relaxes for a bit but that doesn’t seem to be coming. But no fights no crazy aggression a bit of chasing. And literally just as I wrote that last bit, Loki jumped up next to Casper and smacked him in the head. So playtime over. It seems the more comfortable Loki gets the more aggressive he gets with Casper so I’m not sure how to diffuse that.

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had Casper and Loki eating Lick-up treats right next to each other with no issues. I think Loki’s aggression might be over stimulation? But short of putting away all their toys not sure how I can combat that. Before the extra toys he just tore around the house, not letting me or anyone get in his way 😂

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lord. Play it by ear. I think you're doing fine. And putting up the toys so that Loki doesn't have anything to take that energy out on could backfire badly! But if they eat next to each other, things are going well. Just keep tabs, and remove one of them for a bit of a cool-out period when necessary. Seems like you REALLY named Loki right!

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Seems like you REALLY named Loki right!
I know right? I feel like I jinxed myself there 😂 I wouldn’t really take their toys of course. I do think things will calm down when I can have them together for full days and nights and some extended periods of calm, when it’s not all “I just got out of jail” craziness. I have the next 4 days to try total togetherness. I will however put the newbies in their room if I need to be out of the house for an extended period.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent plan.

My neighbor, not being familiar with 6-month-old kittens, was threatening to name hers "Uriel Michael Fredrico Nicholas Cat, and calling him by his initials. I convinced her that it might be a self-fulfilling prophecy, and to call him "Uriel," which was, at least, angelic.

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my last post was last Saturday which was the first day they were all allowed out together throughout the day and night. Everyone seem to be OK together there have been a few occasions I’ve seen Natasha chase after Casper with her tail all puffy but it never becomes a fight and it may have been that he just scared her but I didn’t see how it started I only saw the ending. The most challenging times are between Loki and Casper. At times all is well and everyone’s in their own little world and the next thing I know Casper is hissing at him and they’re having a little back-and-forth batting, or Casper takes a swipe at him followed by Loki pouncing on him but then running away. It hasn’t gotten to a knock down drag out or any screeching and seriously aggressive behavior. So I’m hoping it’s just them kind of working out their stuff. But I do feel like I don’t think they’re going to get to any kind of BFF stage. I could be wrong and things could change but I think for this group I’m going to be lucky if everybody just stays in their own lane and at least tolerates each other. While the two newbies seem very sweet, and Loki has gotten on my lap a couple of times they don’t seem overly affectionate or interested in humans very much. I’m hoping that may change over time.