Advice on how to feed my guys pkease.

Stephen Jo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted the best boys in January, 1.5 years at that time, Finn and Ferb, the most loveable fellows ever. I have never had indoor cats before. They are just big kitties genetically, supposedly, per the vet and everyone. However...I want to be sure I am doing what is best for them. I just cannot get enough food intoned! Seriously. It doesn't matter what I do. I free-fed them,, I have tried portioning out, nothing seems to matter. I have had them tested for parasites and blood work is normal. The black and white one is nearly 32 pounds and the black one is right around 25. As you can see, they don't appear unhealthy heavy or anything. I just would like advice from cat lovers. I don't have a clue what I'm doing at all.

I am going to try and add a picture. By the way...this pic was a fluke. I have no idea what they were looking at...but it was awesome! Haaa!
20210221_123656.jpg

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
32 and 25 pds? They do not look that big. Free feeding They will gain weight. What do you feed them? My cats are 7 and 9 pds. They are fed wet 3x a day,small portions and with a timer at night

FB_IMG_1630627627091.jpg

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
They were probably looking at a fly. Flies and roaches. Their hearing is far support to a dogs

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The definitely don't look as large as you say they weigh. Did the Vet weigh them or did you weigh them, and if YOU did it, how did you do it? I'm just wondering if they really don't weigh that much. They really do look like "normal sized" cats in the picture, although there really isn't anything else in the picture to compare them to :wink:.

So if you are free feeding, what is happening? Are they eating it all in just a few minutes or what? And when you have tried portioning it out, what happens then? How many times per day did you try feeding them portions? How much has your Vet said they need to eat? Usually they would tell you how many calories they should each get, since different foods contain different calories.

We really need more information in order to help you. But they look good as they are. Not too thin and not overweight.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I adopted the best boys in January, 1.5 years at that time, Finn and Ferb, the most loveable fellows ever. I have never had indoor cats before. They are just big kitties genetically, supposedly, per the vet and everyone. However...
To me, they look like normal size and not over weight cats. Since they are genetically big kitties, on top of that as they are male cats, male cats are bigger in size as compared to female cats. They can be as big as a small dog, example a toy poodle or west highland terrier in that class of size.

I think it's ok if a cat is a little pudgy.

Here's a weight chart to see if they are overweight.

Q2FPH.jpg

*Off topic a little, I think your cats are looking at maggie101 maggie101 cats :lol:

Last edited: