Advice on harness

Gary O

Mad Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to take my house cats for a walk in the garden to see how they would get on with wearing a harness. Unfortunately, it went well until one of them discovered that he could wriggle out of it by walking backward against the lead. Timmy is 11 months and Shani 10, I would really like to be able to take them for short hikes or picnics in the summer, can anyone give advice, I don't know if the harness was too lose or whether it was not a good design, any tips gladly received.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Review of cat harness and recommended
Metpet cat walking jacket
PROS:
⦁ Good quality
⦁ Simple design
⦁ Lightweight
⦁ Highly adjustable
⦁ Low maintenance – just wipe clean
⦁ Strong fabric
⦁ “Escape proof” as far as my cats are concerned
⦁ This harness is 19 years old so has stood the test of time
CONS:
⦁ If cat is a “puller” it can be harsh on the neck. Using a bungy lead can alleviate this issue to a certain extent
⦁ No padding (however Metpet now makes a padded version, which I have not tried)
Sorry pic wouldnt come across but can look it up on the net. Padded version would be good.
Normal H style harnesses are pretty useless if the cat is determined to escape and can be backed out of in a blink of an eye.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gary O

Mad Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much, I found it on the net, need to find out if Metpet sell in UK but if not, I can see how it is and will try to find similar; I can tell this is much more secure than the ones I had for mine. That is very helpful👍

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much, I found it on the net, need to find out if Metpet sell in UK but if not, I can see how it is and will try to find similar; I can tell this is much more secure than the ones I had for mine. That is very helpful👍
No worries..tried and tested on Bengals so you will be safe with it..lol
We can get them is Australia so you shouldnt have any problems.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found that cats can back out of any harness made with narrow straps, though the figure 8 harnesses are the worst.

Rather than recommending a specific brand which may or may not be available in your area, here's a list of things to look for in a harness:
  • Wide straps, at least 3/4 of an inch (19 mm] wide. 1 inch (2.5 cm) is not too wide.
  • One strap goes around the neck and one around the body, connected by a third strap on the belly. (It may all be one piece, as long as the part that goes around the neck can be adjusted for size and so can the part that goes around the belly.) Straps that go around the cat must be completely adjustable for size and should each have a separate clasp. Additionally, straps should be connected on the back - a narrow strap is acceptable there.
  • Padded, breathable straps are better.
  • And, of course, a D-ring, either on the neck strap where the back strap connects to it or on the back strap itself. This is where you attach the leash.
Here is an example of a good harness: COMFORT SOFT Mesh Cat Harness & Leash, Blue Lagoon, 11 to 14-in chest - Chewy.com

Extensible leashes are extremely likely to cause trouble - either the cat climbing a tree or the cat getting the leash tangled around and through various objects.

Margret

Last edited:

Gary O

Mad Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
Looked everywhere in UK only ones with three straps are made for dogs. I got two Rabbitgoo brand, quite good but neck part doesn't open as much as I would like. Otherwise nice and sturdy once on.

Gary O

Mad Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
I've found that cats can back out of any harness made with narrow straps, though the figure 8 harnesses are the worst.

Rather than recommending a specific brand which may or may not be available in your area, here's a list of things to look for in a harness:
  • Wide straps, at least 3/4 of an inch (19 mm] wide. 1 inch (2.5 cm) is not too wide.
  • One strap goes around the neck and one around the body, connected by a third strap on the belly. (It may all be one piece, as long as the part that goes around the neck can be adjusted for size and so can the part that goes around the belly.) Straps that go around the cat must be completely adjustable for size and should each have a separate clasp. Additionally, straps should be connected on the back - a narrow strap is acceptable there.
  • Padded, breathable straps are better.
  • And, of course, a D-ring, either on the neck strap where the back strap connects to it or on the back strap itself. This is where you attach the leash.
Here is an example of a good harness: COMFORT SOFT Mesh Cat Harness & Leash, Blue Lagoon, 11 to 14-in chest - Chewy.com

Extensible leashes are extremely likely to cause trouble - either the cat climbing a tree or the cat getting the leash tangled around and through various objects.

Margret
Only just seen this, I got Rabbitgoo brand fits all those requirements 👍

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ours are from RC pets from Ren's which may only be in Canada but I'm hoping photos help to show what it's like.

It slips over the head and buckles at the body. And is made in a way where it's hard for them to slip out. The photo is of the chest which we only have a photo like this or Calcifer.

I found some photos of Magnus that show the shape and all of the harness. He's a worm so it's very slip-proof even when he's rolling everywhere.

IMG_20220416_173047628.jpg Screenshot_20221007-092551~2.png Screenshot_20221007-092602~2.png Screenshot_20221007-092635-183.png

He frequently has a jacket or sweater overtop of it, so that helps to keep it on also. Our favourite is this one for dogs....I think dachshunds. It has a space for the harness to come through. The second best one I made out of a legwarmer and pull the harness tack through the weave. Screenshot_20221007-091722~2.png