Advice On Extra Calories For Overly Thin Cat

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had 6+ cats over the years. One was quite thin as a 1 year old, the vet said he was the "ideal cat weight" even if he felt a bit skinny to us. As a 6 year old, that cat is now long and lean, feels just right. Our other cat though, approaching two, is a whole other thing. She is happy and healthy, but I suspect she qualifies as just a bit clinically underweight. Always been that way. I say suspect because she is a medium hair cat, and it isn't so easy to compare her to the online illustrations. They have dry or moist food available most of the day and night, she just doesn't eat that much. Now we don't take cats to the vet absent a problem, you can judge that if you like, but in any event, she hasn't been since she was a kitten. I don't think its a real health issue in any event, as she is behaviorally normal in all respects, and actually weighs considerably more than one would expect from feeling her body shape. So I'm thinking I'd like to do some special feedings of a higher calorie food for her only. Any suggestions?

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try to give tiny but frequently meals (5 meals for example a day) cats in the wild eat a little bit and then eat again,that’s how they work.
Also try to give it either good quality food or kitten food that will make your cat gain weight faster (but not too fast)
(You can buy Salmon Oil so that your cat’s food looks better for your cat)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do 4 meals a day, and there is usually left over dry or moist food sitting uneaten. At night they are given quite a bit -- just the right amount so that it usually all gone in the morning, but sometimes there is leftovers.

I wondered about giving kitten food for a snack. I'll try the Salmon Oil. Sometimes I sprinkle a little catnip on the food, but that has a stronger effect on the older cat.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I don't think its a real health issue in any event, as she is behaviorally normal in all respects, and actually weighs considerably more than one would expect from feeling her body shape. So I'm thinking I'd like to do some special feedings of a higher calorie food for her only. Any suggestions?
As long as there's no underlying health issues, I shouldn't worry that much and also if she weighs in within the range of an ideal weight, guess it's just her body composition is like that.

You can try running your fingers gently along her ribs and feel how boney she is. As she is a Medium Hair cat, it's a little harder feeling for the ribs. As long as she is not boney to touch, she should be in the right range.

You may want to try feeding her food meant for kittens to boost her weight as kitten food is higher in calories.

Here's a chart for comparison :-

Q2FPH.jpg

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad tabbytom tabbytom posted the chart: even the "ideal" body weight on these charts can look a bit thin, as our medium hair cat, Ireland, looks. Our fluffy cat, though, looks chunky. The vet's happy with both cats' weights.

As tabbytom says, if there aren't any underlying health issues I wouldn't worry too much unless the cat's not eating much at all. That said, I do generally like to see Ireland eat more because I don't want her to lose weight! Kitten food might be a good option for your cat. Fancy Feast Classics might also be a good option: they're pretty caloric and the calories come from protein and fat rather than carbs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen that chart before, and do think she is either a 1 or a 2, so I'll likely take some of the feeding suggestions to see if I can interest her in more calories even if its true that she has always been this way and seems very healthy.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've seen that chart before, and do think she is either a 1 or a 2, so I'll likely take some of the feeding suggestions to see if I can interest her in more calories even if its true that she has always been this way and seems very healthy.
#2 is just 10% under. Guess it's not that much of a concern unless there's underlying health issues.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats does prefer to eat many small meals a day so I use a food timer. It's
The only way she will get enough to eat. I keep forgetting to set it. She doesn't finish her whole meal. So a few bites of food are left in the bowl. I put it away,she comes back 5 minutes later for more

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it would be worth taking her to the clinic just to have her properly weighed. At least you'll know where you're starting from. The multiple small meals throughout the day is a great idea, and even engaging her to eat with a food ball or other interactive feeder if she's an active, inquisitive cat. A month after you make changes, take her back to the clinic and weigh her again and see what you've accomplished.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
think it would be worth taking her to the clinic just to have her properly weighed.
If you have a weighing machine at home will do just fine. First weigh yourself and note your own weight. Then carry the cat and weigh together and after that subtract your weight and you have your cat's weight. No need to go the clinic and just to get your cat weighed :thumbsup:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
ts not as accurate though, doing it that way, and you can be off by a pound or two.
If that happens, get a good scale. Bad scales often gives a wrong reading. Digital scales are more accurate. Plus minus a little is ok. Don't have to be that accurate. They don't always weigh the same. Their weight varies from day to day.

As long as cat has no underlying health issues, a little pudgy, not too fat or a little thin, not skin and bones is ok.