Advice on cat symptoms

BigLazyBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, new user here who's very interested in some advice regarding our baby's symptoms that started on Monday night. I'll make it simple by posting the facts in sequential order.

Monday night
- Fine until late on, when she suddenly went under the bed and wouldn't come out when called (unusual). She came out after a while with her tail between her legs and went for a poo (looked normal), vomit once (just food), then back to hiding. Eventually came out but spent the entire night sleeping in various spots on the floor, which again is unusual.

Tuesday
- Big improvements all around. Ate food, drank plenty of water, was interested in toys, and even spent time in the afternoon sunbathing on the bed.
- Still some moderate hiding behaviour but nothing especially concerning.
- Called vets and was advised to monitor for the day

Wednesday
- Big regression. Hiding essentially all day, unresponsive to calls, no interest in food or toys, and generally just looks depressed and unhappy.

Thursday
- Still unresponsive and depressive. Observed her tail between her legs and some excess grooming in the anal region
- Took her to the vets and she was admitted overnight. Vet stated she had a high temperature upon admittance which was main reason for overnight observation.
- Blood test completed which came out 'perfectly normal' (transcribed verbatim), with only a slight reduction in white blood cell count which she didn't seem particularly concerned about.
- Vet highly suspects an infection

Friday
- Vet said she had a decent night. Temperature stabilised but no eating. Urine sample not possible during overnight stay. Still suspects infection of some origin. We brought her home with a 7 day course of antibiotics to take twice a day and an anti-inflammatory agent to take once per day
- Immediately upon coming home she eats food and does a wee (litter tray wasn't as clean as hoped so sample contaminated unfortunately). Seems completely normal

Saturday
- Still seems good and is generally interested in treats, toys and drinking plenty of water. Administering meds is like hell on earth but otherwise straightforward. Some mild hiding behaviour returns but I'm unconvinced that she doesn't simply just enjoy the spot

Sunday (today)
- Still seems generally ok but hasn't really eaten anything substantial despite being offered many times. She's drank water several times and done a wee but has yet to do a poo since returning home. She's still mildly interested in toys and sits on my lap occasionally but otherwise seems a little lethargic.
- Not sure if these symptoms are possibly due to antibiotics being used or the infection itself still being dealt with? I'll ask the vet tomorrow when we hopefully collect and deliver a clean urine sample, but some advice would still be welcome.

I apologise for the lengthy post but I am very anxious for some advice before we can hopefully get some solid word from the vet. I'm under the impression they think an infection is a likely diagnosis, and the possibility of a urinary infection was mentioned, but we're still unclear at the moment. More pressingly I'm wondering if anyone else who's cat has been prescribed antibiotics has experienced similar lethargy and lack of appetite and whether this might be medication-related or something else.

Thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BigLazyBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgot to mention: she is 6 years old, female, and not neutured

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Recently my Fritz was examined by a second opinion vet who prescribed Orbax for what she called a “slight UTI” - so slight an ultrasound was required to diagnose it. His urine sample lab work showed no signs of bacteria, four days prior his first urinalysis was perfect as well. Fritz’s diagnosis is diabetes, which means he has to eat prior to insulin injections. The Orbax made him incredibly lethargic and left him with no appetite whatsoever. I took him off the Orbax and have had no problems since. Your cat sounds constipated or blocked to me, just going off what you are describing, and often some plain canned pumpkin (make sure it isn’t the pumpkin pie filler, just plain pumpkin) would help with that. You might have to syringe feed it to her. If she were eating, you could mix in her food. Ask your vet about using a little stool softener, see what she recommends. If your girl has not pooed in two days, and last ate on Friday, she needs help with that, imo. I would also ask for a different antibiotic. As far as giving her meds to her, are they pills or liquids? If pills, coat in a small amount of cream cheese before popping in her mouth, that can really make it easier to pill.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pyometra is definitely a contestant here, so I would get that checked out.

I think constipation is also a good contender. Perhaps an x-ray or some form of laxative (discuss with your vet first) could help. Mixing a little egg yolk (raw or cooked) mixed in with her food can help move things a long, and won't harm her if she isn't constipated.

I think there is some concern with her not eating. If she goes too long without substantial food, she could get even sicker. Hills A/D is a great food for sick cats and is very enticing, so it may be just the ting she needs to get eating again. Other than that, you may want to enquire about an appetite stimulant from your vet. The antibiotics can definitely cause nausea and lack of appetite.

Both constipation and pyometra would cause the tail tuck behaviour, and the excessive grooming. The constipation would of course stop her defecating, and the pain from pyometra may make her reluctant to engage the muscles needed to defecate. It may be that her anal glands are infected, which again is painful, so getting them checked would pay off too, I believe.

Please keep us updated, we really do care.

BigLazyBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the responses, guys.

She still seems roughly the same today. She shows a general interest in food (ie she eats treats quite often when offered) but won't est anything substantial. Still drinking water and doesn't seem dehydrated when I lifted the skin on the nape of her neck. She still shows a bored sort of interest in toys and right now is sunbathing a bit on the bed.

I rang the vets this morning for advice, mainly as I wasn't sure I should give her the Loxicom meds this morning without her having eaten. I was advised this was correct and so it's just gonna be antibiotics today. The vet didn't seem overly concerned about her not pooing as she hasn't eaten much over the weekend, so there's little if anything to excrete. But right now we're still waiting for her to produce a urine sample to take in. I laid the litter at 7.30 this morning and she hasn't weed yet, although I'm aware she has to at some point as there seems to be no issues in that regard. I just hope she doesn't do a wee after the place has closed for the day, which knowing her she will do 🙄

BigLazyBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Got an update.

She finally did a wee and a poo this morning but she's been so fussy with the litter that we couldn't get a big enough sample. So we're still working on that. She's still not eating substantial meals but will enjoy treats when offered. However, I woke up this morning and noticed a wet patch on the bed where she'd been sitting. It didn't smell of anything so I assumed she'd drooled. But I also spotted a milky white discharge on the edge of the litter tray, and this afternoon I observed this same discharge coming out of her vagina after she'd been heavily grooming it. I'm now also seeing sticky patches on the bed where she's been sat, so I'm guessing some discharge is leaking when she's sat down. There's no smell to it and she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort today (although she slept basically all of yesterday), but the vet is gonna ring us tomorrow morning to discuss if this is something that will need to be seen.

Just seems like one endless road to nowhere at the minute. I can't even describe the stress of it all 😭

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Doing hands-free on my phone so if something doesn’t make sense that’s why. This honestly to me sounds like a pyometra. I am Mitra is an infected uterus. It is a life threatening condition that needs emergency surgery. I’m not trying to scare you but truthfully I don’t know why your vet never checked for that. It’s not hard to do. If I were you I would get us in somewhere today ask them to check if she has a pyometra. Reiterate that she has not been spayed and her age along with the symptoms of discharge. They can have a pyometra and not have a fever they can have a pyometra and have a decreased white blood cell count. They can also have an increased white blood cell count. I don’t think you should wait till tomorrow.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I completely agree with above, she NEEDS to be checked for pyometra ASAP, especially if she has discharge. She may not be showing discomfort due to the medication, but that doesn't make the infection any less serious.

BigLazyBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Seriously, thanks all you guys. Your advice and care has really been valuable ❤

We had to leave her overnight as by the time I posted the last update the vet was basically closed and the only alternative was an emergency vet, which would've sent the costs through the stratosphere. But thankfully she got through the night ok.

We got a call back from the vet this morning who was under the impression Pepper had been spayed. As soon as we said she hadn't she immediately mentioned pyometra and now that is the almost certain diagnosis. So we've just dropped her off at the vet again, ready for an ultrasound to confirm and then surgery 😣. Hopefully we might be able to bring her back tomorrow and that will be the end of what has been a horrible, ultra stressful experience.

BigLazyBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alas, just been confirmed via ultrasound that this is a case of pyometra and the surgery will be going ahead later today. I'm glad to finally have a diagnosis!

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so pleased that she is getting the surgery, so happy it wasn’t too late. She had that high temperature last Thursday, which is frightening. By tomorrow she will hopefully be back home, recuperating. Very glad for you both. Btw, what is her name?

BigLazyBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so pleased that she is getting the surgery, so happy it wasn’t too late. She had that high temperature last Thursday, which is frightening. By tomorrow she will hopefully be back home, recuperating. Very glad for you both. Btw, what is her name?
Thank you ❤ We'll get a call later today to let us know how it went so hopefully we'll be good to bring her back tomorrow as I suspect they'll want to keep an eye on her tonight (and god knows they should with how much this whole experience has cost!).

Oh, and her name is Pepper, more colloquially known as Princess given that's what she is 😂

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw, I had a Pepper once, a male. I can tell how much you love your little girl. Of course she is a princess, lol! I know, vet costs are skyrocketing. I have a boy recently diagnosed with diabetes, and all I can say is, thank goodness for pet insurance.

BigLazyBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another (great) update!

The surgery was performed a few hours ago and it all went well. Apparently it was quite a big pyometra, so thank god she was seen when she was otherwise I dread to think what the alternative would've been. Her temperature has stabilised and now they'll keep an eye on her overnight and tempt her with food. Then she gets to come home with her cute little onesie outfit to prevent wound licking 😂.

If it weren't for you guys I probably wouldn't have even known what a pyometra was (and it amazes me how I knew absolutely nothing about the adverse consequences of not spaying a female). So again, thank you. It's nice to know there are some nice people on the Internet after all!

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love happy endings! This is such great news, and she is so fortunate that she had this surgery. I know you feel a huge sense of relief! Your little princess will be fine now. Thrilled for you both!