Advice on bone marrow biopsy test

MeowHiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello.

I've posted before about my cat who was diagnosed with pancreatitis back in November.

She had a check up for her blood work a couple days ago and her Neutrophils were super low again. Her platelets were low also, but there was clumping on her blood samples.

I asked the vet about leukemia, the cancer, and he said we could do a bone marrow biopsy, but he didn't suggest it at this time. Mostly because my cat was acting normal and a biopsy is very stressful.

Since she was acting normal, and her blood tests showed clotting errors, the vet said to bring her home and come back in a month for another blood test.

Also, I am only feeding her wet hills I/d right now. I asked the vet if dry food could irritate her stomach and he said it could. Hence the wet food only diet right now.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A andreiamlm
fibonacci_das fibonacci_das

Search Results for Query: bone marrow

I am sorry that you did not receive a reply to this. If I am correct, the two members above did have bone marrow biopsies on their cats. More is included in the threads included above.

It seems as if your vet does not want to do a bone marrow biopsy now, but may want to in the future? Did you have a talk with the vet about the pros and cons of the biopsy, which might help you to make a decision, or was it just put on the table?

Bone Marrow Collection and Examination
https://wagwalking.com/cat/treatment/bone-marrow-biopsy

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't say as to doing it with a cat, but I've had a needle bone marrow biopsy done because I had a lot of the same symptoms as your kitty. It's very painful (I wondered why the doctor had three others come in the room when she was doing it), but the pain is extremely short in duration--maybe only two seconds or so. However, I did not appreciate the doctor's assessment of "There may be some discomfort."

So you will know, the ultimate diagnosis was idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura (ITP), which remains to this day. I am practically asymptomatic and it has little to no impact on my life after the initial problems went away. They needed to take the biopsy to rule out cancer. The procedure didn't seem to be all that risky, and certainly a relatively quick procedure.

Thought I'd give you an idea of what it entails.

Last edited:

P+P's Meom

What if I don't want to stay calm?
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I could make this font bigger and have flashing lights, I would.

I've had about 13 bone marrow biopsies and
I have a VERY STRONG OPINION on them.

Whether it's for yourself, but
*ESPECIALLY*
For a PET,

*DEMAND*
PRE-PROCEDURE
MEDICATION!!

They didn't give me enough for the first one - and it lasted ALOT LONGER than a couple seconds! The doctor who did it didn't have an FN clue. I had night terrors for months and refused to have the 2nd.

By the time the second time comes around, they've changed how it's done. They now had someone who's specifically trained and who's done a bazillion perform the biopsy.
(But, I get to go to a large teaching hospital. )

But most importantly, they doubled the meds.
I get enough Morphine and Versed to make me black out til it's over.

Yep, it's going to make the entire thing take longer cuz they give you the meds and then wait half an hour or so to let them take effect.
Tell them to freaking suck it up!
You're the one paying for it.
YOU are the boss!

There. Is. Absolutely. No. Reason. To. Cause. That. NEEDLESS. PAIN. In. This. Day. And. Age!

ESPECIALLY not an animal who doesn't understand
Why It's Being TORTURED.

I'm at high risk for a blood cancer and I get a bunch of tests every year because the cancer has no symptoms until it's too late for treatment.

ETA: In 2010, they found suspicious cells in my blood while doing routine test for something else.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeowHiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
🙀 I don't want to put my Kiki through that if I don't have to. I guess we'll see what her next blood test says and go from there.

Maybe there's some test that's less painful she might be eligible for. I told her vets that I don't care about the cost. That's what credit cards and pet insurance are for.