Advice on Benadryl

forloveofmonk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet suggested giving Monkey 1/2cc of Benadryl every 8 hours because she has some allergy and inflammation issues and the Benadryl helps inflammation. The problem is the flavor and I've tried stinky food, watering it down and adding some sugar (it worked for an antibiotic once, but not this). So I got the children's chewable and tried cutting it up to give her a small piece wrapped in cheese and she still foamed at the mouth and spit it out. Has anyone found anything that works to disguise the flavor enough to get it in? She's not a fan of pill pockets either

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hre's a thread that has more tips for things to hide pills in:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/321429/pilling-a-cat

Now, you're using Chldren's benedryl liquid, right?  Does it only come in one flavor?  What happens when you give it to her, does she foam at the mouth? 

My guys don't like Pill Pockets ether...none of their flavors.  If she's foaming at the mouth with the chewables, then they are not palatable to her and need to go down the hatch without her chewing them.  How big are the portions you are cutting them down to?  Small enough to try pilling, or can you not pill her at all?  If not, maybe you could see if this drug is available to be compounded into an injectible...that's how we always gave Callie her meds, because, I swear, for a tiny 5 lb cat, she had the jaws of a 100 lb pit bull
.  We couldn't pry her mouth open if our lives (or hers) depended on it. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't give the cheweable Benadryl. It's grape flavor, most likely fake with artifical flavorings, but I still would not risk giving grape anything to a cat. Grapes are harmful to cats.

Did you try just squirting the liquid into your cat's mouth? Not the entire 1/2 ml all at once. Just little 0.05 to 0.1 ml squirts with a few seconds break in between so your cat can swallow. Tilt your cat's head up to minmize the liquid being spit out. Gently rubbing the throat can help the cat swallow. Did you try both flavors? It comes in cherry and bubble gum, neither of which are cat-friendly but maybe your cat will tolerate one better than the other.

You can also ask your vet for other OTC allergy medicines to try. A pill can be finely crushed or ground up and hidden in a bit of canned food. Or try a pill dough in bacon flavor like this one. Some cats just don't like the Greenies Pill Pockets.

stormyskiez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might want to consider asking your vet for an allergy med to be compounded. I saw this recently and I am going to try it. The prices vary drastically so it is worth researching a compounding pharmacy near you or comparing prices before the vet call the prescription in.

http://peticub.com/compounding-c-92/     here is an example

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

forloveofmonk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have tried both pull and liquid. She doesn't tolerate the cherry or bubblegum flavor. She foams from them all.

I tried cutting the pill up small and wrapping it in some food small enough to swallow but she still managed to spit it up and chew it and then foamed.

I might call them and ask if they can compound something or if I can try a different allergy med

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can give 1/4 to 1/2 of a regular Claritin once daily.  I crush the pill into wet food and they get it that way.  You can also give Zyrtec, 1/2 tablet twice a day.  Again, crush into canned food.

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I give Zyrtec when needed. I cut open a soft treat (whiskas) and put it inside and smoosh it together. Has no clue.

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can give 1/4 to 1/2 of a regular Claritin once daily.  I crush the pill into wet food and they get it that way.  You can also give Zyrtec, 1/2 tablet twice a day.  Again, crush into canned food.
Steph, How long have you been using an antihistamine with your kitty? Just curious.

stormyskiez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had the tuna flavor compound made at a local pharmacy. He still foamed at the mouth, drooled all over and had a fit. The Vet prescribed chlorpheniramine 1 ml each day. $20 something dollars..........this is not going to work. I will have to try one of the above tricks.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Dasust, my herpes kitty has been on an antihistamine (we rotate) for about 8 or 9 years.  My 6 year old has been on half a dose for a few years and my asthma kitty has been on an antihistamine has been on one for about 4 years.

stormyskiez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
exactly what kind of Claritin is safe for cats? My cat freaks out giving him meds. My next move is to find something to crush and hide in food or a shot. Seems like a shot might be easiest for my stubborn cat.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise

You might want to consider asking your vet for an allergy med to be compounded. I saw this recently and I am going to try it. The prices vary drastically so it is worth researching a compounding pharmacy near you or comparing prices before the vet call the prescription in.

http://peticub.com/compounding-c-92/     here is an example
Compounding pharmacies shouldn't charge all that much to make it taste good.  Call around and ask if they offer flavors for cats and dogs, and if they do ask if they can compound an OTC item.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use plain generic Claritin (Loratadine).  It's a 10 mg tablet.  Start with 1/4 tablet and if that doesn't seem to be effective, move up to 1/2 tablet ONCE a day.  I add a couple of teaspoons of water to wet food, drop the pill in and crush it with the back of a spoon.  Then I mix it all up and serve. No foaming or anything like that. 

Be sure to get the regular loratadine and not anything with a -D on it.  No decongestant, just plain Claritin/loratadine.

Last edited:

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Dasust
, my herpes kitty has been on an antihistamine (we rotate) for about 8 or 9 years.  My 6 year old has been on half a dose for a few years and my asthma kitty has been on an antihistamine has been on one for about 4 years.
You are the only one that I have found that has had their cat on an antihistamine that long term. My vet recommended Zyrtec for environmental allergies. I was worried about long term use and am worried about long term side effects. I know humans have a nightmare of a time quitting Zyrtec. Have you ever taken your cats off an antihistamine just to see what happens? I am just a worry wart and have trust issues with vets. Thanks!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have taken her off the antihistamines in the past and she just sneezes and sneezes and is so miserable.  She's now 12 years old.  The only health issues (other than her herpes) that she has is that she had to have 2 teeth extracted earlier this year.  Her bloodwork was spot on when tested, too.