Advice On An Outdoor Cat...

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an outdoor cat that i feed everyday. I feed him because my mom liked him, she passed away 6 months ago of cancer. She wanted to bring him inside, but i didnt wanted us to have a 3rd cat. I regret not letting her bring him in. I wanted her to bring him in once we found out she was sick, but my brother refused. We live in his house.

I hate that he is outside, i need to sit with him for 20-30 minutes every single day, because 2 other cats come and fight him for his food. He gets scratches and has a mark of blood on his cheek and under his chin.

these other two cats have food, because there are two other people in the neighborhood that give out dry cat food. I give Tito wet food, because my mom wanted him to eat well. im willing to go out everday with him and feed him, but there are days when im tired, or in pain and just cant be outside in those hard chairs.

Right now my situation is not good, my car hasnt worked for 6 weeks, and had been barely working before that. I dont have a job, i was offered a job, but the place closed down.

I have plans of eventually moving out once i find a job, and can afford it. But that will be a long time from now.

I dont know what to do. My mom never wanted him adopted by strangers, in case they werent good people. My brother wont let me bring him in. The only other person that cares about him, my sister, cant adopt him, because her breathing gets severely affected when shes around cats.

She offered to me to have her as an outdoor cat, and put out food for him. She lives in a nice, and safe neighborhood. But i am nervous, because she lives an hour away.

Is it a good idea to change a cat into a completely different neighborhood? I know this isnt a serious problem, but im trying to care for him for my mothers memory.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless you for caring - your mom raised a compassionate person!

If your sister is able to provide the cat with a safe home, where he will be fed and sheltered, I would let her do it. The one thing you will have to do when he is relocated, though, is to confine him for up to a month in the new area. Cats are very territorial and he will try to find his way back to your brother's house otherwise.

If she has a shed or garage, he can live comfortably in a large dog crate for the month. A screened-in porch would work, too, as long as he can't escape it.

If she is able to do this, he should adjust to his new home fairly well. This way, you are both honoring your mom's memory by helping him find a safe place to live. Once you are back on your feet, you can help her by contributing to his food and vet care.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ondine ondine (as always) - said it perfectly :)

It's wonderful you're caring so much about this kitty - it sounds likely he wouldn't be doing well without your help (it sounds like he's a little "outmatched" with those other two outside guys). And it does sound as though you're doing the best that you can - which is so much more than many would do! So I wouldn't just leave him, if at all possible.

And bless your sister for offering to take him and feed him. Know that he will also need water available at all times - - and t's very important he have a shelter from the elements. Many of us here can point you toward sites that show you how to easily make VERY inexpensive shelters. Sometimes local animal shelters and/or spay & neuter clinics even have them pre-made, for sale VERY cheaply. It's worth checking around by phone. But I will say - even I managed to put several of these shelters together - - - - and if you knew my lack of "handyman ability" you'd understand :)

Is he (she?) spayed/neutered? If he's not - that'll increase the number of "cat spats" he gets into - - competing for mating rights, territory and food. If he isn't "fixed" - - most areas have clinics that offer VERY inexpensive (sometimes free) spays/neuters. Whether he stays where he is - or goes to your sister's - -that's a critical step in making sure he stays healthy and gets into less "trouble."

And as ondine ondine noted - - it's very important that your sister keep him confined for about a month (a large dog crate, etc. will work well - - again - if you do make this decision - please reach out on this site - many people have suggestions). If he's NOT confined it's an almost 100% certainty that the minute he's released at your sister's - he'll try desperately to find his way back home, despite it being so far away (cats are amazing, aren't they?). Most cats don't survive that kind of journey - understandably - but it's instinctual for them to find their last "home." But the good news is that if he's confined for a decent period of time - he eventually will come to understand that this NEW place (your sister's) is the place where nice people bring him food, and he'll stay.

Wishing you the best of luck and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for caring - your mom raised a compassionate person!

If your sister is able to provide the cat with a safe home, where he will be fed and sheltered, I would let her do it. The one thing you will have to do when he is relocated, though, is to confine him for up to a month in the new area. Cats are very territorial and he will try to find his way back to your brother's house otherwise.

If she has a shed or garage, he can live comfortably in a large dog crate for the month. A screened-in porch would work, too, as long as he can't escape it.

If she is able to do this, he should adjust to his new home fairly well. This way, you are both honoring your mom's memory by helping him find a safe place to live. Once you are back on your feet, you can help her by contributing to his food and vet care.
My sister cant have him in her home, she has severe cat allergies. But she is willing to feed him, and perhaps eventually build a porch catio. So he can be safe, and her allergies wont flare up.
Would it be safe to have him in a cat cage for a few weeks on her porch? It doesnt get too hot where they live so the weather wont be bad where they keep him. After the month, they plan to let him wander the neighborhood until they can afford the catio. But keep a bed, and food for him in the porch. Would this be okay?
or would it be cheaper to save up and just enclose her patio? Not sure what to do. lol money is not very good right now, i was just planning to buy a cat care with my amazon card. but maybe it wont be so expensive to enclose her porch? im not sure how to go about this.

I finally have my car back, and can take tito to the vet with my care credit card.

ondine ondine (as always) - said it perfectly :)

It's wonderful you're caring so much about this kitty - it sounds likely he wouldn't be doing well without your help (it sounds like he's a little "outmatched" with those other two outside guys). And it does sound as though you're doing the best that you can - which is so much more than many would do! So I wouldn't just leave him, if at all possible.

And bless your sister for offering to take him and feed him. Know that he will also need water available at all times - - and t's very important he have a shelter from the elements. Many of us here can point you toward sites that show you how to easily make VERY inexpensive shelters. Sometimes local animal shelters and/or spay & neuter clinics even have them pre-made, for sale VERY cheaply. It's worth checking around by phone. But I will say - even I managed to put several of these shelters together - - - - and if you knew my lack of "handyman ability" you'd understand :)

Is he (she?) spayed/neutered? If he's not - that'll increase the number of "cat spats" he gets into - - competing for mating rights, territory and food. If he isn't "fixed" - - most areas have clinics that offer VERY inexpensive (sometimes free) spays/neuters. Whether he stays where he is - or goes to your sister's - -that's a critical step in making sure he stays healthy and gets into less "trouble."

And as ondine ondine noted - - it's very important that your sister keep him confined for about a month (a large dog crate, etc. will work well - - again - if you do make this decision - please reach out on this site - many people have suggestions). If he's NOT confined it's an almost 100% certainty that the minute he's released at your sister's - he'll try desperately to find his way back home, despite it being so far away (cats are amazing, aren't they?). Most cats don't survive that kind of journey - understandably - but it's instinctual for them to find their last "home." But the good news is that if he's confined for a decent period of time - he eventually will come to understand that this NEW place (your sister's) is the place where nice people bring him food, and he'll stay.

Wishing you the best of luck and keep us posted!
No, he isnt neutered.But i am planning to do that now that i have a car. Any advice on how to enclose a patio, or make a cat enclosure cheaply would be appreciated. My sister has a porch. But it has a big opening, and a few archways. Would he be uncomfortable in an enclosure for an entire month?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He may get a little ansty but better that than him being hurt trying to get back to what he considers home. If you or your sister is handy, you could frame out the arches and openings and put wire on them - making the porch a larger "cage" for him. Even if you frame in only part of it, he will be like a king in his own castle.