Advice Needed!!!

BlessedCharmant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a 5 month old kitty that I adopted from the Humane Society and she is truly a blessing. Full of affection, love, energy, and just a great kitty! However, I just have so much going on in my life that I’m not home a lot. Sometimes gone by 8 am and gone until 8-9 pm. I feel so guilty. Like I’m going to cause her mental issues by being so lonely. My question is; WOULD GETTING HER A FRIEND (another cat) help her? Would she be happier, or would she prefer to enjoy her solitude and being the only cat? I want to do what’s best for Tootsie. So if you all think another cat would be BENEFICIAL to her, I’ll get one! Or if you think she is fine—then I’ll leave it alone. I just want my baby happy and healthy! She has toys, of course. Which she is always playing with. But I worry she may need companionship that I’m not around enough to fill… But maybe it’s okay? Please let me know!!!

Thank you all so much!!!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, thank you for giving a home for this kitty.

5 month olds are still very active and playful and it really helps if she has a playmate. For young cats, playmates are an integral part of their social development.

But, it is up to you. You alone can sense if she seems lonely or sad at times.

You are doing a great job. Do not stress yourself.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you get another cat there's no guarantee they will get along no matter how hard you try to match their personalities. Have you thought about getting a camera so you can watch her when you are out of the house, it will give you a better idea of what she is doing. As long as you are able to play with her before leaving for the day and when you come home and she has toys to amuse herself with, I would think she is fine.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have space for a second kitten, can afford to have two long term, and understand that two can be twice the work and mischief, then I would get a second kitten. As young as your cat is she does need someone to play with and it is almost guaranteed that the two will become close friends. I would get your kitten spayed first if she isn’t already just so she can be all recovered before you add to your household.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with all above, except that it would be very very rare for kittens this young to not become fast friends and usually play a lot. Things can change later in life, but two young kittens close to always become friends (might take up to a week or so sometimes).