Advice needed - we've befriended very vocal stray / feral / semi-feral cat...

bjaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

My wife and I live a semi-nomadic lifestyle due to our tourism/diving related work, which leads us to move around every few months, rarely staying more than 6 months in one place. We’ve been in South-East Asia for the past few months, currently riding out the Covid-19 pandemic in Thailand.

We’re used to befriending local animals, usual dogs living on tropical islands or free roaming cats that abound in these parts, birds...

With lockdown, we ended up staying at home a lot, and interacting with the local stray/feral/semi-feral cats.
In our previous house for instance, 4 or 5 different cats would roam the area, getting food handouts from different houses including ours.
We befriended a mother, who would hang out and sleep outside our house everyday, knowing she could get a little cat food and water.
She was also hunting a lot would call her kittens out when she caught a bird or rat.

We moved out from this house a few months ago, to a new house further south with a slightly less urban setting, more of a closed off garden with a few houses. Here as well, there are many cats here roaming the area as well, and we befriended/fed three or four who often drop by, sleep on the terrace.

However, we’ve been experiencing something which is starting to worry us a little, what I can only describe as a overly affectionate (clingy?) and vocal young female cat…

We really don’t know what her story was, but she was very wild at first, hissing when would get close, while clearly appreciating food and attention.
I don’t think she was a former pet, judging by age, size and general behaviour.

I’d guess she’'s around a year old, hasn’t been neutered. She was very wild at first, actually more than the other cats in the area, meowing for food then always hissing when we would get close.
This lasted a while, a she would do call out insistently then hiss when we would feed her.
She was rubbing on legs with the others when being fed, and after a while we managed to pet her.
Now she seemingly enjoys it a lot and purrs, but still shows fear everyonce in while.
Tension, then relaxing and purring, often on the look-out, but now very relaxed, often rolling and showing her belly

She also generally doesn’really like it if we sit on the floor next to her outside for instance, more relaxed when we’re standing.
She always raises her hind legs when getting petted, but is not in heat, just a kind of reflex pose.
All cats around here scatter if your’re sweeping or even have a broom in your hand, implying that they’'ve probably been chased away in the past.
She also doesn't really play.
Because of these factors and her age, I doubt that she was once really a pet or housecat, but you never know...

I think the house we moved in was empty for at least 4 months, judging by the state it was in.
Maybe previous inhabitants fed the area’'s numerous strays like we did. There was a food dish outside, but it could have been for a dog as well (a lot of people, including all our neighbours, have dogs).

But this now resident cat also super vocal, meowing a lot, even when she has food. At first we wondered if there was something wrong with her, pain or distress, but it seems to be fine.
But she does seems to need attention more than food.

She recently started calling out to us from outside in the morning while we’re sleeping, really insistent, and she also has these phases during the day when she’s just calling us out, answering us when we’re talking inside (doors are always open in this tropical weather, but she’s kept out by fly-screens), hopping on the window sill, looking inside....
She kind of alternates between long sleeps on the terrace chairs and table and these vocal outbursts, with a real range of meows, which seem to stop only if someone comes to see her - we're refraining from doing that to avoid rewarding and reinforcing this slightly manic behaviour, only going to see her when she's quiet.

I’ve never seen this. It’s a little scary because she has really adopted us, staying outside our house all day, running over and meowing when we return from shopping, in the morning etc… And it’s clearly not just about the food, she basically has this habit of calling us out, stopping after a cuddle.

She’s also quite friendly with other neighbourhood cats who stop by, and eat not aggressive at all. On male is often there as well, they get along, she runs to him, purr, rub and call out to each other, and she'll eat if he's eating - overall much more vocal than cats usually are, which is a little strange (not mating or anything) - maybe it's a cultural thing?

We really don’t mind have her hang around all day (she sleeps on a table or chair most of the time) or meowing for food, but meowing for attention like this is a bit more than what we expected…
It’s a little overwhelming, especially since we’re not working at the moment and home everyday, and didn't intend to have a pet.
So we’re doing our best to ignore her when she’s calling out for attention, and give her attention when she’s quiet, to try to change this behaviour, but not sure what we can do about the meowing outside in the morning, outside our house. I think she starts at 6:30, and I’m afraid our dog-owning neighbours will start complaining,..

Unfortunately, as cute as she is, taking her in is not an option, as we work in tourism/diving, and rarely staying more than 6 months in the same place, and are in no material position to take care of a pet.
There's high chances we’ll end up in a remote part of Indonesia or in a resort island in the Maldives in the next 2 or 3 months, so traveling and living this kind of life with home and stability-loving animals such as domestic cats is not possible, not to mention quarantine/health issues.

We’'re not really worried about her welfare when she’'s gone (Burmese caretaker is feeding more than 10 cats... ), and in the stable, warm tropical weather we get in these parts, animals are quite happy ouside, with plenty of rats and birds to hunt, and frequent human hand-outs, Thai people do like cats a lot.
And she does hunt birds.

However, in the light of this experience, I’'m starting to feel it’s best to avoid feeding/interracting with cats altogether.
It's the first time we've had a cat get so affectionate/demanding and vocal, normally those we encouter continue to live their own lives, while enjoy food where they can get it.

I'm wondering if it's not really connected to the fact that we're always home at the moment, which increased her emotional dependency, and hearing us talk makes her want to let's say join-in?

Anyway, what would you say is going on here? Is there anything we can do to try to restore a little breathing room into this human-animal relation?

thanks

ben

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This happened to a Canadian friend of mine in Hawaii. Long story short, they ended up at the Canadian embassy getting papers to bring the cat home to Canada. I realize that you are not in a position to do that but I do think that the cat has adopted you, especially comparing your story to that of Mahalo, the Canadian/American cat. I was concerned that you were going to say that she would be left with no support when you left, but it appears that is not an issue. Maybe in future it is a good idea not to bond with local animals, not because you are not kind people who have helped them, but because it seems as if it is very upsetting to you. It would be to me as well even if I knew that the cat would live a decent life in her home after I left.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bjaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This happened to a Canadian friend of mine in Hawaii. Long story short, they ended up at the Canadian embassy getting papers to bring the cat home to Canada. I realize that you are not in a position to do that but I do think that the cat has adopted you, especially comparing your story to that of Mahalo, the Canadian/American cat. I was concerned that you were going to say that she would be left with no support when you left, but it appears that is not an issue. Maybe in future it is a good idea not to bond with local animals, not because you are not kind people who have helped them, but because it seems as if it is very upsetting to you. It would be to me as well even if I knew that the cat would live a decent life in her home after I left.
Yes, I think you're right. We would do the same if this was an option.
I'm not too worried about her welfare after we need to go, but we will definitely ask the houses' caretaker to look out for her.
I wouldn't say they same in a more urban environment or a big city like Bangkok, but if I’d say this kind of semi-urban area is a cat paradise. Cats are healthy, and biggest stress seem to be territorial disputes and mating.
Plenty of room, wilderness, many small animals to hunt and humans closeby, not many cars (just one road) and warm weather all year round, so probably a fuller life than that of a housecat for those used to this.

Besides, indoor/outdoor is not really that strict of a division in the tropics. We happen to have fly screens to keep the bugs, snakes and whatnot out, but otherwise everything is always open, except during the night, as the weather is always warm, just dry or wet.
Cats here are healthy and seem to live happy, intense lives. It might be linked to Buddhism, but Thai and Burmese people are usually quite friendly with cats, and they also often get food handouts from humans.
Stray dogs seem to be having a harder time though, and foundations like our local Soi Dog focus on helping them.

But that said, we also did not intend to cause potential emotional distress to an animal, which is a little upsetting - this is the first time that we feel an (stray? feral? not sure what to call these cats) animal has adopted us in this way, as in previous experiences cat's had always remained very independent.

There was not wake up call this morning though, she was sitting on a chair quietly next to one of the males who often shows up for food. They get along very well, and she's very affectionate to him as well, calling out and purring (yet not in heat), she seems to really like having someone around, feline or human...

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is very possible that if this is a house where others will stay ( if I am picturing this the right way) that the cat will befriend others who live in the house if they allow it. This may not be as sad as it seems if her ongoing lifestyle has made her very adaptive to people. I can imagine that life in this climate zone is comfortable for the entire year and if food and caretakers are available the lives of these cats is not bad in the general scheme of things. Mahalo, my friend's cat, had an ulcerated eye which the caretakers were not in any position to do anything about and that had a lot to do with their decision to adopt her.
Mahalo.jpg