Advice Needed Re Mating

kevintsh

Anya's Parent
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. My Cat - Anya is 7 months + now. She's a Traditional Persian (Grey & a little bit Gold color). You can see her photo on my thumbnail.
I'm planning to let her mate with my friend's cat (non-standard Munchkin).
Below is the photo, (also a Grey base color cat). what do you all think?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are the goals of your intended breeding program? It's difficult to offer advice without knowing what you have in mind. Why do you want to breed your cat? And why do you want to breed her to this particular male cat? What kind of health testing has been done on these two cats? Do you have a plan for any kittens she may produce?

7 months old is too young to breed your girl. At this age she is still a growing kitten. Keep her away from males so that she doesn't accidentally become pregnant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kevintsh

Anya's Parent
Young Cat
Purraise
What are the goals of your intended breeding program? It's difficult to offer advice without knowing what you have in mind. Why do you want to breed your cat? And why do you want to breed her to this particular male cat? What kind of health testing has been done on these two cats? Do you have a plan for any kittens she may produce?

7 months old is too young to breed your girl. At this age she is still a growing kitten. Keep her away from males so that she doesn't accidentally become pregnant.
I just thought of having more cats. Both cat received full vaccination. In September probably my cat will be 9 month old. is it still consider too young? please advise, I'm new and want to learn. thanks for your advise.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I share lutece's thoughts and concerns.
Your cat is very young still and too early to consider breeding from her even if you have plans for any kittens.
Both breeds are known to have health issues and health screening of both cats really is needed to ensure any kittens would not have serious health problems.

kevintsh

Anya's Parent
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'll probably take your advise and wait until she's older and then consults my Vet before taking any action. ;)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds like a nice plan. She looks gorgeous. The other thing you might want to think about is checking out cat shows in your area. That way you could show off your young beauty and maybe meet some breeders who could give advice and possibly even offer to mentor you if you decide to go forward with breeding.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are going to breed her, please make sure that she is PKD negative! Polycystic kidney disease is a genetic disease found in Persians and in some other breeds. It is incurable and can be painful. If she hasn't had the DNA test for it, I STRONGLY urge you to get it before breeding her, unless her breeder provided DNA certification that her parents were negative.

kevintsh

Anya's Parent
Young Cat
Purraise
If you are going to breed her, please make sure that she is PKD negative! Polycystic kidney disease is a genetic disease found in Persians and in some other breeds. It is incurable and can be painful. If she hasn't had the DNA test for it, I STRONGLY urge you to get it before breeding her, unless her breeder provided DNA certification that her parents were negative.
Noted. Will keep that in mind. Thanks. Appreciate it.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, this is a bad disease. I can attest to that fact. It can be painful. I was diagnosed with PKD 30 years ago and I am currently fighting it. My kidneys still work but, they can be quite painful.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
kevintsh kevintsh we just wanted to let you know that TCS is very much a pro spay and neuter site. You will find some threads about breeding, but they will involve a registered breeder and will be in the Breeders forum. Ethical breeders know what they are doing, and when that isn't the case, it's fraught with dangers.

You could well find this helpful: So You Think You Want To Become A Breeder?

I can see you want to do the right thing, and it's great that you're asking questions and taking on the advice given. :)

kevintsh

Anya's Parent
Young Cat
Purraise
kevintsh kevintsh we just wanted to let you know that TCS is very much a pro spay and neuter site. You will find some threads about breeding, but they will involve a registered breeder and will be in the Breeders forum. Ethical breeders know what they are doing, and when that isn't the case, it's fraught with dangers.

You could well find this helpful: So You Think You Want To Become A Breeder?

I can see you want to do the right thing, and it's great that you're asking questions and taking on the advice given. :)
Noted. Thank you for your patience

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are truly interested in breeding, why not get a mentor and a breeding/show quality cat? While your baby is gorgeous, she does not look to be breeder/show quality. The best reason to breed is to try to improve the breed, not to just produce more pets, which are available at any shelter. Breeding Persians is HARD! It is very expensive and sometimes heart breaking. Our last litter required a C section and we lost one of the kittens. There is all kinds of things that can blindside your plans. Consider these questions: Are you willing to sit up all night with a girl in labor in case there is a problem? Do you have the money set aside for an emergency vet visit? Could you help birth a stuck kitten? Does your schedule allow you to feed a kitten every 2 hours if needed? Are you emotionally ready to handle a kitten dying in your hands despite every effort to save them? Are you squeamish? Birth isn't pretty. Are you capable of letting the kittens go to their new homes when ready? Truthfully this one is hard for me. I am not saying these things happen all the time, but these and more are some of the problems I have faced. It doesn't make money for you either - most breeders spend more than they make doing it - money isn't the motivator.